Struggle with Semantics Copy, Clone, Alias on Pattern Matrix Blocks

I just jumped into Renoise and struggle to explaining these words for myself.
Also the translation of these words into German.

I do not understand the benefits of Aliasing vs Cloning and Copy.

Clone:
A Clone of a Block is a exact copy but a independent Block. Same as i copy&paste a Block.
So i have a identical unique Block. But its not called a Copy.
If i expand a Block in the Pattern Matrix via the Bottom-Expand Arrorw. Do i have then a unique
independed duplicate also despite the fact that they look chained?

Is it a Copy or a Clone? Whats the different?

Alias:
A Alias Block is a un-independet copy and chained to the original whereever the other Alais Blocks are? The Benefit is that the Alias can be anywhere in the same Song, and will change if i edit the Original?
A Alias dont copy Automations until i hit cmd/Strg+Alt while dragging?

A Clone and a Alias is a Copy of an Original Initial Block. But Copy and Clone is basically the Same, or not?

At first i was translated Alias as Clone because the independencies, but now i am not shure if
i understand the Feature right and the use of the word Clone ans Cloning for a Copy.

In the Quickstart at Page 19: - Pattern Sequencer Hint

When dealing with patterns itā€™s the numbers that are most important, not words like clone, copy or whatever. Donā€™t get caught up in semantics. Just look at the numbers. If you modify #1, all Patterns labeled #1 will be affected. If you modify Pattern #0, all #0 will be affected. Simple

^^, Sure

But this is only the Case if we use Alias Pattern (right click the plus icon), Right?

On the Same Page it is written that we can CLONE a Pattern with the ā€œoverlapping rectangleā€ icons insteat of Copy it:

Clone the current patternClicking the circled button will create a new pattern below the selected onewhich duplicates the data from pattern 1.

So thats makes me blaaaahrrrrurghhh*

Thanks for clearifying this

1 Like

ā€˜Aliasā€™
Appears to be a pointer to a record full of data, changes to orginal should affect all aliases.

ā€˜Cloneā€™
Seems to create a new pre-populated record, initially filled with the same data as the original pattern.

ā€˜Copyā€™
Seems to refer to the process of creating a new empty record and manually filling it with paste.

As a general rule of thumbā€¦ every pattern in a tracker should always be unique, even it if is one
volume or panning valueā€¦ so its more human-like and less boring.

Hthā€¦

In the Pattern Sequencer it make more sense while trying.

Yeh, okay Understand Alias Blocks nowā€¦its awesome
With [ALT] i can just drop a Block anywhere and it will be an Alias, he update every change i do on the original Block. With the expand Arrow on Blocks below edge and [Alt] i can draw a vertical line with Aliases. okokā€¦nice

In Real Life an Alias is the Same Person with just another Name

Clone is just Copy of a Block with data, you say? hm okā€¦also cloning means just copy stuff (tracks, notes, patternā€¦)

But copy a empty pattern is also copy something and also a clone of something ^^,

Yeah, sounds like that is the gist of it.

The ā€œCloneā€ will carry over the ā€œAutomation Envelopesā€;
whereas when using a ā€œCopyā€ one would manually copy
just the things they choose to.

1 Like