Speed In Relation To Real Bpm... Im A Bit Confused

I know that if I reduce the speed to 3 and keep the bpm at the original setting (140 for example) I will have to double the spead of my notes to keep the same effective BPM…

But what happens when I go below 3??

How do I calculate the spread…

I basically want to get the maximum amount of visual slots on screen to input notes into whilst maintaining the effective bpm (i dont like using Dx basically and would prefer to see it on screen as actual notes)

Any ideas?

speed 3:  
00 C-4 <== tick 00, 01, 02  
01 C-4 <== tick 03, 04, 05  

speed 2:  
00 C-4 <== tick 00, 01  
01 C-4 D1 <== tick 02, 03  
02 --- -- <== tick 04, 05  

speed 1:  
00 C-4 <== tick 00  
01 <== tick 01  
02 <== tick 02  
03 C-4 <== tick 03  
04 <== tick 04  
05 <== tick 05  

the idea is simple:
the speed indicates the number of ticks which each row is composed of.

if you want to keep things as they are when changing speed, you have to keep the same number of ticks-between-notes.

in the example above, at all the speeds the second note is always on tick 03

Thanks for the reply, that has cleared it up a bit, but I am still a bit in the dark…

Here is my problem in a bit more detail…

I want to make a 140bpm techno track. I want a kick drum on every beat.

With speed at 6 I would set out a normal pattern thus… (ASSUME THAT EVERYTHING IS ON ITS OWN TRACK)

00 c-4 Kick
02 c-4 Hat
04 c-4 Kick
06 c-4 Hat

and so on…

This only leaves me one empty space between the kick and the hat for inputting notes in real terms. I can mess about with the Dx delay to plant notes on certain ticks but for me this is a pain in the bum.

I basically want as many spaces between each note as possible.

If I set the speed to 3, and leave the bpm the same, I will need to expand the pattern out (I will have half the amount of notes)

It will now look like this…

00 c-4 Kick
04 c-4 Hat
08 c-4 Kick

and so on…

The pattern will scroll faster obviously (twice as fast) so I need to open the notes out. This is what I want, as it gives me VISUALLY more places to stick my samples down, and effectively a higher resolution work surface.

I want to know though…

6 / 2 = 3

fine.

3 /2 = 1.5

There is no 1.5 setting on speed, so how do I open the notes out even more (thus increasing my work surface resolution even more)?

I am not very good at maths so please excuse me if it is something blatant, but in my mind I cant think how to.

Ideally I would have the speed at 1 and the bpm at 140, but with the noted REALLY spread out, so I can have 1 tick per line and effectively do away with the need for the Dx (which is what I am trying to do!)

Thanks for any help in advance!

Right I think I have figured it out…

Sorry for being a dumb ass.

At speed 1 you need to put a Kick drum on every 24th line

So with the bpm at 140…

speed 06 would be like this…

00 c-4 kick
02 c-4 hat
04 c-4 kick

At speed 1 the exact same beat would need to be stretched out over a much wider area to compensate the extra speed of the scrolling so it would look like this…

00 C-4 Kick
12 c-4 Hat
24 C-4 Kick

OK…

So are these two different style, which SOUND to me to be the same BPM in fact the very same in real terms, or does something funny happen when you adjust the speed like this?

Cheers

C-4 F103 0101  

is equal to:  

C-4 F101 0101  

if you hate too void spaces, you can also use FDxx to retrig a row:

C-4 F101 0101  

is equal to  

C-4 F101 0101  
--- FD04 0101 <== plays this line 1+4 times  

other example:

C-4 0E303 FD05  

is equal to:  
C-4 0E303   
C-4 0E303   
C-4 0E303   
C-4 0E303   
C-4 0E303   
C-4 0E303   

check out “the path” demosong for some ridicously intensive usage of this :)

Thanks guys!

I will have a look at the Fdxx feature when I have read all the stuff bantai has forwarded…

Just one more thing before I dive into all that…

I have managed to get some more satifsactory results using speed 1 / 140bpm using my idea of spreading out the notes. Renoise feels very sexy and loose like this… However, the delay plug ins (renoise native and also Kjaerhus Classic Delay) seem to be behaving oddly.

It seems that they delays work per line and not per tick (I could be much mistaken!)… With the pattern scrolling like mad, the standard settings on the renoise native delay have to be dragged right out in order to make anything decent.

Is this intentional or a bug (or just a sideeffect of trying to get around the Dx command like I am doing…

:)

Thanks guys.

most of tick based commands (such as Dx) are uneffective at speed 1: you can only set a delay up to speed-1 so, if you set the speed to 1, you will not be able to set any tick delay: just move the note some rows below

Oh yeah, I know that you cant use Dx at speed 1…

I meant the VST delay plugsins were behaving strangely…

Are the two linked?

great topic :blink:

Thanks again for the reply.

I am learning more and more as the day goes on.

So, basically there is one part of Renoise that doesn’t work with another part, even though is it a part that is a Native plugin.

I understand why it doesn’t work, but I wish it would…

Zomg! I hear that boy drinks water! I might have to drink some water too! :P (just kidding)

The more years I use trackers the more I’m using lower bpms and less resolution. Why? 1. It makes the groove settings easier to use. 2. Usage of the pattern codes can achieve any desired subrhythm once learned. This is more efficient workflow compared to large spacious patterns.

must admit speed 1 does have the best res for doing timestretches. i havent been able to get that sleek sound of a speed 1 stretch using speed 3 yet. i mean i havent found a mixture of commands that can achieve speed 1’s grace while using speed 3. (especially when using multiple curves)

i like to run 2 concurrent versions of renoise midi-synced with a half-tick offset running at speed 1 and tempo 500 so that i can program every hit of a nanosecond-scale snare rush.

i’ve also read somewhere that artists interested in painting portraits on the heads of pins would be best advised to use a single llama hair for a brush as they are very fine. :P

Its less a case of wanting to do cheesy 2002 warp wannabe zipping glitch rushes, and more a case of being able to place a single drum hit EXACTLY where I want to without confusing things with esoteric letters and numbers on an already cluttered screen.

For me, at least.