Some news about the upcoming Renoise release

I know it’s just speculation, but an educated guess would be that multi monitor support is actually coming in 3.0. It seems plausible, after all the years of demands for it. This could also be the reason for rewriting large parts of the codebase so that the GUI becomes more manageble.

Perhaps we are testing on 7" screens rather than testing on higher screen estates.
And no, ofcourse not mobile devices, but old CGA cashdesk monitors :P

I think they should drop the GUI in favour of an ncurses command line interface optimised for a 80 x 25 character terminal screen :P

I think you’re telling some portion of the truth here… It’s not going to be multi monitor support in the sense of being optimized for three screens, each with the resolution of 1920x1080. No, instead everything resides in detachable and separate semi-modular floating windows, so that you could open 12 different .xrns songs into 12 different pattern windows and route them all to a single mixer window… The purpose is not so much about the GUI itself, rather it’s about the modularity foundation so that new modules could extend Renoise in the 3.x cycle (including LuaJIT). At least this is what I hope for… ;)

^^^ I think you really wanted to post those movies in this thread:

https://forum.renoise.com/t/small-bug-found/38821

I hope the new renoise comes packed with an xrni for each General MIDI instrument. Not that I’m not happy with the xrnis it already comes with, but it would be nice if I open a midi song in renoise I can just hit play and enjoy. They don’t have to sound amazingly real imo, but I’m a slut for that classic midi sound I’ve grown up with.

Of all the things to hope for, this seems kind of strange to me… but that’s just my opinion. Maybe you could get a cheap copy of NI bandstand or something?

The real breakthrough would be if Renoise became the first video+audio mashing tool (applying tracker-style editing with horizontal patterns). But I wouldn’t bet on that being the choice the devs made.

That would be whole new program there… Videonoise? But i don´t see any benefits on that as a program beside an interesting gui :).

Actually that would be pretty cool.

I can see that opinion, but I wouldn’t want to use anything else as renoise can load midi files, it has a native instrument format, it just seems so close to put these together. I understand the renoise team may not have time to sound design all the general midi instruments so it’s probably a tall order. I suppose I should get off my fat ass and start a thread where anyone interested can submit general midi instrument xrnis. Then maybe somebody can write the lua code to make sure tool that will match the midi file data to the corresponding xrni.
I’d imagine people would have different preferences as to what general midi xrnis would sound like, but once there is a implementation or at least a lua tool, it should be easy to customize your gm soundbank.

This one gets me really exited. I can think of several nice features that has been up for discussion and been put off for later, because they would require a huge rewrite of the codebase. Remember the poll in the backstage area? Most of the stuff on that list is already implemented, but some pretty high up are not. ;)/>

Another Renoise user I know just went on his vacation. Today he said to me that since Renoise 3.0 wasn’t available for him to explore while at the beach, he had to comfort himself with his iPad and the recent good synths that have been released for iOS. Somehow he reminded me a bit of this guy:

But seriously, I’ve also played around with Propellerhead’s recent Thor for iPad release, and then exporting my patches straight into Reason… and for the first time ever I was actually thinking “how cool it would be if Renoise had some kind of basic iPad app baby”.

Well, whatever Renoise 3.0 is about, it’s worth waiting for.

So the tools site is down for a second, apparently, so of course I thought “this means the beta is here”, but… it’s not.

Had that with the main forum a few times. I do hope it comes soon though! (Gold before October would be ideal.) I’m off travelling around then and loading a brand new version onto my laptop before I don’t have internet constantly at my finger tips would be nice ;)

I hear you… BUT, isn’t it unlikely something will be released during the months of summer?

I might be risking my current license by leaking this info but it’s still going to be a while until it’s released. The devs are actually working on a whole new alpha as Ichiro Toda finally came on board to help out with the synth1/fm synthesis hybrid that will finally give us our fully automatable native synth.
This is a dream come true.

I am skeptical of the validity of this post.

A native synth would be awesome, but…

I don’t have any reason to believe this.

Robot’s can’t lie, which means he’s telling the double truth.