Step-Switch For Renoise

While trying to rebuild a VSTi with native renoise devices I got stuck at some point, because what the VSTi did, was to switch between 2 stages of a paramter with each keystroke.

Let’s say for example:
1st keystroke -> pan left, 2nd keystroke -> pan right (and loop back)

AS far as I know there is no way to do something like this by native device.

What I’d like to suggest is a step-device, moving one step forward each time it’s triggered and/or moving to a step-nr. by trigger-value and containing a list of entries, where each entry consists of:

step nr., track, device, param, value

A step-nr. can have multiple entries. After the last step is reached the step-sequence is looped from the start (or maybe even better from a selectable step-nr as loop point).

Of course it would be cool the have these entries in automation available, but I guess that’s a bit foolish wish because I remember the parameter-count issue for native devices.

Something like this would allow pattern-independent parameter sequencing like fixed filter sequences, panning, “dynamic” volume by sequence and a lot more. You get the idea, what spectrum of usage something like this would have.

Any thoughts?

-BA

The VSTi you’re trying to emulate is some kind of step sequencer that has direct keyboard input?

A custom LFO device with a point envelope comes a long towards emulating this behavior, but I guess it’s not as keyboard-centric as you want.

Nope, a LFO doesn’t work here. While my suggestion is not only about that special issue to rebuild the VSTi only. A simple inverting of values by trigger would do the trick in 2 steps for that, without the need for a whole step-sequencer. But sadly even that’s not possible atm.

Edit: Maybe anyone has an idea to make devices switch each other on and off stepwise by trigger?

Well, I forgot about the on/off is not even available as param in automation. Which maybe should be!?

Edit: HAH! Got it working. :yeah: Just have to fiddle with some details. Will post in T&T later.

You can step trigger stuff with two custom LFO’s.
Let for instance a key/velocity tracking device trigger the first LFO with a custom curve from >0 to 0. This LFO must trigger the frequency of a second LFO (frequency inf LPC will “pause” the second LFO. Then just adjust the first LFO curve so that every time you hit a key it will switch to next point and then “pause” in LFO2. Route the second LFO to pan.

I’m guessing (not able to test right now) this will not be perfect, and that you will hear some very short initial sound on the other channel before it switches point. This can still be very useful.

Other then that I agree that we need a lot more devices. And I’m pretty sure we will get a lot more devices like this in the future.
Also the entire instrument section in renoise will be redesigned. So this will improve for sure…

BTW, I tried to make a trumpet/brass kinda emulation a couple of years ago to test the hydradevice. You might find it interesting. It has quite many LFO switches and even a device/envelope randomization for every note you trigger. Just to give it a more human touch. The routing is quite complex though…
I never bothered to fine tune the attacks or the vibrato speed/depth etc. But still not bad I think.
A velocity sensitive midi keyboard is required as this will sound better playing live. Recording notes to pattern editor and play back can often do some strange stuff with the attacks it seems (*remind myself to test this more for renoise bugs…).

Download

Gah!!! :panic:

I think it will take me all month to figure out what you have going on there.
Sounds awesome. Very realistic trumpet.

Thanks for this

Thanks Pysj, already found a solution that works like a real switch.

I’m with you, Shazaam. Same thoughts over here. :) I already thought I’m a native device junkie. But the trumpet is true hardcore stuff. :D

Np. Yes, there are several ways you can make different kind of switches.
I use to ‘invent’ them each time I make something like this.
In the future we should and will have better devices for this. Simply to make things easier and more clear.

^^ I know… I almost have to study it myself to try to remember what I did.
Hopefully we can rename devices soon. Would make things much more clear.
I also have a lot of other synthesis in my archive. Seems like there is a hunger for these things. I’ll post more when I come home from my holidays.