New Tool (3.1) Sononym Integration (PREVIEW)

I’ve been working on an experimental tool that integrates Sononym a bit more closely with Renoise.

I still consider it a preview - the auto-detection of paths will NOT work on Linux, you will have to provide this manually.

Also, browsing for paths on Mac will not be easy due to limitations of the Finder (but here, auto-detect of paths should work)

Shouts to Ledger and djeroek for giving me some early feedback B)

Video demonstration (unlisted):

Documentation:

https://github.com/renoise/xrnx/tree/master/Tools/com.renoise.Sononymph.xrnx

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oe5pffpx9tv8dtk/com.renoise.Sononymph.v0.1b2.API5.xrnx?dl=0

First suggestion by djeroek: right-click in instrument list to search by similarity. Great idea!

14 Likes

Well worth a download for you Sononym owners! B)

1 Like

I sure am going to start reeling some “nymphs” with this tool :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

this is awesome. thanks man.

i’m drooling

edit:

this is fantastic, works perfectly here (linux)

but there are some really nasty (audio) glitches when replacing a sample containing slices (and playing those slices)… not too difficult to reproduce though, I don’t think you’ll need my step-by-step (do you?)

also this is a fantastic not-so-temporary replacement for the elusive drag & drop feature missing or not working in my setup

THANKS

This is totally cool Danoise. Well done! How do you communicate with Sononym? I know I can look at the rnx source but was curious. Thank you for making this!

I’d like to figure out how to pick samples using a web browser if possible :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic work - just spent about an hour playing with it. So inspiring. Danoise you’ve done a great thing!

1 Like

So sweet!

Thanks all for the positive response!!

I’ve been busy for a couple of days so didn’t check in to view/comment.

this is a fantastic not-so-temporary replacement for the elusive drag & drop feature missing or not working in my setup

Ha! I didn’t even think about this, but indeed - good of you to point this out!

Not sure about those audio glitches, how do you even replace a slice in the first place (they are rendered?)

How do you communicate with Sononym? I know I can look at the rnx source but was curious.

The toolis using the fact that the current search query in Sononym is available as JSON.

So it’s simply monitoring this file for changes and updating the path accordingly (I wrote a simple file monitoring class specifically for this purpose)

Also, while Sononym doesn’t come with an API (yet?) it’s capable of receiving an audio file or folder as argument.

This will launch a similarity search, or enter file-exploring mode respectively.

1 Like

Not sure about those audio glitches, how do you even replace a slice in the first place (they are rendered?)

I’m replacing the sliced sample, not the slices. Look, I shoot a little video:

heh

Sononym is an absolute must purchase with this tool, thank you so much for making it :slight_smile:

Quick question - is it possible to make a shortcut to open/close the sononymph window?

1 Like

Quick question - is it possible to make a shortcut to open/close the sononymph window?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Let me see if I can make the tool fully keyboard driven.

2 Likes

Yes, that makes perfect sense. Let me see if I can make the tool fully keyboard driven.

Also, one addition to Sononym that would completely put it over the top is built-in timestretching. Perhaps if you licenced from Zplane. I know this would add an extra cost, but you can also sell an exclusive version or as an add-on :slight_smile:

Also, one addition to Sononym that would completely put it over the top is built-in timestretching. Perhaps if you licenced from Zplane. I know this would add an extra cost, but you can also sell an exclusive version or as an add-on :slight_smile:

Nah, it’s expensive enough as-is. But indeed, powerful transfer/transcoding options is a perfect fit :slight_smile:

Nah, it’s expensive enough as-is. But indeed, powerful transfer/transcoding options is a perfect fit :slight_smile:

Nah its not expensive…it already has been warezed. .)

Where is the config path in linux? As far as I can see everything for sononym is stored in ~/.config/Sononym but I choose that option I get a message saying the path is not valid when trying to transfer to renoise.

I try to get this running in Linux / Debian, but I fail :confused: .

In path to exe I have “/home/marco/sononym-1.0.4/./sononym”, which works. I can search for files in Sononym out of Renoise, but there seems to be a problem with the config, which is “/home/marco/.config/Sononym/” in my case.

For the config I tried “/home/marco/.config/Sononym/query.json” and “/home/marco/.config/Sononym/”, but both don’t seem to work.

Thanks! I wait till Danoise is around. I tought I have a rather small sample library (ca. 5 GB), but still find Sononym quite useful. It’s possible to find samples I wouldn’t be aware of otherwise. CPU usage increase a lot sometimes when searching, but I guess that’s normal, taken imto account what the program manages.

1 Like

Wait a minute here. I’ve just tried it again, deleted this tool, deleted Sononym config directory, no modifications to the tool code, run Sononym (create library, use it), run tool. I specify /home/me/Applications/Sononym/sononym as the path to exe and /home/me/.config/Sononym/query.json as the path to config. It works here (albeit without the current selection file monitoring syncing between the two…but that’s something else… Oh wait, it’s suddenly decided to work doing that as well :confused: ) Hmm, could someone just try it again under Linux?

The other thing to note Meef is don’t use ~ as a shortcut to your home directory.

Yeah I have the full path in the preferences, it’s just quicker to write that here.

I will give this a try when I get home tonight, I didn’t realise you have to point it to a specific file rather than a directory.