[Solved] Compression Side Chains

First of all, I can understand your frustration. More advanced audio routing is something that has been discussed quite a bit here on the forums, so we do understand that it’s a desirable feature. I’m pretty sure that it will be addressed at some point in the future, but at the moment it is not possible.

Second of all, it’s important to understand that sidechaining and audio routing are separate concepts. Sidechaining is simply a technique to convert an audio signal into a control signal for something else. It’s obviously very commonly used to control compression levels, but it can also apply to many other effects and situations. However, when connecting the Signal Follower device to a Gainer or Compressor (or various other devices), it is actually possible to perform your own sidechain compression techniques and do popular things like ‘ducking’ the volume of a bassline when the kick hits. But ultimately the Signal Follower is a meta device, so it cannot perform any audio routing; it can only control the parameters of other devices.

If this issue of audio routing was such a critical part of your workflow and something that can ‘make or break’ the software for you, then this should have been the first thing to test in the Renoise demo. This is why we do not place any major restrictions on the demo - so that people can fully test things and make sure that it works the way they expect.

Anyway… Hopefully this is not the end of the Renoise world for you. All DAWs have their pros and cons, their own unique characteristics and behaviours, etc. Try to think about all the awesome things that Renoise can do, rather than focusing on a few negative aspects. :)

Even though its not possible trough renoise, you are always welcome to use a vst.
I haven’t used this one but I know some people are and they are happy with it:
http://www.twistedlemon.nl/site/index.php

Btw sidekick 3 was for free, search the net if you dont want to pay.

Sorry to get so passionate… Just before buying I read that now sidechainning is possible. I was thinking so hard that it was audio routing… Not to simulate with the signal follower. For that, I was doing it already with LFOs or simply automation. But the Signal Follower is a nice add. Just for me audio routing seemed the vital thing to have : Total control over audio and midi signal, like that u can experiment to unleash the full power of your plug-ins.

I put a lot of emotions in my writings coz it’s the first time i buy a DAW. I always relied by the past on free things, and I wanted to make a foolish thing and spend the money (I know the others DAW are quite more expensive than Renoise, so for me it’s a direct no-go. Also thanks to my readings on this forum, I know now a lot of free plugs so no need to buy any synth finally). I waited for audio-routing inside plug-ins to make my decision and buy finally Renoise, after knowing the product for years, and loving it for what it was. So as soon as I read that SD was possible, I jumped in (after a little problem with VST synth, but this is nothing comparing to this routing thing).

Beside that, the glitch is awesome, thank you dBlue, I hope my post didn’t offend you. It was so obvious for me that audio routing was built-in (i mean routing into secondary inputs) that I was shocked when I understood that in fact it wasn’t. The other day I spend all my evening trying to achieve this, going to sleep too late, trying trying trying, telling myself “this isn’t possible” and the morning after I sent the message from work, in a really desperate mood.

For me for now the only thing Renoise lacks (except accepting more plug-ins format but this is an option) is this so important routing feature. Except that I can do everything I want and even more… But this is a “break” for me… I have to think how I will manage to overcome it. Hope energyXT is free and that it’ll be not too much cpu consuming :( (I don’t remember)

Could someone route me to topics where it is discussed about audio-routing inside plug-in feature and about why we can’t have the todo list to read ? I would like to know about it, but don’t want to make u repeat what was debated before ^^

Rakib > thank you for your advice ;) I don’t like the sound of sidekick sadly.

Kazakor > could u give me a details, I don’t understand exactly how it works ?

What I don’t regret, is to sign up on Renoise forum ^^ although this was free anyway :P

E.g. ► Renoise 2.6.1 Released (2.6 Bugfix Update)

Thank you !

I was wondering… If I miss some feature in Renoise, maybe I could add it myself ? I’m a coder but :

• I don’t know anything yet about VST sdk ^^
  • I, of course, don’t know anything about Renoise code :P
  • I did my thesis about audio synthesis… I started to make a Reaktor-like environment, all in Java :P of course that was basic, ugly, with few modules available (even if my Granular Synth was funny to play with :P). But really opened and extensible. Sadly I lost all this code while my hd crashed 6 years before (as well as all my music production, and the theory papers of my thesis). So I need to train a little before starting ;)

I said that as half-a-joke… I read that the Renoise team evolve over the years, with some roll-out. But for now I didn’t feel ready yet to really involve as I lack knowledge and training… But who knows maybe someday, that would be a dream ^^(and then I could add audio-routing inside plug-ins :D :D)

“I have a dream…”

Mmmh :P I don’t like to repeat myself but some other DAW with names beginning by R… are doing this…

Plus, since u can send audio buffer through a plug-in wrapper (I hope I use the right words :P), IMO routing a 2nd audio signal inside a second input of the same FX sounds… easy to me… especially with OO coding. Now clearly I miss something or I’m unaware of some detail coz it’s still not here.

I dying wish it will be there for 2.8 (or any other evolution number, if it’s there in 2.7.2 for me it’s the same as long as it’ll be there fast).
I don’t ask for anything, but I dream of it every single second of my life, I’ll feel uncomplete, inachieved, if I have not this.

I feel so bad about it guys… Like if my gf dropped me, or someone died. :D I’m burning from inside waiting for it. My life is stuck :D really

Oh, don’t misunderstand me, I still consider Renoise as a masterpiece, and almost the best DAW out there. But I can’t say the best anymore since I miss this feature.

When I start a new track, I begin always to route and put sidechainning (as well as other routing, inside plugs !). So for now I just can’t use it.

I need to grab info on energyXT to see if it’s free, or an alternative.
Or swith to R… :( I don’t want that…

@Davias : what I meant by the Martin Luther King quote was, that I too used to live in the future (I’m not being sarcastic, this is a perfectly normal condition for digital musicians).
I would simply try to experiment with some of the stuff that’s possible, IMO you’re missing out on some great opportunities.

i agree with you, in general.

The routing is predominant in my way to do music. First thing I do before even writing a note is to route, split freqs, sidechain, etc… I was even thinking to make a template once all my routing and sidechainning would have been ready.

If I don’t want to do it with the Signal Follower is that I will miss the special algos one can put in a vst.

Ok u are right I could make my own algorithms by combining internal DSP and thus achieve an original processing. But I don’t want that, I want to use state of the arts Compressor (or Dyn Eq, or Vocoder whatever) with their own specific algos.

I like renoise routing with the sends (even if you can’t send toward a previous track, but it’s funny to reorder them and see it working :P)

Another feature that is important to me is to use plug-ins.

So renoise was the perfect choice coz it has these features + the tracking interface (i would like a piano roll someday, as many users, it is so easy to make random melodies like this when u don’t have inspiration :P but I can manage easily without it) and all the polish on it.

But I intend to exploit the full power of theses plug-ins, if not then I would have been happy with something closed like Reason for example, that is a model regarding routing possibilies. For me if I can’t use the routing, then it’s incomplete. So I’ll have to bother with 3rd party routing, crippling my perfs. Or use a product i like less but that allow this kind of routing.

People often tends to remind only the negatives points, so I repeat : Renoise rocks, it’s so great about so many aspects.
Anyway, I could love this pearl the most i can, it lacks a top priority feature IMO. I was thinking this was fixed since long… (sorry to repeat myself). I’m really interested to know what is blocking with this feature.