Sononym - Sample Browser

Been demoing it for the past 2 weeks and just snagged it. No brainer in conjunction with sononymph. Time to really commit now that I’m not on the demo :slight_smile:.

3 Likes

Thanks for this update. Makes sononym even better on Mac. The smooth scrolling is very useful. I only wonder if it was possible to blend in the table rows more early? Maybe there need to be some pre drawn rows in the not yet visible areas?

1 Like

Theoretically, I could throw in a “revert” feature but I THINK* it would require me to put the sample into a temporary buffer. Scripting doesn’t have direct access to individual sample undo/redo (prove me wrong?).
And while the renoise API “sample” contains an internal path, it’s very likely broken - as in: referring to where the sample was originally loaded from, which won’t work on a different computer or when you move your stuff around. So I can’t just “load” the sample from somewhere either - hence, the need to cache it in memory.

So it might not be so simple to implement after all.

2 Likes

Sounds like your computer is pretty fast, as you’re able to scroll beyond the “overscan” rate (amount of pre-drawn rows). I’ve personally been testing with touchpad + a magic mouse and never reached that speed.

But indeed, overscan could be made adjustable - or better still: the optimal value could be computed in realtime.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I can’t initialize the audio system. The AudioServer log reads:

AudioPlayer: Stream failed to open with error: Invalid number of channels
AudioPlayer: Retrying without input channels...
AudioPlayer: PortAudio Exception: Internal PortAudio error

I’m running macOS Big Sur, so maybe there’s a compatibility issue.

1 Like

Coincidentally i made a similar sample browser a while back which was able to find similar / complementary sounds based on their spectral content :blush:

But since Sononym is far better - i just bought it!
Good work mates !

3 Likes

Yeah “caching” the sample would be at least a solution for this :slight_smile: Or the api needs more functions to control the undo history. So searching and playback samples would be just one undo step.

I can suggest rethinking workflow because you can benefit a lot n my opinion. (and relief developers so they can get their hands on more sophisticated improvements which do not have workaround)

if I’d want to replace snare for example I’d do the following:

1. duplicate snare instrument so I can always go back to original if I do not like the new one
    or
  2. save project in the original state, and save as new version (v2) so you can always experiment but also revert if needed.

… this is only my opinion after all :slight_smile:

Any chance for a holiday sale? Missed BF sale and it’s just painful :smile:
Anyway, Sononym is awesome.

2 Likes

Hi Preston, I answered you a few days ago via mail.

Just wanted to let you (and others potentially affected by issue) know that another user had a similar issue and solved it by removing a certain file from his plugins folder.

I’m investigating, and will report back soon!

2 Likes

Is the current version of Sonomyph working OK? I’ve just tried installing it with 3.2.2 and it doesn’t seem to trigger the similarity search for me.

The paths etc. look fine but I only bought Sononym the other day in the sale so it could well be me missing something!

It should, what is your platform/OS?

I’m on Windows 10.

I just accidentally used the tool without starting Sononym first and it actually did trigger the similarity search that way but it crashed Renoise as the warning suggested it might. If I try to search with Sononym open the cmd window pops up blank and nothing happens in Sononym.

My issue with sample preview playback has been resolved. Unfortunately, I can’t pinpoint whether it was my recent upgrade to macOS 11.1 or if it was the removal of older versions of WaveShell in my plug-in folders. I suspect the latter, but I can’t be certain. Hopefully, that information will help anyone else having the same issue.

1 Like

Are there any problems with keeping sononym libraries in Dropbox? I don’t know enough about the DB format to know if there will be problems with two computers accessing it at the same time, partial updates of the file, etc.

edit: my solution is to keep a folder “Sononym libraries” on the local disk, and symlink the dropbox files / folders that I want included in that particular library.

There was an update to 1.3.0. The auto updater did not show me the update, so I redownloaded it. Nice improvements!

using last version linux version.
my sample collection is on external NTFS disk.
Cant browse or add directory into library.
On internal ext4 hd is all ok.

Yeah the optimizations are very nice! Runs so much smoother. :blush:

Created database from win10 disk then reboot to linux.
Now database working from external NTFS. Strange :frowning:

That’s indeed strange. Perhaps a permission issue? I had this problem with an shared NTFS partition once…but in any case, happy that you got it working :smiley: