Snappy Adjustment for Drums for samples within Renoise

It is my understanding that the “snappy” adjustment on drum machines represents the adjustments present on an actual snare drum. I see this adjustment on all drum machines. I am in the process of building some drum machine instruments within Renoise and am wondering if anybody has any ideas as how to recreate this within Renoise. or is snappy even a feture that needt to be included. I am looking forward to see other’s thoughts on this. Has anybody else created drum machine style instruments? If so what are your must includes.

Many Thanks to all Renoisers!

1 Like

I use several Roland drum machines in my hardware setup (808,909,606,707) and the “snappy” control adds some kind of a modified noise to the snare to make it more crisp or let’s even say more agressive. It’s normally just a noise which is modified by sound coloring things like EQs, compressors or even saturation or some kind of slight distortion to make the snare sound more crisp in the attack and also make the body of the snare more “dirty”. Just try to add such a noise sound as the snappy feature to your snare. You also can try to use a clap sound instead of a noise and try to modify it with some EQs, filters, saturation etc.

3 Likes

I’m also a VST developer and made a VST for my own use to create my own electronic style kick drums. An electronic kick drum is just a simple sine wave with a fast pitch envelope modulation. You can easily create own style kicks with the renoise sampler, a looped single cycle sine wave sample and several envelopes with different settings and amounts to modulate the pitch of the sine. then you can add other samples like clicks, claps, percussions etc (all kind of sounds with fast transients) to create the attack part of the kick.

3 Likes

I’m also interested :slightly_smiling_face:
have a Roland GM Standart Drumset with Pan and Velocity Settings as Starting Point in Renoise

Use mainly a Yamaha RY-30 and think (not tried yet) the Yamaha AWM Sound Engine can be transferred to Renoise.

For Example:
1 Sound = 2 Voices
1 Voice = Snare Dry (Velocity 100)
2 Voice = Snare Snappy (Velocity 50)

You need a Controller for Velocity Voice 1 and a second Controller for Velocity Voice 2 to change the Volumes, the Snappy/Dry ratio (-99/+51) from Sound 1

2 Likes

Thank you for the input. I will continue to try to work this out and post back. Are you using hardware drum machines along with renoise or separate?

1 Like

Thank you for the information. Your approach is interesting! Please keep me posted on your progress with this.

1 Like

I’m interressted also in this and just now working an a new Supah>Doofer to emulate the Sp404 Vinyl//comp fx - not there yett BUT will post when done.

3 Likes

I often use my hardware drum machines with renoise to create my drums stuff.

1 Like

I have an installation Roland TD-K1. I did not think about such a method. There are different types of drums in my computer, but I did not like the sensitivity and the small number of them, it seems now I know how to solve this problem.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! I’m glad the topic got you thinking, that’s what it’s all about!

1 Like

Not sure if you already came across this if not this may be helpful with your project.

1 Like

Many thanks but this on I alreaddy did:

VinylSim is more like a Noisepluscompressor thing from the Sp404 sampler.
Actualy both of those (when vinsim is ready) will be a oerfect combination.