Stimuli & Music

Hello Renoise.

I have a rather radical request for you tonight. I am wondering on the way you prepare yourself for your “sessions” or how you “cozy in”. With a cup of coffe & cigarettes? Hot Shower?5methoxy-nn-dimethyltryptamine?

I think you catch my drift - what is your stimuli? what is your rituals? and so forth… - and how does it improve/guide your inspiration and workflow?

And now i know friends, that there is cynics amongst you’s, that claim purity… to those of you i say this -

human culture is based on intoxication. We, in here, are the producers of inoculations for other pods ofconsciousnesses- very well, we are the creators of meta-substances of stimuli. The music, one of the more subtle drugs of everyday life - the soothing remedy that rids men of boredom and pain, the sonic alchemy that rids us of The Most True horrors of reality, the horror of meaninglessness. Yes we are also the creators of sound that will render some fragile minds traumatized - or maybe just rather bothered…

Posting while high: Not even once.

… I know what you did last summer…

Also, masturbating whilst posting - counts as being high.

In the past things may have been different, however, nowadays sobriety helps with my concentration and focus.

I am thinking about music often and do bring that with me into the studio.

I have tried meditiation or just holding a particular thought or feeling before commencing.

Mostly I am just compelled to create. Allways have been.

Inspiration reveals itself in many forms, i could not say what that is specifically, as it is vast.

I do however tend to smoke ciggarettes more whilst composing (and the occassional coffee).

I will smoke and pace about planning the next move, or just trying to remain in the space of what it is I am composing.

These small breaks may improve my workflow or help to remain focussed. I am not sure.

In the past things may have been different…

How was it back then, if you don’t mind me asking ?

to compose i use to make some reflexion about everythings about the future song , i listen to the last samples i’m made in the past few days -month year.

soemtimes something happened a sample called me and i start making some melodies (not complicated as i make some droneambient music) but same when i was drunk or high in the past it deserve me to making music !!

i need just some calm conscience state the coffe arrive sometimes but it doesn’t matter with compo

Sober will let you have control of your phantasy. Yes, control. While high it might seem to suddenly live, but be totally fucked up, too fast for your diminished concentration, and be forgotten before you could nail it down in a daw. And believe me, it’s all there while sober, too, just under your control of will and not as seemingly big and impressive, still the same while more humble in appearance. Idea is Idea, it can mean the same however big it is in appearance. And most commonly people will cease to work on projects all the time because of motivational problems if they try to “work” high all the time. Or go mad at some point and need a long necessary break in a psych ward. It isn’t funny at all.

If you desperately need something “new”, try meditation and not drugs, it isn’t as “easy” and will need lots of more dedication, but give better results, more of yourself, more under control.

Stimuli is love for music, the idea you’re currently transporting, inspiration by this love.

Sober will let you have control of your phantasy. Yes, control. While high it might seem to suddenly live, but be totally fucked up, too fast for your diminished concentration, and be forgotten before you could nail it down in a daw. And believe me, it’s all there while sober, too, just under your control of will and not as seemingly big and impressive, still the same while more humble in appearance. Idea is Idea, it can mean the same however big it is in appearance. And most commonly people will cease to work on projects all the time because of motivational problems if they try to “work” high all the time. Or go mad at some point and need a long necessary break in a psych ward. It isn’t funny at all.

If you desperately need something “new”, try meditation and not drugs, it isn’t as “easy” and will need lots of more dedication, but give better results, more of yourself, more under control.

Stimuli is love for music, the idea you’re currently transporting, inspiration by this love.

Thank you “oopsIFly” for sharing your thought’s - albeit I believe you are misunderstanding me … I DO in fact mean stimuli and all it’s varieties, not necessarily “Drugs”.

Hear me out!

I like you idea that everything is there, inherent already in the system. But we cant always access the inspiration we seek.

It is, as I slightly brushed in my original post, a great common misconception to name all substances of stimulation that is obtained in physical form; a _Drug._And again it’s the same and an even greater misconception to say that obtaining certain states of consciousness is “wrong” or “ultimately dangerous” - I understand your whole vibe, and I appreciate your “concern”, and in the meantime I do agree that many substances should be stayed clear from! - What i DO NOT appreciate is your condescending notion’s of “what I desperately need” – UNLESS, just unless, you’re really pure… i don’t know you - i wont make the mistake of blabbering like a brainless boob (lol as if) - so I’m gonna assume that you don’t eat mainstream products, don’t eat meat, gmo regulated veggies, chocolate, don’t drink alcohol, coffee, tea, water from the tap and so on and so forth. Look around you oops - and tell me what is drugs? please define that for me - if you cannot - then check this out:

I am going to introduce you to a small theory of mine, that includes the Definition of what is Drug’s and what is Medicine! to make you try and understand me, I sure hope I haven’t offended you too much - I wont be doing that anymore. Now please…

All substances of ingestion, of one way or another, be it drinking, eating, smoking or other ways, have on a variable of time, five phases. (very simplified version here)

1 - Your “idea” or “conception” of the substance

2 - The come-on’

3 - the peak

4 - the come-down’

5 - and aftermath

… so to speak

So its very simple, You gather the negative and positive effects - and put them in the variable, put them where they introduce themselfes in your experince with the substance. the amount of “time” each input sensation is measuring - thats its ultimate “value” in this system of mine, the amount of time each _sensation/emotion_or consequence fill up in the variable … Now I’ll give you a very simple example:

1: Desperate anticipations (1hrs)

2: Gloomy “happy” Extacy, Loathing(20 min.)

3: more extacy and more loathing ect. (5 min.)

4: Anxiety & restless concern (3-4 hrs.)

5: Paranoia, Physical sickness & discomfort, energy fatique ect. ect…(days)

now thats not a good one!

heres another one.

1: Unknown expectations - anxiety(1 hr.)

2: Wobbling sickness, stomach pains, womitting (3 hrs.)

3: Divine blastoff - encounter with heaven and hell (3 hrs.)

4: recollection, focus, playfull imagination, wisdom (5 hrs.)

5: a sensation of calm, a new outlook on life.(days…)

that’s a bit better…

Now you measure the positive and the negative effects.

Curiously enough - the more easy Joy and “emotional quick fixes” there is in the initial phases of you’re substance - worse it will be in the aftermath. the same on the other hand, often with initial sickness follows serenity, you see? Like all sickness is just a fight for knowledge and health - it shouldn’t be the other way around - you get me?

I hope you try and understand me - thank you

yeah i know ima sod - excuse me

this is interesting. I have to be in the right mood to create the music&sounds that I am content with. There are different moods leading to different outcomes. And different settings to achieve them. Daytime is as much an ingredient as is weather and light. For example creating soothing ambient sounds goes best on a foggy sunday morning when the streets are quiet and the sun is just about to rise. my ‘drug’ of choice is always caffeine, I drink gallons of black/green tea, because it has a slower and smoother AHDSR curve than coffee (coffee has an ADHS curve instead, I think :smiley: ).

Having said all that - smoking some weed together with a cold beer and then diving into the renoise pond… that is just so much fun. Feels like relaxing in a warm bathtub with foam and bubbles and a rubberduck. After a while I am definitely certain, that I finally created the überhit everybody will love. Then I listen to it the next day and don’t understand one bit - it’s just a noisy mess. But I never regret it because the experience is worth it.

How was it back then, if you don’t mind me asking ?

At the time I suppose I thought I was being inspired and sometimes focused.
In hindsight though I may have occasionally been inspired, However, I discovered the inspiration was within me and I didn’t need anything external. In fact, now it is almost a distraction and if not sober, I can tend to muddy mixes or not know when to stop.
But hey, if it works for you, get wasted :wink:

At the time I suppose I thought I was being inspired and sometimes focused.
In hindsight though I may have occasionally been inspired, However, I discovered the inspiration was within me and I didn’t need anything external. In fact, now it is almost a distraction and if not sober, I can tend to muddy mixes or not know when to stop.
But hey, if it works for you, get wasted :wink:

… Ok.I’ts not exactly my idea of inspiration - but what the hell, here i go to get wasted anyway :).

Haha. Zang.
Also, I should add, I am inspired by film sometimes (particularly horror and avant garde) dreams and nature.

With a clear head though, nowadays I find a melody, or even a song just begins to play in my head, for no apparent reason that I am aware of.

shit maybe i shit lay of the crack

shit maybe i shit lay of the crack

If it’s not working for you, then yes. :wink: