Soundtoys Effectrack VST2 fails & VST3 GUI isn't stretching

I’ve started using the VST3 version of course but have hundreds of XRNS files using the VST2 version, how would you practically go about migrating these files from VST2 to VST3 of the plugin, you can’t get the parameters unless you somehow decode the XRNS file!?

Effectrack has ~130 parameters and remember it’s unfortunately an Effectrack that has all their plugins in one.

Oh haha, why am i not surprised.

Oh F*** there are GUI issues with the VST3 version … of course there are, I can’t see or scroll down to the plugins below FilterFreak.

Ah ok, thats annoying, didn’t understand that soundtoys rack is a rack/container vst. Well, maybe you should not use container vsts… The design flaw is in Renoise, not in VST2 or macos this time. Renoise macos is using the executable name as plugin identifier, instead doing it right and reading out the Info.plist for the identifier instead. I think taktik didn’t fix it due backward compatibility.

As long as all available parameters are exposed to Renoise, and the parameter naming (vst2 vs. vst3) is identical, somone could program a converter tool. But you can also save the preset in the effectrack preset system and then load it into the vst3 version?

Yes, vst3 support in Renoise Windows does not seem to work very well, at least the guis.

You should be able to. Anyway I don’t think it’s a container plugin like what Waves does for example, it looks like it’s a single plugin that has all the software imported in it so should work like any other plugin.

The VST3 GUI implementation should be redone, it’s really really bad.

Anyway turning on sandboxing is just the way forward, why isn’t it on by default, any downside to this? does it cost performance?

It does cost a lot of performance in Renoise. It’s a waste of resources. If a plugin crashes constantly, do not use it, IMO. Personally I never use sandboxing, and Renoise still never ever crashes, since I am using stable plugins.

You still didn’t check what happens if you’re making a fresh reinstallation?

Thanks for the GREAT hint! I couldn’t resist this GREAT offer, and bought an average Mac and an average Mac screen for only 15697 $! What a bargain, so GREAT! Unfortunately now I cannot run a lot of plugins anymore and the Renoise forum always kicks me out because my brandnew Mac is too GREAT! I’m posting here right now by using my Windows XP 32bit computer, which is a shame. Hail to the Mac! :place_of_worship:

2 Likes

No but have looked into its folder structure already and there’s nothing to clean, in fact quite amazing how clean it is, so if there’s bloat left behind on their end it’s in the windows registry… but I’ll eventually try an uninstall and then install instead of just installing over like I did before… but I really don’t think it’s the plugin that suddenly out of the blue started behaving like this, it’s more like a possible windows update broke something.

Ahaha, I knew that Mac hint was a little nugget left for you :rofl:
The Mac Mini though is not expensive and it’s powerful, it will lure people into the Cult :wink:

edit: Okay I just tried my best with a clean install, even removed a few things in Regedit :grimacing: unfortunately it’s not working

Disable HiDPI autoscaling for that particular VST and see if it resolves the GUI issues.

Good idea, unfortunately no luck, it didn’t improve the VST3 GUI and I also tried it on the sandboxed VST2 version and then turned off sandbox but that still won’t initialize.

I hate to disappoint. :wink:

Hm, ok. So it’s the only VST2 plugin that’s affected and the issue occured suddenly overnight. It still doesn’t work after reinstallation, but it runs in a sandbox. Now it would be good to know IF there was an update or not, or if something else happened. I bet it’s something like that, but unfortunately I’m out at this point.

In the update history my last Windows update happened on June 14th, three days earlier so I guess that’s not it. Honestly this is really weird.

The VST2 version works in Renoise 3.3.2 and 3.4.0 so it’s just in Renoise 3.4.2 where it suddenly stopped working, go figure.

Ok, so there are only 3 options left, right? Either Renoise 3.4.2 is the problem or your VST sucks. Or the update or whatever somehow fucked your Renoise 3.4.2. So the next step would be to reinstall Renoise 3.4.2 and look what happens. And what about Renoise 3.4.1?

1 Like

I don’t get why you guys are constantly updating your Windows with the latest banana nsa updates, instead installing a proper (outgoing blocking) firewall and disabling most of the microsoft services… Kind of self torture, I guess. There is the update service, which you can disable AFAIK. Maybe you need to hack your version to switch to to pro edition.

1 Like

Every OS is a balance of trade offs isn’t it? None of them are inherently superior to any other, MacOS has a lot of issues and specificity tied to locked down hardware. Windows is less hardware specific, but takes the piss with privacy. Linux is private, hardware agnostic to a large extent but demands a level of competence that i simply dont have.

Life is all compromises, then we die anyway, so spend less time evangelising for a mega-corp who doesnt care if you live or starve to death - spend more time helping fellow Renoisers/humans in need.

5 Likes

Of course mac is superior to all the other systems, especially when you own the real Mac Pro. Just look at it. Also good for proper spaghetti Parmesan. I don’t think you can do this with your Ballmer PC, or can you??

Personally I just trust Apple, esp. Tim Cook, when Apple auto-syncs all my passwords to their cloud right at installation, also those by my older parents. Or auto-updates their fine and so useful system extensions. I was blown away by the recent features, esp. the new emojis. PC users can’t express themselves in so many ways like we can do. Communication is key in life, you know. Microsoft also does sync your stuff to the cloud, but look at these guys. I prefer to trust a thousand maybe totally unknown, yet well paid admins keeping an eye on my private data, instead not so good paid ones. They also should be the only ones which can admin my computer, not myself. I should be locked out from my own computer / device. This is the pure security. Like a baby in the arms of your mom.

I would recommend to try stand up comedy. :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s one of your big mistakes in life, but it’s not the only one.

Imagine everybody using Apple. You couldn’t even count to 10 before their system crashes. It’s just working because their users are a minority. And of course Apple wants to keep it like that, and that’s most likely the reason for their overpriced stuff.

Ah yeah, very important stuff. Emojis… :rofl:

No, it’s not. There is no fucking guaranteed security! If you’re looking for a save place for your data, just put it on a second computer that is NEVER EVER connected to the internet. Or print it on paper and put it in a hidden safe.

Well seriously spoken, Microsoft is even worse than Apple regarding data flow control and data privacy. At least you can disable auto-update in macos, not so in Windows. If you run a proper firewall and do not load external source in emails etc, there is no real vector for an attack over internet. I remember that you actually can disable the update service in services.msc, if you run a Windows Pro edition? Maybe this changed.

It is not very smart (the word is stupid) to transfer all your passwords and private data to a server in the internet which is not under your control, but instead under control of a greedy company like Apple or Microsoft, with a backdoor for shady, anti-democratic organisations like the nsa, extracting data from your data and linking it with the other data. In the end. If you really think about it. Since there are alternatives.

Right, but that’s not the point. The point is you just said that the savest place (“the pure security”) for your private data is Apple. And you trust Apple. Well, I don’t trust anybody. Especially not global companies like Apple or Microsoft. And of course I don’t transfer private data anywhere. I just do irrelevant stuff online. The important stuff like bank transfer only works with external gear anyway. And as I said, I don’t even have any private data on the computer that is connected to the internet. There’s mostly music related stuff. Anyway, all I’m saying is: Don’t trust anyone. :wink:

1 Like

That was of course meant to be ironical, or better say cynical. I do not trust apple a bit, but they make good cpus and macos (if you remove all the spyware).

Ah, ok. I didn’t get that. It seemed like you’re just another believing disciple like so many others, especially in terms of the security part, not to mention the design stuff. And in fact you’re a Mac user, so… :wink:

1 Like