Spotify ethics

What do you people think of spotify (and other ‘pay per stream play’ type services) in terms of fairness towards the artist. I’m not sure what to make of it. I’m considering subscribing but it would be hard for me to do if I felt that I’d be screwing the artists that are listed there…

Read this a while back, agree wholeheartedly:

http://www.littlewhiteearbuds.com/feature/everything-popular-is-wrong-making-it-in-electronic-music-despite-democratization/

“The only profiteers here are the stock holders of the Nasdaq 100. If you want to make a living on music, buy the relevant stock and live off the dividends. That’s where all the money goes that used to pay musicians and music professionals some time ago.”

Many major labels have shares in Spotify, I wouldn’t be surprised if they have cut a deal with Spotify that allows them to get a larger profit share on their own music featured on Spotify.

The artists should hope for a similar serivce that is made by maybe the arists own organizations.

I have heard accusations that the labels get better per-play royalty than indies do, but what I have received from them (about $5 in three years) is comparable to US airplay royalties, which are a pittance unless you’re playing once an hour around the world.

What I find more bothersome is that I have never been contacted by someone who said “I heard of you from a track stumbled on Spotify,” and more bothersome is that Spotify Radio doesn’t know how to categorize any music not on a major label.

Despite that, I’m a subscriber. It’s handy, it works.

Want anti-depressants and a time machine trip back to 1985. :(

While I agree, “musicians, and music professionals,” are getting screwed over, like never before; I also believe that opportunity in music exists like never before. Technology is its own worst enemy; Spotify is already old.

The human race has quit or at the very least, “cut down,” on their purchasing of records, tapes, and cd’s. At the same time, people are consuming more music, and media than ever before. There are still concerts, night clubs, house parties, and now there is all this digitally media that can place music instantly, anywhere, and whenever.

My suggestions is to look at this from the music listeners point of view; there has never been a better time to be a music fan. IMHO, It is just like real estate. You can make money in a buyers, and a sellers market; albeit, it is a lot tougher for those selling to make money in a buyers market.

Music in film, music in games, music at sports tournaments, music in commercials, and brands that are sponsors of concerts and festivals. Music professionals tied into content marketing. That is where the opportunity is right now.

I just think, “you are setting yourself up for a really bad day,” by worrying about the $0.0001 per play, you will get via streaming. You are far better off contemplating, “how can I get Coca Cola to do something with me and my music, that will be great for Coke, and good for me.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zJWA3Vo6TU

Brands need music.

Puff Daddy’s mega fortune, is really from his ties to Ciroc Vodka, and his Clothing Line.

Music is a door opener. That is the way it needs to be looked at now… Otherwise you are going to get depressed, and lost in a sea of, “how can I make money selling my music.” Which, imho, is futile…

As for Spotify… I say, “go for it…” I like Sirius Sat Radio, and I’m constantly listening to music on Vevo, Di.fm, and the radio…

All that said, “yes, artists are getting screwed.”

I agree with that article too, because it defines how I approach my music, though I haven’t taken the same actions for my own reasons. Thanks for the link, now I have a stronger way to explain myself to people who ask.

In the sense that one must stand out and be unique to succeed, I don’t see how anything has changed.

If I remember correctly, airplay royalty hasn’t changed much in 30 years.

Without reiterating too much, I know people who only get music from one virtually walled-up place, such as iTunes store, so I made a point to put something there so that sort of person can stumble across some part of my catalog. Reaching ears is my goal, not making money.

Ofcourse things are easier said than done… but, “still possible.”

This article may shed some light: How You Turn Music Into Money in 2012 (Spoiler: Mostly iTunes) - The Atlantic

Zoe Keating made her music income numbers public, with interesting observations.

This, too: My $treaming Data | Zoë Keating