Still releasing music on physical support in 2022?

Hi there!

In the past I’ve released a few albums on physical support (CD) and that was fine. But for now I would hesitate to release something non digital as everybody mainly listen music on the internet.

But one another way, I fell a physical support show to listeners that the composer is involved into his music (because it’s less easy to do something physical than publishing tracks on the internet). And it’s also a way different to listen.
The problem is I feel it’s harder now for indies to sell, and even share their CD, vinyl or tapes. No?

So I wanted to know, are you still releasing music on physical support? Thinking of it? Or only digital?

1 Like

I have never released anything except two tracks, one in the 90s on a CD compilation and the other 8 years ago on a digital label compilation. So no, I don’t relase anything on physical media. Even if I would be a celeb like you (What does it need to get on this list of artists? :upside_down_face:) I wouldn’t release everything on physical media. It depends on the music style you’re creating. Techno for example should be released on vinyl, too. And it’s good to have Rock on CD, too. But I wouldn’t release the kind of music we do on physical media. It’s not worth the effort and the costs. So my personal answer would be: Only digital.

1 Like

I only buy CDs where I possible, some stuff that isn’t pressed to CD I will buy digital through Bandcamp. Some physical media presense is good but I suspect these days that it isn’t viable without a label to support you so if you are indie and self-represented then weigh up the cost/benefit. I also avoid Spotify/Apple/Tidal etc. like the plague, some people will support you digitally if you literally can’t release physical. It’s a tough call and a difficult industry. Perhaps think of some added benefit to buying from Bandcamp, a sticker or something small?II

2 Likes

I want to release a physical thing because I like the idea of tangible objects with interesting aesthetics. But I’d want to do a limited run of individually assembled packages. Each one unique. There would still be a digital version, but it would be packaged with a form of artwork.

I’ve thought of doing a tape release as well, but not because doing something less easy has any relation to the quality of music or the commitment of the artist (it doesn’t) but because it lends itself to a particular listening experience.

3 Likes

It’s interesting, it’s a way more personal and artistic.
I’ve already though of making something more special than the classic CD case, like between a CD and a book, but I need to compose the right album to fit with that. :smiley:

I understand and I’m not fan of these too, but the fact is today is nearly the only way to bring back some money while releasing something.

About Spotify: even famous musicians don’t sell that lot physical albums today, for example Neil Youg (who recently quitted Spotify, read here (in french)) said that Spotify was 60% on his earning now. :open_mouth:

Here is the story: 10 years ago I’ve send a thankful email to the Renoise team and tell about my albums, so they proposed me to be into this list, friendly isn’t it? :slight_smile:

Fortunately that was never necessary to have a big audience to produce and sell a few physical albums. But managing to sell music require LOTS of energy, as you can imagine there is no magic into this. :dizzy:

But effectively the kind of music have a big influence too, as listeners of 70’-80’ rock are more used to listen and bought vinyls for sure.

1 Like

Yes, even as a listener I wouldn’t support Spotify. I want to support my favorite artists and not a company which exploits my favorite artists. And as an artist I wouldn’t like to be taken advantage of.

60% of his streaming income, yes, but his total income is more than that. :slightly_smiling_face:
He doesn’t need Spotify and I’m sure he can increase his streaming income again without Spotify if he wants to.

Nice, indeed.

Yes, that’s why I wouldn’t do it. Another artist from the Renoise list also told me about his efforts to increase his audience and followers. It took years and so much time and energy, but the effort outweighed the benefits. It’s always like that if you’re not producing radio friendly chart music which always sound the same.

Ah you are right, I missed that was only the streaming part! But it’s still a big part from Spotify.
Anyway I think with Spotify, Youtube or social medias, it’s that so massive medias that it’s too much. We are really really far from the local record shop.

About the topic there are lots people who don’t have a CD player now. On the other side, CD and vinyls still exist into the musical market. I’m curious about how indies deal with all that. Not that simple.

I still believe “value added” digital can work. You sell a digital album on Bandcamp, what can you offer for a more expensive purchase? Physical media is one avenue, but what about artwork, agree to host an AMA, offer select track stems, stickers or something. People love to support artists or projects they feel connected to - Patreon is a good example. Lots of options.

I think it took 15 years to get where it is right now and it can be over in the same period of time, if not even quicker, especially in terms of Spotify, which is only one streaming platform among many. This business became fast moving, especially online. Everything will go down one day, even Spotify, Amazon, Facebook and else… :slightly_smiling_face:

Look at Bandcamp and else, that’s how indies deal with it. Use Youtube, Soundcloud and else to spread the music and get the connection to Bandcamp, Beatport and else and then sell the music digital and/or in a small number in a physical form. Furthermore I think CDs and vinyl exist for decades now and will still exist in future, even if the sale of digital copies will be the largest market share. But I don’t believe that streaming is the future, at least not in the long term. Maybe in the medium term. But Spotify surely won’t last forever.

Yes, merchandise can be another way to gain some money. And if you’re already known by some people you can also use kickstarter and else to inititate a music project like an album, just like Chris Hülsbeck and others did.