Suggestion For A Gate Effect Vst

Hi,
I really like the gater effect of the dBlue’s Glitch vst. Is there any single effect plugin with the same effect?

In generale: can you suggest me some good (possibly free) gate plugins?

Dunno of a good free one, but CamelSpace from Camel Audio has an awesome gate. It is powerful and easy to use.

it is not a vst, but you could try what you can do with the native Renoise Gate, coupled with a Signal Follower, Key Tracker and/or LFO?

What he’s talking about is commonly referred to as a ‘trance gate’, ie. a rhythmic volume gating effect that modulates the volume with a specific pattern in time with the tempo.

This is actually incredibly easy to do natively in Renoise by using an LFO linked to a Gainer. You can even use a custom LFO envelope to create more interesting patterns, rather than simply toggling the volume on and off.

Example:
2117 renoise-trance-gate.xrns

[quote=“dblue, post:4, topic:32765”]
What he’s talking about is commonly referred to as a ‘trance gate’, ie. a rhythmic volume gating effect that modulates the volume with a specific pattern in time with the tempo.

This is actually incredibly easy to do natively in Renoise by using an LFO linked to a Gainer. You can even use a custom LFO envelope to create more interesting patterns, rather than simply toggling the volume on and off.

Example:
2117 renoise-trance-gate.xrns

Thanks, you’re right. This is actually cool, but still the effect I get with the Glitch gainer on the drums is a lot better than the one with this Renoise technique. But maybe it’s just that I don’t find the right settings.

@dblue: surely you can rebuild the Gate from your own Glitch VST with native Renoise effects, right? right?

It should still be possible to get pretty close to the baisc sound my Gater effect by just using Renoise native devices, but obviously it really depends on what you’re doing, and it will probably never be 100% identical. Maybe if you could give me an example of exactly what you’re doing with Glitch’s Gater effect, then I could get some other ideas for how to rebuild it in Renoise for you.

You mean to put something together with existing native devices, or to create a completely new native effect?

that is what i mean, yeah. but i see you answered above already.

btw: me using ‘surely’ in that sentence and you not saying “and don’t call me shirley” was a bit disappointing, so i am mentioning it here because it is such a brilliant joke (for the uninitiated: go watch ‘Airplane!’)

I attached an example.

Of course you need the Glitch vst installed :D

Not sure if it will load the correct settings, so, with the gater effect in solo, these are the ones I’m using:

• speed: 4
  • length: 18%
  • volume: 0%

The file did not attach to the post correctly, but it’s no problem since you mentioned the settings.

Here’s a Renoise 2.7.1 XRNS file for you:
2125 renoise-gater-vs-glitch-gater.xrns

The gater speed settings are pretty much identical, but there is still a subtle difference in the overall sound/character. This is simply due to differences in how Renoise and Glitch handle the rapid volume changes. Renoise applies a fixed amount of smoothing which can sometimes make the attacks sound a bit dull. By comparison, Glitch uses an adaptive algorithm I came up with which is a bit ‘smarter’ most of the time, which helps to maintain the sharp attacks by calculating different amounts of smoothing based on the sound itself.

What Dblue suggested is probably the best solution…but you can also use the volume column for that effect on samples.

My bad, I forgot to press the button to attach the file. Anyway it’s too big to upload on the forum, so here’s the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?u88aogdyv4w50mf

if your algorithm is indeed ‘smarter’ than the Renoise one, and seeing you are now on the dev team, have you considered implementing your algorithm in Renoise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0_zWIBfTAs

(Sorry couldn’t resist.)

haha priceless!! :lol: