[solved] "Ghost" .xrns file loading in 2.8.0-2.8.1 startup

When launching ReNoise, at startup I’m greeted by a xrns file that doesn’t exist; I know what it is, where it originally came from and had deleted it a few months ago in version 2.8. When I uninstalled 2.8 and upgraded to install 2.8.1 the file is still “present” but I am unable to locate/remove it. When I try to start a new song with Ctrl+N or selecting “new song”, I get the hour glass timer but, no change. When I select new song-no template, it does load a clean new song screen(Good!). When I close ReNoise and relaunch, the ghost xrns file reloads on startup.

As far as my PC (and myself) is concerned, the file is gone. I’ve tried alternating between 32 & 64 bit versions, as well as reverting to older versions of ReNoise to see if it’s just a version glitch but, the file loads regardless. Currently this is just a annoyance but, I am concerned this may affect future file saves, deletions, launch and startup in future versions; I have no idea how to correct it. I started using version 2.6 with Vista x64 with no issues until now - I’m not a power user so I don’t encounter a lot of the bugs that the Regulars do.

I suspect that you have somehow saved this track as a template. When you uninstall renoise the template still exists in the preferences folder and is loaded on your fresh install.

You can find the template and delete it if you want if you go to Help -> Show the Preferences folder.

or

To overwrite the template:
Open Renoise
New Song (no Template)
Go to the Song Settings tab
And save this empty song as the new template.

That worked, thank you B)

It is strange to me that the software would retain a previously deleted file/template from a previous version of ReNoise, only to reload in a clean install of a newer version.

Look in your [b]%appdata%\Renoise[/b] folder (simply copy/paste that location into Explorer, or Start > Run, etc)

In there you’ll see additional folders for each version of Renoise that you have installed. This is where we store things like your preferences, keyboard shortcuts, plugin database cache files, and also your template song as TemplateSong.xrns.

When upgrading to a new version of Renoise, all of these preferences and other files get migrated to the new version. If you want to have a completely clean Renoise installation, you should uninstall all previous versions first, then delete all of these preference folders if they are not completely removed, and then finally install the desired version of Renoise.