Some of us are old FT2-Users. And they had a GUS

I’ll just drop this here, for nostalgia.

5 Likes

I have just terrible experiences with that card :sweat_smile:
Well, the sound quality was great, but the drivers were not so…

There wasn’t almost anything other than Soundblaster and Gravis available. Other options were professional cards, which cost 10x more.
Though Gravis wasn’t cheap either.

Oh, and thanks for nostalgia trip :+1:

1 Like

I’m an old FT2 user, but I can’t remember the soundcard that I was using. I think it was made by Terratec, but it could also be a Soundblaster or that Gravis one. I never cared about the soundcard as long as there was full sound. :wink:

Btw, speaking of nostalgia, here’s a video about trackers that also includes Renoise (which is an exception), maybe just because @Achenar 's lost brother made it:

5 Likes

OMG I wish there were these copper bars in Renoise. But that requires an overhaul of graphics api, I guess. It might be silly, but those bars have a magic effect to me. Maybe it could be officially rated as antidepressant.

Sidenote: I think it’s actually a two bitmaps dual layer, and then added copper lines to it. Else I couldn’t explain the 45 degree lines … Awesome work.

EDIT: Yes, t’s 2 different layers, you can actually see that there are 3(4) different layers, middle, left, right (and transparent) - each different copper bars. 2bits^2layers = 4 possible combinations (middle / left / right / none).

I thought those things were cool but for snobs, and was glad when I didn’t have to use the pc speaker any longer but had access to a sound blaster pro. Obnoxious things, in stereo mode you had to reduce quality form 44100 to 22050, so using stereo was actually a choice that came with a price. Later I think I had a sound blaster 16 or so, then I finally could go stereo with my ft2…I hooked the output of the sound card into a cheap home entertainment stereo, or into a guitar amplifier (that bass…), and went ready to go…!

1 Like

I got my first PC just after the heroic dark ages of PC computing ended. Onboard sound card, Win 98, Voodoo video card. Everything just worked.

Terratec did really change the game.
The sound quality was on a whole different level. Terratec did even have an “external” I/O box for audio and midi connections. Actually, it was placed in the front panel of pc, there where the CD-ROM drive was.

Oh, this is so good! I’ve seen that before, but have to watch it again. :+1:

Great little history doc. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

:hugs:

4 Likes

I had a Soundblaster AWE-32, that thing was huge.

1 Like