[Solved] Linux : Can Not (No Longer) Connect To Jack

:walkman:

I have a really strange bug with Renoise :

Renoise can not connect to jack server anymore!! AAAARRRGGG!!!..

Here is the Renoise crash log :

Renoise LOG> Jack: Trying to open client 'renoise'...  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: [0xb8036400]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(_IO_default_xsputn+0x67) [0xb7c46fd7]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(_IO_vfprintf+0x3923) [0xb7c20ae3]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(vsprintf+0x8c) [0xb7c3c02c]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(sprintf+0x2e) [0xb7c263de]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 [0xb7b90f59]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 [0xb7b91097]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 [0xb7b926b3]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 [0xb7b7b663]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 [0xb7b946ed]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /usr/lib/libjack-0.100.0.so.0 [0xb7b8fe43]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0 [0xb7ffe4fb]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(clone+0x5e) [0xb7cb5e5e]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: [(nil)]  
Renoise LOG> CrashLog: [(nil)]  
Renoise LOG> Application: Caught an unhandled exception (Thread: ??? (AUDIO Slaves?))!  
Renoise LOG> Application: Saving a backup...  
Cannot open renoise client  
no message buffer overruns  
Renoise LOG> Jack: Failed to open the Jack client!  
Renoise LOG> Error Message: Failed to open the jack client. Please make sure that the Jack server is running!  

Here is Jack message :

JackClientSocket::Read time out  
NotifyAddClient new_client fails name = renoise  
Cannot notify add client  
Cannot create new client  

More details :

I’m using :

• 64studio 3 (hardy)
  • 2.6.29-1-multimedia-686 #1 SMP PREEMPT RT
  • Tested with jackdmp 1.9.3 and 1.9.4
  • All the other jack applications are working very fine (ardour, hydrogen, guitarix, etc…)…No xrun, very stable (this kernel seems very great)
  • I have tested Renoise a lot on this config, and it was working so good, until I compile and install “guitarix” -> http://guitarix.sourceforge.net/
  • As guitarix has created some few ladspa effects during the installation, when I have started Renoise, it crashed during the detection of the new guitarix ladspa plugins (i’m not really sure of that, but I think so), but it has continued to boot…to be connected to alsa…
  • After this, it was impossible to connect Renoise to jack…(see the crash log)
  • Tested with Renoise 1.9.1 - 2.1 - 2.5beta6 —> no connection to jack…
  • I have disabled my ladspa directory to see…idem !!No connection to jack !
  • Tested on my old Ubuntu7.10, with Guitarix ladspa plugins…it works good, and Renoise can connect with jack!!
  • I have rebooted the computer, smoked 3 or 4 cigaretts, drink 3 glasses of wine…AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!
  • The guitarix ladspa plugins are working good in Renoise, Ardour, etc…
  • One more time : Renoise was working great with jack until I compile and install Guitarix…SO STRANGE !!!
  • Maybe I should delete some tmp files, but where??

I don’t know if it is Renoise or my config here.

I will continue my tests here…

Glad you came back from your web attack… :w00t:

:panic:

Has guitarix probably also recompiled jack? You could try removing, deinstalling all jack libs then try reinstalling them again?

But I’m not sure if we’ll be able to help you out here. Probably you could ask the jack devs to take a look at this? They may have an idea whats going on here when seeing the log.

if you are using jackdmp ( http://www.grame.fr/~letz/jackdmp.html ) then it is a bit different from jack1 itself, so renoise could go crazy as jack2 isn’t supported at the moment (might work but the results are unpredictable).

try to install jack1 (jack 0.118.0 and not jack 1.9.4) - http://jackaudio.org/download

Ok I resolved the problem !!!

:drummer:

As I had 2 jackdmp installed (one in /usr (1.9.3), and the other in /usr/local (1.9.4)),
Guitarix made the confusion when I have installed it (or maybe a ldconfig process…)

So I have removed jackdmp 1.9.4 from the --prefix=/usr/local (deleted all the files), then Renoise came up again inside Jackdum 1.9.3.

I saw that qjackctl started jackd 1.9.3, but with the /usr/local/libs from jackdump 1.9.4… :panic:

But the most incredible is that all the applications using jackd were working good in this exotic config…except Renoise…

So, thanxs for Tacktic to have implemented a bad install jackdmp detection process inside Renoise ! ;)

The story is that Renoise works fine with jackdmp…

Thanxs again!!

:drummer: