Snapshot Device

So what if it would be just a-b fader or have multiple pairs, or sequental snapshots, like a-b-c where latter is always compared to former. Then when taking snapshots all the params with equal values in compared pairs could be excluded all together, would decrease processing load I guess.

Did not think about VST thing so much since I generally use only simple effects and tend to use internal ones almost always. I haven’t come actoss with VST effect which would have such a huge parameter list that would be a problem, maybe some commercial monster synth as an effect? Absynth? That is possible, right?

yes, that would be obvious, but what if you change the preset of all you 10 devices and take a new snapshot ? the changed parameters could increase dramatically. i’m thinking at the worst case here, not about implementation details.

make the hydra super powerful so it can do this, then call it “mother of hydra” or something :D

hey that’s cool ! :D rofl

yet your nick contains something even cooler, and shorter, too ^^

seriously though, there is no question how much this would rock… just how it should work, my mind kinda blanks out on that…

Fear the kraken !

If you guys are finished lets go back on topic.

The point in not discarding equal values between snapshots when taking them rather than when choosing ones to be compared is that you could use any two and have them morph together with maybe different results.

I think that using the device so that machine used can handle it would be more in user responsibility. It would be pretty much stupid to expect several thousands of automated parameters not to have significant effect on processor load.

So maybe the global version should be forgotten.

If it would be possible to choose what devices to automate and what not it would of course be possible to have more control to what is happening, so if someone has a VST that has several thousands of parameters he could exclude it from snapshot. Of course similar results are schieved by not changing the parameters when making the snapshots. I really don’t think it would become a problem for me at least, because I rarely have such a huge need for modulating that much parameters.

Then I don’t know what should happen if value of snapshot controlled slider is changed from other source, maybe automation or pattern command would override, but there is similar problem with all other modulation devices because none of them work relative so I guess that is not any problem.

Maybe it would be kickass to have also ability to morph from whatever current state of tracks effects are to some snapshot, like having it take a temporary snapshot and using it as reference for that once, so that you could always morph to specific state of effects whatever had you done before. This could have its own symbol in snapshots. It would be like a parameter state variable. This would allow also to avoid stupid value jumps that couldotherwise happen when changing parameters after the morph and then morphing again. It could also be just one shot function that would morph effect in given time in lines to snapshot specified. Automated in pattern effects like xyzz, where z value would be the number of lines.

It sounds like you just described Buzz’s “Peer State” machine.

i can’t also discard equal values cause i wouldn’t have correct mapping when you take a new snapshot (also when saving the device)

yes i think that too, anyway a sensible limit should be put, even if high.

that would be perfect, but i think it will be too much overkill to provide this in a small device gui.

…or the integrated preset (A/ B) morphing feature in Polac’s VST loader.

2 commands to determine the presets
1 command for the inertia (time for morphing)
1 command for the morph itself (e.g. value 0 = preset A)

and that in Realtime.

all in all i remember this feature was requested a few times already.

btw: absynth and others which has its own internal preset management is a bit tricky to morph.

http://buzzmachines.com/machineinfo.php?id=851

That guy stole my idea. :angry: And it won’t even work in Renoise.

Ah, I luckily had one thought he did not implement yet, Renoise can still have an edge.

just to remember:
with such a device it would be possible to workaround the 16-parameter limit for vsti/vst automation.

Regarding effect pattern commands you mean?

yes, i should say the hexadecimal limit of pattern commands (esp. vst- automation → automationdevice)
but however it would be uber…

xtreme offtopic:
btw, i get timeouts with renoise.com for a month now.
i have to connect to renoise.com with a proxy. someone else with that prob?

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=19421&hl=
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=12611&hl=

I’ve suggested this a couple of times already. I’m very for it. I think the current answer is hydra device, but this would be much more powerful.

a snapshot device would be super useful

Bump!

Sorry…

+1

This would make things easier, but I imagine it would take some hard work to implement. Anyway, +1 from me too.

Could it be something similar to the Manage Snapshot in Mixer utilities tool by Beatslaughter? here