Sononym - Sample Browser

Shameless promotion: you can save considerably on Sononym until Dec 3:

6 Likes

Shame is overrated.

Now I just wish that Sononym could replace the sample browser in Renoise (or dock there)… :smiley:

1 Like

Hi, I still am a bit clueless about JS app development. But I now build a little app, and I am pretty sure that the Chromium engine under macos now supports GPU hardware acceleration. A year ago those apps did not look like hardware accelerated at all. So my theory is that microsoft actually added GPU mac acceleration to the Chromium source. Same for VSCode. Half a year ago it looked sluggish and now with the same system, the recent version’s GUI is very fast and snappy.

got my license yesterday enjoying it a lot :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

I recommend using the sononymph tool (New Tool (3.1) Sononym Integration (PREVIEW)) in Renoise in combination with sononym, excellent when digging, looking for samples in the same key/mood/*insert characteristic of used samples.

5 Likes

@danoise: I made a bug report on the trello site a while ago because Sononym is crashing in Debian Stretch / Buster. Could you reproduce this behaviour? It seems that the crash is triggered when playing samples, it never crashes when the program is just open. Only when I hit samples.

No luck reproducing so far. But (shot in the dark) I’ve had a couple of reports that installing the jack2 bundle helps on some linux distros.
That seems related to the launch stage though (where portaudio is being initialized), so not sure if this solution applies to you.

Thanks. I tried without Jack, but it also crashed. When I hit samples very fast one after another it’s more likely to crash with these lines

Sononym AudioServer LOG> AudioPlayer: Starting playback (offset: 0)...
Sononym AudioServer LOG> AudioDecoder: Decoding audio file '/home/marco/Samples_Stuff/DrumMachines/kb6.de.BONUS2016/[KB6]_Roland_XV5080/Roland XV-5080 (Jenny)/XVPerc54.wav'...
Sononym AudioServer LOG> AudioDecoder: Reading sample data...
Sononym AudioServer LOG> AudioDecoder: Normalizing...
Sononym AudioServer LOG> AudioDecoder: Audiofile decoding finished
Sononym AudioServer LOG> AudioPlayer: Starting playback (offset: 0)...
warn: [RENDERER] Canceled an internal drag operation by force

I also use Jackd2, so that does not seem to be the reason. Is there anyone with similar issues? It was working in Debian Stretch in the past.

anyone here knows the development status of sononym and its integration with renoise?

If you’re not already aware of this, there’s a powerful integration available, as mentioned above by Jonas.
It’ a testament to the flexibility of Renoise scripting that this is even possible in the first place!

WIth a bit of effort I can clean up the tool and release it properly.
Probably should have that a while ago, but the last year has been pretty short on time for side projects.

As for Sononym itself, there’s a new version arriving shortly (maintenance mostly) and more stuff in the pipeline :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hey guys, how are you!?

Just a quick heads-up to let you know that a new version of Sononym (1.2) is out.

It’s not the most exciting release, but it’s an important one. We spent most of the time in the guts of the software, hunting down issues that have been plaguing some users since the very beginning.

What’s new:

• Modernized Internals: The internals of the software have been updated, with considerable stability improvements as a result.
  • Improved Text Search: Sononym now ships with a database of related words and terms - also known as a Thesaurus.
  • Additional Filename Columns: Sononym now offers three “file” columns: one for the Filename, one for the Folder and one which contains both.
  • Optional Auto-Export: It’s now possible to configure settings for Collections, including whether to automatically export files.
  • Faster Audio Previews: When stepping through search results, there should no longer be any “missed sounds” while using the keyboard.
  • Smooth Scrolling Mode: The application now offers a new scrolling method that should be especially interesting for touch/trackpad users.
  • Many other smaller tweaks and bugfixes…

The full release notes and downloads are available on the Sononym website:

PS: And with this release out of the door, I’m also looking forward to finishing the Sononymph tool :fishing_pole_and_fish:

12 Likes

Little feature wish for the tool. The ability to restore the original sample back, when i cant find a good one. I was browsing some Snare samples with auto load to Renoise, but at the end the original snare sample was the best choice. I need to use several undo’s to get it back.

2 Likes

Been demoing it for the past 2 weeks and just snagged it. No brainer in conjunction with sononymph. Time to really commit now that I’m not on the demo :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Thanks for this update. Makes sononym even better on Mac. The smooth scrolling is very useful. I only wonder if it was possible to blend in the table rows more early? Maybe there need to be some pre drawn rows in the not yet visible areas?

1 Like

Theoretically, I could throw in a “revert” feature but I THINK* it would require me to put the sample into a temporary buffer. Scripting doesn’t have direct access to individual sample undo/redo (prove me wrong?).
And while the renoise API “sample” contains an internal path, it’s very likely broken - as in: referring to where the sample was originally loaded from, which won’t work on a different computer or when you move your stuff around. So I can’t just “load” the sample from somewhere either - hence, the need to cache it in memory.

So it might not be so simple to implement after all.

2 Likes

Sounds like your computer is pretty fast, as you’re able to scroll beyond the “overscan” rate (amount of pre-drawn rows). I’ve personally been testing with touchpad + a magic mouse and never reached that speed.

But indeed, overscan could be made adjustable - or better still: the optimal value could be computed in realtime.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can’t initialize the audio system. The AudioServer log reads:

AudioPlayer: Stream failed to open with error: Invalid number of channels
AudioPlayer: Retrying without input channels...
AudioPlayer: PortAudio Exception: Internal PortAudio error

I’m running macOS Big Sur, so maybe there’s a compatibility issue.

1 Like

Coincidentally i made a similar sample browser a while back which was able to find similar / complementary sounds based on their spectral content :blush:

But since Sononym is far better - i just bought it!
Good work mates !

3 Likes

Yeah “caching” the sample would be at least a solution for this :slight_smile: Or the api needs more functions to control the undo history. So searching and playback samples would be just one undo step.