Some inconsistencies with numbers

thx

I can’t tell if you are against starting from 0 or starting from 1 or just the perceived inconsistency. For the record, the nice thing about starting from 0 isn’t exactly to have it 0-15 but to have it 0-F (keeping it one digit in hexadecimal).

• For modulation sets and fx chains, the 0 is the (implicit) index of the “None” option
  • For phrases 0 is also the “No phrase” which you’d use to mix playing regular notes with phrases when using the 0Z00 command in the pattern.
  • For track numbers it indeed seems inconsistent with the rest.
3 Likes

In Renoise, is there any type of element that starts at zero with decimal notation?

I mention this because zero is usually related to exadedimal notation.

• It seems that the number of patterns/sequence is an exception, 0-999, to maintain a maximum of 3 digits.

• The clues start at one because it is a decimal, and there is no limit of tracks.

1 Like

I like the 0-F, personally i like starting from zero since it saves space,
the differences has been throwing me off a bit.
philosophically & aesthetically, i would like them all uniform as the difference seems odd.

i just realized however though, that changing this could cripple a bunch of tools, i def dont want tools getting messed up.

Tools have the added benefit of lua starting indices from 1 instead of 0 (which is the standard for pretty much every other language). So you refer to the first line in a pattern as lines[1] and so on. :upside_down_face: