[Solved] No Audio Output In Linux

So far having this problem in both Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit and Debian squeeze 64-bit, both with ia32-libs installed. Other ALSA apps work fine, Renoise loads and sees the device, it “looks” like it’s playing, everything seems to be going peachy but there’s just no output whatsoever, just dead silence. I’m running it as single user, alsa mode, not realtime or anything like that, although I was messing around with that stuff in Ubuntu with no effect, I’m trying to keep this debian install as simple as possible until I get it outputting some sound at least… then I’ll try to get the realtime/jack stuff going. Here’s the startup log from running renoise, doesn’t seem to be anything out of the ordinary to me. Any ideas? Anyone had this problem?

Renoise LOG> ============================================================  
Renoise LOG> Version : Renoise V2.1.0 (May 26 2009)  
Renoise LOG> Date : 2010-05-03  
Renoise LOG> Time : 09:06:03  
Renoise LOG> OS : Linux version 2.6.32-3-amd64 (Debian 2.6.32-9) (maks@debian.org) (gcc version 4.3.4 (Debian 4.3.4-8) ) #1 SMP Wed Feb 24 18:07:42 UTC 2010  

Renoise LOG> ============================================================  
Renoise LOG> CPU: Found 1 enabled unit(s) with 8 core(s) / 16 logical processor(s) per unit. 2 cores are enabled in total.  
Renoise LOG> Application: Showing the splash window...  
Renoise LOG> StartupWindow: Initialiting the startup window...  
Renoise LOG> Graphport: Initialising XThreads...  
Renoise LOG> Graphport: Opening XDisplay ':0.0' (configured via 'DISPLAY' env)...  
Renoise LOG> Graphport: XDisplay was successfully opened  
Renoise LOG> Graphport: Initializing Freeimage...  
Renoise LOG> StartupWindow: Startup window successfully initialized...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Initializing the API...  
Renoise LOG> GraphPort: Loading cursor images (libXcursor is present)...  
Renoise LOG> System: Running from directory '/home/rob/rns_2_1_0_reg/'...  
Renoise LOG> GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine...  
Renoise LOG> Graphport: Initializing Keyboard mappings...  
Renoise LOG> Graphport: Initializing XAtoms...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Initializing Icon Bitmaps...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Enumerating Devices...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: PLAYBACK info: card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: CAPTURE info: card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269 Analog [ALC269 Analog]  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Starting the input thread...  
Renoise LOG> System: Failed to create a RT thread. Trying again as FIFO thread on process scope...  
Renoise LOG> System: Failed to create a FIFO thread. Trying again with the default scheduler mode...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Adding unlinked virtual MIDI in ports...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Adding unlinked virtual MIDI out ports...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Enumerating external input devices...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Adding Input device 'Midi Through Port-0'...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Enumerating external output devices...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Adding Output device 'Midi Through Port-0'...  
Renoise LOG> DspDevices: Registering native DSP effects...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Creating the main application...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Start running...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Loading the preferences...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Init...  
Renoise LOG> LADSPA: LADSPA_PATH environment variable not set. Using '/usr/lib/ladspa:/usr/local/lib/ladspa:~/.ladspa'...  
Renoise LOG> LADSPA: Skipping LADSPA path '/usr/lib/ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...  
Renoise LOG> LADSPA: Skipping LADSPA path '/usr/local/lib/ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...  
Renoise LOG> LADSPA: Skipping LADSPA path '/home/rob/.ladspa/' (Directory does not exist)...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Opening ALSA Playback Device 'hw:0,0 (ALC269 Analog)'...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Open ALSA Output Device OK  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Max channels is 4 for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using 4 channels (4 requested) for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using access format RW_INTERLEAVED (requested RW_INTERLEAVED) for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using sample format S16_LE for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using samplerate 44100 (requested 44100) for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using period time 512 (requested 512) for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using 3 num periods (requested 3) for Playback...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Using buffer size 1536 (requested 1536)...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Setup Buffers...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Configuring the Player...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Creating the poll thread...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Creating the ALSA thread in FIFO mode FAILED. Trying SCHED_OTHER...  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Successfully created an ALSA thread  
Renoise LOG> ALSA: Up and running...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Opening MIDI in device 'Renoise MIDI In Port A'...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Opening MIDI in device 'Renoise MIDI In Port B'...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Opening MIDI in device 'Renoise MIDI In Sync'...  
Renoise LOG> MIDI-IO: Opening MIDI out device 'Renoise MIDI Out Sync'...  
Renoise LOG> Application: Creating a new document...  
Renoise LOG> Player: Constructing...  
Renoise LOG> Player: Creating the slave threads...  
Renoise LOG> System: Failed to create a RT thread. Trying again as FIFO thread on process scope...  
Renoise LOG> System: Failed to create a FIFO thread. Trying again with the default scheduler mode...  
Renoise LOG> Player: Start running...  

According to your logs, you are using Renoise 2.1.0 Can you try again the latest version, e.g. 2.5? It will be easier to debug if you are using the latest version.

http://mirror.renoise.com/download/Renoise_2_5_1_Demo.tar.bz2

Also, it appears you are having issues with realtime threads (Failed to create a RT thread). Did you look at the Troubleshooting section in Linux FAQ? Or the Linux FAQ in general?

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Linux_FAQ

Also is “ALC269 Analog” what you want to use for playback? Please also make sure the ALSO volume mixer settings are OK. Try gnome-mixer or the simple top taskbar volume controls.

If you don’t need to record stuff, disable the capture device: CAPTURE info: card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC269 Analog. This eats your CP, is hard to sync, cause troubles on many systems.

As I stated in the original post, other Alsa applications playback fine, yes the mixer is set correctly etc, and I’m intentionally testing without real time enabled to limit potential conflicts. I had tried that in Ubuntu as well as routing through a Jack server with no effect. 2.5.1 also exhibits the exact same behavior.

1. Can you post a screenshot of your Audio preferences window?
  2. cat /etc/security/limits.conf
  3. Do you have /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf? If so, cat /etc/security/limits.d/audio.conf

I had the same problem with a 32-bit Ubuntu 10.04 and I found the solution for me.
The problem is that for whatever reason in the new Ubuntu the headphone jack is channel 3 and 4 of the audio device’s output. As I can see in your logfile you also have 4 channels on your device as it is recognized in Renoise.
Try the following: Got to the mixer in Renoise, look at the master track, at the bottom, where you can choose the the output and set it to " 3+4". That switched the sound from the built in laptop speakers to headphones in within Renoise for me.

We probably shouldn’t ask why this is like this in the new Ubuntu, since they just seem a bit incompetent when it comes to audio (Pulse Audio for instance is a disaster in Ubuntu).

Anyway, hope it helps,
fladd

Yep, exactly the problem. Switched output to channels 3 & 4 and it’s working fine now. Feel kind of silly for not figuring that out myself, but it is confusing unless you already know somehow that channel 3 & 4 are the headphone outputs. Defaults to 1 & 2 even in the new Debian, so I guess it’s an Alsa / Renoise thing. It knows enough to mute the speakers when something is plugged into the headphone jack, and apparently other apps automatically route to channels 3 & 4, but Renoise does not. Anyway much appreciate the help. Time to get some realtime Jack action rigged up now. :)

same problem here… unfortunately same solution does not work…
the soundcard only has 2 channels…

running ubuntu 10.04 32-bit.
Other apps are running fine, and also Renoise thinks everything is fine,
master meter is pretending to push out faaattt sound… but does not… :confused:

I’ll keep fiddeling around…

ok… so… got it running now with jack…

haven’t had the need to use jack in the past,
but now I set up the jack server and stuff
and finally I get some bleeps and boooom out of my renoise again… :)

Found this very useful,
I recently bought a new lappy (HP G62 105sa) - Which id re-installed linux several times to get the set-up just right.
(ubuntu 10.04 , and now Maverick Meerkat Beta)
Just couldnt understand why audio was working in renoise through headphones. Then it dawned on me - other applications
seem to work just fine. So I moved my searches to see if it was a renoise issue.

Low and Behold … this thread solved it for me.

The question is though whats the deal with regards to this ? I was trying the demo songs and each time , you have to go into
the mixer and change the master output to use 3+4 instead of 1+2. which is un-neccesary and a tad irritating.

Will this be fixed in the final release of the current beta?

Kind Regards

Nick …

Why do other apps work exactly? I am not aware of any fancy Automatic Alsa ReRouting Mechanisms that change their output when one is muted. Maybe pulseaudio does this?

I agree, it is very annoying to go to the mixer everytime to switch that! I hope this is something that can be fixed somehow.

fladd

I was also got this problem, that I had to change mixer output channel,
And i found out that if you change following line in the .renoise/Config.xml to true

true

You will get only one audio output, and when you plug your headphones you will get the audio routed to the headphones and you dont need to change audiochannel.

I’m using a Toshiba Latitude with Intel HDA audio and had the same issue on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit. I think it’s more a jack audio problem, I’ve had this with other Linux audio apps that use Jack rather than straight-up Alsa or Pulse audio drivers. Even in spite of that, this was the issue keeping my wallet closed since I would have no way to use this app otherwise.

Another solution I found was to get a USB audio dongle and switch to that – the only problem there was that the audio was VERY LOUD when I switched and I had to lower the master volume to almost nothing before I could put my headphones back on.

Now I can finally blow the dust off my years of using trackers (MultiTracker, ST3, FT2, IT, Buzz) and do something again. Thanks for posting this solution! This app rules!

-BLuRry