Snap To Selection In The Sample Editor

Grateful to see the sum between two points in the sample editor. That will come in handy in more ways than one.

Currently Renoise has a total of 9 snap type functions from “0 Crossing” to “128th”.

An additional snap to current selection would be complimentary to such tasks as navigating and adding markers at irregular intervals, for example, every 12815 samples or 00.00.291 time.

How about something like a enable/disable [] symbol button next to the current “snap and options” button where if enabled, would disable the “snap and options” and use the current selection as new sample cursor jump.

i think this is a logical and useful thing to have.

Adding “custom” to the snap choices would be nice with the valuebox showing number of samples. When custom was selected it would be set to the current selection size. The custom value could be reset by making a selection while shift-key is being pressed (to avoid depress/press snap all the time for resetting the value).

^ i think it would be nice as well to allow for the ‘custom’ setting to be updated manually, ie. through inputting the exact numbers instead of having to always make a certain selection (which would possibly be more imprecise).

Both good ideas. After going through the motions in the sample editor, I may give more weight to rhowaldt’s suggestion because, and I could be wrong, intuitively sounds easier to implement. I just want to iterate the suggestions made to make sure I’ve understood both correctly…

– joule’s suggestion

1. make selection
  2. select “custom” snap
  3. sample editor reads the selection and adjusts according to the selection as the new custom sample cursor jump
  4. reset custom value by holding shift while making a new selection

– rhowaldt’s suggestion

1. make selection
  2. user reads the sum value of the selection shown in the sample editor
  3. user decides to input the sum information as the new custom sample cursor jump or not (if the numbers are too big, perhaps it can behave like the bpm values ?, where part of it is hidden)

– my suggestion, which is similar to joule’s in that the sample editor reads the selection and makes the adjustment

1. make selection
  2. select “custom” snap (a keybind-able button)
  3. sample editor reads the selection and adjusts according to the selection as the new custom sample cursor jump
  4. reset custom value by making new selection, then hitting “custom” snap.

Aside from the normal sample editor duties, this suggestion is as much as a rhythmic tool combined with “Slices to Track”.

I like your suggestion 00.1!

The only thing I was thinking about was how to potentially integrating it to the snap valuebox in the sample editor.