Steinberg vs Focusrite? Presonus vs KRK?

Steinberg UR22mkII vs. Focusrite 2i4
Presonus Eris E5 vs. KRK Rockit 5 G3

A friend is about to get an audio interface and a pair of monitors to build up a home studio, and asked me to help him decide between 2 audio interfaces and 2 audio monitors mentioned above, which are very close in price.

There are tons of comparisons on the net, and each prefers one to another, so totally it seems that the differences between these models are not much.

If anyone has any idea/experience with these models please share. They would be appreciated indeed. :slight_smile:

p.s. Audio interface would be used with a win7 x64 machine.

I own the Eris E5’s, they’re great. The Rockits are probably fine too though. I don’t have experience with either of those interfaces, but I would probably go with the Steinberg. I’ve read bad things about Focusrite drivers have poor latency compared to other interfaces, and I really didn’t realize how much that difference was until I recently upgraded from my 2i2 to a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL. I didn’t even realize latency could get this low over USB 2.0, it’s almost non existent. I test latency by monitoring through the DAW and the interface at the same time, so instead of just a number I can actually hear the difference. On the 2i2, there’a very noticeable difference even on the fastest buffer setting possible. On the Presonus, the signals are sitting almost directly on top of each other.

I own the Eris E5’s, they’re great. The Rockits are probably fine too though. I don’t have experience with either of those interfaces, but I would probably go with the Steinberg. I’ve read bad things about Focusrite drivers have poor latency compared to other interfaces, and I really didn’t realize how much that difference was until I recently upgraded from my 2i2 to a Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL. I didn’t even realize latency could get this low over USB 2.0, it’s almost non existent. I test latency by monitoring through the DAW and the interface at the same time, so instead of just a number I can actually hear the difference. On the 2i2, there’a very noticeable difference even on the fastest buffer setting possible. On the Presonus, the signals are sitting almost directly on top of each other.

Thanks for the helpful tip about latency :slight_smile: I also found some reviews online stating that Focusrite drivers have problems with ASIO, resulting in poor latency. Steinberg seems to have more stable drivers.

Have not tried any steinberg gear out, so i can’t really comment on them. Run win/64, I have a focusrite scarlet 6i6 for approximately a year and have had no problems with it, i am not sure about the 2i2. Your call. I own a set of eris 4.5 though the 5 has a front facing bass port which is better imo. Some people like the rockits, i went with eris being a gift :wink: and i am happy with them. either would be sufficient i think.

just bought a steinberg ur44 and it’s been the most solid interface i’ve owned so far. the drivers are great. preamps sound decent too i’d recommend the smaller sibling!

just bought a steinberg ur44 and it’s been the most solid interface i’ve owned so far. the drivers are great. preamps sound decent too i’d recommend the smaller sibling!

+1

I just picked up the Steinberg UR22, I’m diggin it!

While I do use Win 7 x64, I’m having a USB power grounding issue, so any interface I run on that machine makes lots of really bad noise. But I don’t blame the interface for that (I also tested with my Pioneer djm900nxs, same problem). So I use it primarily on my Mac, and it’s 100% what I needed. Would recommend!

[edit]

Oh btw, this interface powers Rokit 5 3rd gen, and a first gen rp10s. Sounds crystal! Would also recommend!

I’ve also got the first gen Rokit 8’s with the 12sho. Of course that system is the beez kneez, but the 5’s and 10 sound great as well. No complaints.

Thank you all for your helpful replies :slight_smile:

I own a set of eris 4.5 though the 5 has a front facing bass port which is better imo.

Now I’m pushed off-topic here, why is a front bass port better? It’s obvious that it directs more of the energy forward and away from the wall behind the speakers, so they can be positioned closer to the wall. But is it the only advantage?

There are many positive reviews about the award winning D-Pre class A preamps on UR22mkII, it seems they are the biggest advantage that makes UR22 stand out.

I just picked up the Steinberg UR22, I’m diggin it!

Oh btw, this interface powers Rokit 5 3rd gen, and a first gen rp10s. Sounds crystal! Would also recommend!

So you have one of the possible set ups and they go well together… thanks for sharing!

That and from my understanding an arguably clearer sound, though this is subjective and not everyone agrees that it makes much of a difference. If the monitors are being placed close to the wall i think would help to prevent low freq build up.

Now I’m pushed off-topic here, why is a front bass port better? It’s obvious that it directs more of the energy forward and away from the wall behind the speakers, so they can be positioned closer to the wall. But is it the only advantage?

As Abissus said, I believe it’s subjective. However, I do think there’s some science around room dynamics (size/dimensions/materials) that jive better with certain porting, thought I couldn’t tell you what to do. Really it’s all about testing in your environment for the best sound.

I use a Roland Quad-Capture with Rokit 5s and are quite happy with it. I have nothing to compare with, but it works for me. I did not become the great audio wiz by purchasing these though, i don’t think the equipment was the real problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

I use a Roland Quad-Capture with Rokit 5s and are quite happy with it. I have nothing to compare with, but it works for me. I did not become the great audio wiz by purchasing these though, i don’t think the equipment was the real problem. :stuck_out_tongue:

hehe, never is. From what I understand, the best investment that can be made is in one’s own ears :wink:

hehe, never is. From what I understand, the best investment that can be made is in one’s own ears :wink:

what like robot ears?

jp-grandmas-boy.jpg

Hehe.

Was thinking more like this… (edit)

locator8.jpg

Buy used firewire interface + cheap firewire pcie adapter card… Much faster and also cheaper, IMO.

yep, same for me. windows 10 support is great and it has a loopback feature.

Well, my friend has found a pair of used Yamaha HS7’s, very close to the price of Rokit5’s and E5’s. He will be testing them in a couple of days and if they’re OK, he’ll go for them. I also encouraged him as I’ve heard much about the honesty of Yamahas, and undoubtedly a 6.5" woofer provides much more bass detail than a 5".

For interface, it seems that Steinberg would be a wiser choice. Thanks again for all the helpful replies. :slight_smile: