Speakers setup help

Finally i got some good speakers the eris e3,5 from presonus.THe thing is i am not sure if i have set them up correctly.Check the pictures and tell me if i done it right.I used the balanced output is that right or should i use the unbalanced?Also i noticed that if i go to the sound setting in mx linux sometimes if i choose the analog output the music slows down.

Eris back panel

output

input

Hi stoiximan, using balanced vs unbalanced its a matter of audio connection on your audio interface; i mean if you have unbalanced output on your sound card, go for that; same story for the balanced one.

Just to be clear, the basic difference between balanced vs unbalanced its the number of wire:

• unbalanced (red + shield)
  • balanced (red + black + shield)

I share a pdf Audio cables with most common connection, better than thousand words :slight_smile:

About the output level, well, first of all its weird that you can use Digital Output on Analog Output (maybe some internal software…).
Output level that came from digital source (like CD) its 2 Volt, from analog source vary form type of source (200 mV for tape and turner), balanced output can go much higher and its a standard on professional studio.

So, if can go with balanced, go for it, otherwise unbalanced output have the same audio quality, just lower level :slight_smile:

I just checked your audio interface (Presonus Audiobox. right?), from the Presonus website, and analog output are balanced; good one!

4 Likes

What cable did you use to connect the speakers? You need TRS for that of course.
What do you mean “music slows down”?

1 Like

I have the AudioBox 96

https://www.presonus.com/products/audiobox-usb-96

Check the picture for the cables I used.I was listening to a radio station and when I opened the audio settings in mx linux the sound got pitched down.

1 Like

The cable is the right one. Pitched down means it stopped playing? Are you using Pulse Audio, Jack or Alsa?

No it didn’t stop playing ,you know it’s like you have a sample in Renoise sampler and the higher you play it the pitch changes in my case more bassy and slowed down weird I know. This is on alsa .So if I am using the right cable should I change the output to analog or leave it as is.?The analog output gives me lower volume

The digital output can’t work in your case. If it does it’s not the digital output.
Do you have PAVUCONTROL installed?

Try in a terminal “pavucontrol”

There you can set all settings and I assume you are using pulseaudio when listening to stuff from your browser.

The pitch effect could be, because the sampling rate changes from 48 to 44.1 kHz. But your interface should change the sampling normally .e.g when playing youtube videos with different sampling rates.

edit: I think the MX Audio control is nothing than pavucontrol

1 Like

The digital device is for when you’re using a digital connection either SPDIF RCA/AES XLR/Optical Toslink. If you’re using an Audiobox USB 96 like the driver states then it has no digital output and so you should use the analogue output/input.

The pitch down means your interface sample rate is set different to the audio file or DAW sample rate.

1 Like

Ok will check when I get home but the way I have the setup now I don’t have any real problems,playback and recording from the interface ok.I guess the AudioBox 96 isn’t officially supported in linux so problems will happen.

" guess the AudioBox 96 isn’t officially supported in linux so problems will happen."

Nope, if it is working it’s working and you are fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

How to find out what sample rate the AudioBox is on?Thanks for the info

On linux, I haven’t a clue.

On windows it’s in the device settings.

1 Like

On Linux you can check it with the alsa tools. I have to Google it, but if you have them installed there’s a terminal command.

1 Like

This command gave me the info

$ pactl list short sinks

0 alsa_output.pci-0000_01_00.1.hdmi-stereo-extra1 module-alsa-card.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz SUSPENDEDs16le
1 alsa_output.pci-0000_00_14.2.analog-stereo module-alsa-card.c s16le 2ch 44100Hz RUNNINGs16le