SOLVED: Renoise emulates Bitwig "Operators"

I have both Renoise and Bitwig. As you all know, Renoise is my favorite DAW, like evarrr. I know all about the Repeater tool, I use it all the time, and I know about the RXX (oops, not CXX) commands, they get the sounds to repeat pretty quickly, sounds much more rapid than the Repeater.

That being said, and without offering the same option of speeding up the tempo and increasing the LPB, is there any other function that I might be missing to get the samples I use to repeat as quickly as Bitwig’s Operators? Those have pretty much turned anything I throw at them into an almost melodic instrument, at the rate of repeats I can get within a time-frame. If we had something like this in Renoise that operates at a normal tempo, that’d be killer and I’d love to know about it.

1 Like

perhaps through using phrases, programming your own custom repeats on high lpb settings?

I suppose - I was just hoping there was some sort of key-command that I missed :smiley:

No key special commands afaik, but out of the box thinking you could also render a selection in the pattern to sample and set up loop markers in the sample editor, either loosely or through setting the ruler to beats and snapping to (8th - 128th) divisions. Put the looping samples in the pattern editor or phrases and you can add commands like DXX and/or UXX for slowing or speeding up the triggers, combine it with other stuff…re-sample those sections again, rinse and repeat :slight_smile: . Then again I’m not familiar with bitwig so don’t know how it sounds, do you have an example?

That’s not a bad idea, either - it’s just that I’d be doing this on single drum hits - the phrase method works, it’s just not as convenient as making it right in the pattern - instead I have to pre-make a bunch of different speeds in a bunch of different phrases. I’m posting a video here, and you’ll be able to see how quick ‘n easy the Operators in Bitwig are - I just tried this out today, and found it to be pretty simple and really quick. Then I wondered if we had this, and we ‘kind of’ do. It’ just not as fast. It’s something that I wonder from time to time. Here’s the video:

1 Like

I see, the piano roll kind of control of selecting notes and applying the randomness et cetera is indeed another kind of workflow. Not sure the current piano roll tools offer this sort of (randomness & retrigger) control, would be cool. In the past I’ve used plugins for this kind of stuff, resampling and processing the samples.

The polyend tracker has a bunch of different random & retrigger pattern commands, so the above is a matter of inserting a command in the pattern.

I have suggested more pattern commands in Renoise before, as indeed we can program similar stuff in the pattern editor or phrase editor on high lpb’s, but the quickness of a dedicated pattern command saves a lot of time.

1 Like

Yep, that’s pretty much it - ignore the piano-roll stuff. It’s just neat to see these operators pushing individual sounds to do a variety of repeats at super-high frequencies. More commands is all we really need for this type of action- to break beyond the speeds we have now. This capability is something truly wonderful.

I think I just figured out a way…

• I took a snare drum sample, then an AHDSR envelope. Set the sample to loop forward with a short envelope decay so it loops in silence. A decay length suitable for the percussive sound.
  • In the Sampler’s ‘Modulation’ portion, select pitch, and adjust the “Pitch Range” to 96.
  • Add an “Operand” to the Pitch
  • Drop down the “Macros”, by hitting the “Macros” Button
  • Assign a Macro knob to the Operand’s “Value” slider and assign a knob to the AHDSR envelope’s “Hold”
  • In the Edit Screen, add an “Instr. Macros” device
  • Use the FX column to trigger different values on the Instr. Macros device.

This will create a little ‘buzzing’ drum sound for the length of the sample, little drum buzzes that go incredibly fast, they also change speed/pitch, as the sample is being pitched upwards or downwards. Automating the Hold in the AHDSR keeps the sound buzzing for a particular length of time.

Bitwig Operator Rudimentary.xrns (84.0 KB)

This is not as easy as the Bitwig method, but it works pretty well for straight buzzing. I haven’t experimented beyond this. I do not know if there is a way to make it do the ‘bouncing ball’ effect that many are fond of, and I don’t know how precise it gets with the amount of repeats. I also did not find out if it can also be only buzzed faster with no pitch shifting. These are things that can be figured out in time, I suppose.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.