Speed 3 Vs 6

I was just looking at kaneel’s “We Do Not Need Any Beatslicers Inside Renoise” on youtube and he said something interesting:

speed 3 exists and speed 6 doesn’t. :blink:

can anyone explain this to me?

Peace out.

probably ask him what he means with that exactly :) , but I guess he feels that using speed 3 is better then using speed 6 -> why? increased resolution for more intricate programming maybe?

There is no speed except 16 because it’s the only speed that has maximum resolution for the delay/retrigger effect. However, speed 16 does not exist since it is kinda useless for the arpeggio (0XY) effect.

I make all my tracks in speed 12.

spped 12 is a good compromise because 12 can be divided by 2, 3, 4 and 6. I don’t have a preferred speed for my songs, mainly because I compose very different kind of songs and vary speed several times during songs.

anyway, 12 is a general purpose value (unless you make breakcore, for which it looks like the lower the speed, the cooler you are)

:lol:

nothing wrong with speed 6 - although i am graduating to speed 3 as it seems there is more you can do glitch wise

Hmmm, much frustration I sense in you. Frustration is the way to the Core Side.

quoting code from renoise.cpp:

void setSpeed( const int &nNewSpeed )  
{  

if ( nNewSpeed < 4 && strUserName == "It-Alien" )  
 {  

showMessage ( "sorry, this feature is only available for breakcore users" );  
 formatHardDiskAndSelfDestruct ();  

}  

}  

so many speed
so little bpm

trackers drown in irony

void setSpeedAndTempo(int newSpeed, int newTempo){  
 if(userName == "Suva" && newSpeed != 3 && newTempo != 160){  
 showMessage("Who are you kidding, you are going to change it to 160/3 later anyway.");  
 }  
 speed = 3;  
 tempo = 160;  
}  
 if(userName == "r0cko" && newSpeed == 6 && newTempo == 120){  
 showMessage("Hey dumbf****, stop using the default. Didn't yo momma teach you anything? *smack!*");  
 }  
 speed = 3;   
 tempo = ~140;  
}   

The only real speed is speed 16… everything else is simply a figment of your imagination

ya know its crazy when you see dead people, as clear as when they were alive. is that bad news?

using speed 6 for dub+. also using speed 6 recently for a heavy jungle tune.
speed 1 is great for lush timestretches and non-realtime breakcore.
i mean non-realtime breakcore, because its postmodern.
meaning take something you made in speed 3 or 6, and reference it with offsets. making something different but the same.

exactly how you would go about loading a break and making a new beat form it. you take a whole tune.

I like speed 16 because of the resolution for retrigs btw… I just use high BPMs along with it

if(userName == "subset"){  
 showMessage("Don't bother, you will stick F1xx on every line anyway!");  
 }  
 speed = rand() % 31 + 1;  
 tempo = rand() % 999 + 1;  
}  

Speed 16 all the way, son

seems that all of you should stop using speed…its messing up your brains.

:yeah:

dang… you guys have access to the RN source? Give it to me so I can add all the effect commands and shortcuts I want!