Sound Particles anyone tried this?

http://www.sound-particles.com/index.html

ugh, it’s amazing. treat sound the same way 3d artists treat particle systems. i’m sure you can do this in cdp, but sweet jesus it’s fun. check the demo :slight_smile:

Not sure what it actually does but audio demos sound good… :slight_smile:

Sounds like a sampler with granular effects and a fun visual gimmick. Not something i would spend 300$ for, that’s for shure, but could be fun to try the free version perhaps.

In comparison, The Mangle http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/seems a lot more useful and that’s one 10th of the price.

Sounds like a sampler with granular effects and a fun visual gimmick. Not something i would spend 300$ for, that’s for shure, but could be fun to try the free version perhaps.

In comparison, The Mangle http://sound-guru.com/software/mangle/seems a lot more useful and that’s one 10th of the price.

Saw that one a while ago and it’s simple & elegant design got stuck in my head. Gonna give the demo a try tomorrow. Looks very useful for granular stuff indeed!

Saw that one a while ago and it’s simple & elegant design got stuck in my head. Gonna give the demo a try tomorrow. Looks very useful for granular stuff indeed!

I haven’t used it myself honestly, it just came to mind as a comparative. I’ve heard what it can do and it seems very intuitive, easy to use and it’s a VST, while the Sound P. app doesn’t seem to work as a plugin and looks much more experimental in a way that you really have no idea what you’re doing.

I guess they work quite differently though, because they seems to use different types of granular effects. One based on small portions of a sample while the other more like a s00-sff type granularity if i’m not mistaking. I think there are some free software that does more similar granular effects, but can’t remember the name.

As for granular synthesis i usually just use a phrase with the s00-sff and play with the phrase LPB and simply records it with my handheld recorder. Not the most convenient way, but it’s fun and works pretty good. :slight_smile:

Edit: hmm found something that looks interestinghttp://www.partikkelaudio.com/downloads/hadron-particle-synthesizer

I think it’s not just some gimmic with fancy gui, but it seems like some professional sound design tool geared towards surround sound ambience in sync with camera movements/visuals, i.e. for a typical cgi/movie context. Fun stuff for music productions probably too, i.e. for advanced surround panned foley textures - but you could fake those with cheaper, easier means, as music usually has no direct visual counterpart.

I think it’s not just some gimmic with fancy gui, but it seems like some professional sound design tool geared towards surround sound ambience in sync with camera movements/visuals, i.e. for a typical cgi/movie context. Fun stuff for music productions probably too, i.e. for advanced surround panned foley textures - but you could fake those with cheaper, easier means, as music usually has no direct visual counterpart.

Ah, i didn’t realize it was supposed to use for video production. Seems good for making sound effects in surround.

Or…listen to music by David Tipper, to see what it also could be useful for. With headphones!

the mangle looks incredible, and for some reason i’d never heard of it before this. sound particles, messed with the demo, and what makes it particularly cool is, yes sound design. I can emulate a lot of the effects in CDP currently—and given the time I could emulate this completely. One could create a max patch that does this as well.

(actually i think someone has)

granular synthesis is one aspect of what it does, but you can also define each sound as an individual particle. The controlled randomization of pitch, gain, panning, delay, as well as the inclusion of (basic) granular synthesis really reminds me of FMOD studio.

it’s like FMOD studio with a render option… but that’s what soundflower is for :slight_smile:

I’ve had some pretty great results with the demo, messing with impacts. really organic sounds, and it’s a bitch to set up so it’s not just a pretty face on a mediocre project.

sure as hell wouldn’t spend $300 on it tho.

Dat mangle doe…

Hi, I’m Nuno Fonseca, the creator of Sound Particles…

Sound Particles is a new type of audio software. Imagine Maya or Blender, but for sound… You have a 3D empty space, where you place sounds and then you have virtual microphones (instead of virtual cameras), which capture the overall sound. For instance, you may pick up a car engine sound from your sound library and say that you want to place it 300 meters to your left, moving with a speed of 100 miles/hour, and place a XY stereo mic positioned 10 meters from the path of that sound.

One interesting feature of Sound Particles, is that it can uses particle systems, a technique widely used on computer graphics/VFX to recreate fire, rain, dust, etc., but for sound.

For instance, imagine that you want to create the sound of a battlefield - you can create 10.000 particles (sound sources), spread over a square mile, go your sound lib and pick up 150 war-related sounds (each particle will randomly select one of the sounds) and render everything in 5.1, Ambisonics (up to 6th order), Dolby Atmos 9.1 bed, etc.

Or imagine that you want to create a sound similar to the “THX Deep Note”, in full surround, with sounds with random pitch-shifters that converge to special values.

Granular synthesis is a feature that you may want enable or not - each particle, by default, reproduced the entire audio file, but if you want, you can use a granular modifier and make each particle reproducing only a small grain of the original audio file - for instance, to create an immersive 3D fire, captured in NHK 22.2.

Currently, the software is targeted essentially to sound design and is being used in all major studios (Skywalker, Universal, Warner Bros, Technicolor/Paramount, Fox, Sony, Pinewood, Park Road)…

Thanks for chiming in Nuno! It’s amazing software, and as someone who focuses on freelance sound design I find it really helpful (i’m just running the demo and it’s incredible).

Your deep note example is a great analogy. Before sound particles, I’d have thought to make a max patch to achieve the same effect, but I know the results would be quirky, as I’m an artist not a programmer!

…if you’d like to send out any free copies for… review, I’m happy to …volunteer :smiley:

If this was made for Windows I’d be using it for work. Unfortunately most of game audio development is done with PC’s and not Macs, so …

If this was made for Windows I’d be using it for work. Unfortunately most of game audio development is done with PC’s and not Macs, so …

My idea is to have a Windows version on the second half of 2016 (the software was originally created for Hollywood professionals, which are essentially Mac users).

Thanks for the link.