Song Mode - Like in MPC

Hey so I’ve been spending time lately doing track in both Renoise and my MPC 1000 - I got a great idea.

For renoise it would be REALLY nice to have a song mode, where you can arrange your patterns just like the song mode on an MPC.

I find it cumbersome and difficult often to arrange my song in the pattern matrix - lots of copy pasting and when your song begins to have a more complex arrangement it becomes tangled quite easily.

You can achieve a song mode like workflow by keeping the pattern matrix closed and using the key shortcut for switching patterns, cloning, and creating a new pattern. Indirect, but closer to the MP sequencer.

Yep it’s exactly like MPC song mode… just faster :slight_smile:

I’m not really following what your saying. I’m saying like a separate tab where I could be like Main Movement x2 , Choir x2.

If I use keyboard shortcuts to trigger the patterns wouldn’t that be more ideal for some sort of live performance, I’m looking for a way to arrange things to be exported.

If you want a section to be repeated, right-click the section square and choose duplicate. If you would like to place a copy of the section somewhere else in the song, left-click the section square to select the range of patterns then ctrl-drag them.

does this still work? You meed a korg padkontrol to try though;

Posted27 July 2012 - 15:07

tool-large.png

Overview

pKing is a MPC/groovebox style interface to Renoise for the Korg padKontrol.

Now, I am aware that (unfortunately) the padKontrol is discontinued, but since this tool was originally written for personal use, and it is the controller I own, it’s padKontrol specific. Sorry about that. Note that because it is discontinued, they are fairly inexpensive second hand wink.gif

The version 2 rewrite has enabled a much more consistent interface and the addition of many more features.

With pKing you can perform many actions directly from the padKontrol hardware, including:

• Selecting / inserting / cloning / deleting and clearing of tracks / note columns / patterns / instruments / samples
  • Note editing of note and volume / panning / delay columns
  • Inserting / deleting rows
  • Assigning and modifying sample maps
  • Modifying sample parameters (e.g. volume, panning, nna, transpose, fine tune)
  • Tap tempo functionality
  • Basic mixer functionality
  • Pattern track matrix slot mutes
  • Automatic mapping of pads to sample slices
  • Sample slicing
  • Sample autochop

http://www.renoise.com/tools/pking

https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-2-8-pking/36814

I’m not talking about using key shortcuts for triggering patterns, but using them to sequence patterns. You can not only flip between sections in the matrix editor by keeping it closed, but you can actually change what pattern is placed into that slot. Basically, your vertical position in the pattern matrix contains a parameter for any pre-existing pattern. I’ll see if I can explain this better down the road.

I’m not talking about using key shortcuts for triggering patterns, but using them to sequence patterns. You can not only flip between sections in the matrix editor by keeping it closed, but you can actually change what pattern is placed into that slot. Basically, your vertical position in the pattern matrix contains a parameter for any pre-existing pattern. I’ll see if I can explain this better down the road.

In the pattern editor, a number of shortcuts allow for on-the-fly manipulation of the sequence (matrix being a more mouse-friendly affair).

For example,

CMD/CTRL+Arrow Left/Right will exchange the current pattern number in the current sequence position

CMD/CTRL+Delete will delete the pattern

Look inside Preferences > Keys > Pattern Editor > Pattern Sequence for the complete list.

Also, some (most?) of these should be MIDI assignable.

I’m not sure but I get the feeling you want the “mpc song mode” in which you hit a pad to line up the next pattern to be played, or you can hit pads to flip between patterns instantly. In that case, I’m pretty sure renoise can’t do that. Sorry If im wrong about this.

That could be quite a nice feature request though, assign sections of the matrix to midi keys / pads. Including a mode to line up the next pattern to be played and a mode to switch instantly on key /pad press…an option to trigger the chosen highlighted section of the matrix (which could be any number of patterns long) from the beginning, or if the sections were all only 1 pattern long, could also have the option to trigger from current cursor playback position…(like half way through a pattern when a pad is pressed it will skip to half way through the pattern that is assigned to that pad) hope it makes sense

Also, on the mpc1000, I think you could mute / unmute tracks with pad presses…

It had some good features for jumbling up a songs patterns to make a fresh song arrangment.

mpc1000 is so annoying to use with those clicky buttons that always break, the outdated compact flashcards, the expensive and unreliable ram upgrades…then again it did have some nice features including a good sounding grain pitch shift with “16 levels”…thats another thing renoise doesnt really have.