Suggestions for Renoise 3.1

I don’t have the time for making comparisons, but the eardrum piercing shrieking sound Renoise produces with some of its filters on high resonance settings is dangerous. Maybe some consider it a feature :wink: , but I think it should be prevented in its design…

oh yes i had recieved some bad resonance pain in my ears, and a thougt its pretty scary stuff :smashed:im trying allways use peak limiter thingy because of accidental resonance and audio input feedback

Djeroek is absolutely correct, even self-oscillating filters aren’t supposed to sound like that.

Haha, the filters in renoise aren’t stable enough at hi res? haven’t noticed yet…

Anyways, wanna make me buy renoise, und update again and again, and even be willing to pay more for it than it costs now? Do some of the following:

• real plugin support with arbitrary number of input/output channels. routing devices to interconnect.

• modular routing interface with boxes to interconnect would be optional for me, the way it’s handled now works good enough for “modular” routing (if the point above would be implemented). maybe group-collapsable send channels, and ability to place sendchans between tracks.

• pure audio tracks, displaying shrunk waveforms in the pattern view.

• ability to view multiple automation lanes simultaneously and time corellated. next to each other, or in the same window with different colors. maybe even view note/audio data of selected track(s) in the back of those window, or 90° rotated automation data in track view. i wish to really tweak automations, doesn’t work like it’s done right now without these features.

• maybe even a better sequencer, possibly like jeskola buzz style. The one right now feels like a toy without real visual feedback of what data you’re actually shifting around. ok it’s a tracker, but anyways.

• some more midi love - i can’t map aftertouch or pitchbend to parameters? duh. i can’t record midi automation at high resolutions, while with manual/realtime stuff is possible, wha?

• yah, some internal plugins suck, why note make up open binary native plugin interfaces giving people the possibility to produce better stuff than the builtin? real native stuff taking advance of parameter routing stuff, instrument modulation/fx chain stuff and routing and such might bloom up and make renoise even more attractive to freaks. People complain they don’t have a native synth stuff, why not open api to let it be done, and let it be driven by a tracker style spirit with porta and fx commands instead of midi?

Already looking into the tracktion direction, but it seems like they can’t meta-device style parameter/automation mangling right now? also i want hex columns to program Musik… :mellow:

Faster modulation lfos, 20hz is not fast enough for me

Faster modulation lfos, 20hz is not fast enough for me

That would perhaps need sampleresolution/cv-style modulation to get the desired effects without side-effects. And then it’d be up to the individual plugins to support such high resolution modulation. I’m puking everytime when for example pitchbend or modulation for a synth isn’t smoothed in it’s effects on sampleresolution, or at least close to. Zippernoise effect, or in case of lfo heavy aliasing. “Normal” Control ports aren’t made for such “abuse”.

Atleast for pitch lfo modulation it should go to 100hz or more. I think this would still be useful and sometimes “side-effects” can be useful, too.

limiting the amplitude at full resonance range so the dc offset isn’t tilting in the scopes to infinity and destroying monitors isn’t child proofing imo, it sounds like crap and comes across cheap. You can draw an envelope in the instrument editors filters, automate or accidentally click on the slider so it reaches the ‘danger-zone’ quite easily even if you know how filters work. Once experienced with headphones on, you’ll treat with more care for sure…

I have experienced it with headphones on.

It sucks for sure and it makes me treat the filter with a light touch, but I like it as it is.

As a person who also writes signal processing algorithms (albeit for video), I tend to favor simpler functions. They don’t have a lot of the warm, fuzzy, bottom wiping of more expensive ones, but they tend to introduce less processing artifacts, behave more intuitively and use up less system resources.

Thanks for the awesome release of 3.0.

Some wishes for me are left:

• GUI on OSX is still somehow slow in some situations. E.g. take the EatMe-Mode song: In mixer view I clearly can see how the framerate drops to maybe 20-30fps. Also switching the tabs somehow lags. It’s not a show stopper, but could be better, in my opinion.

Just out of curiosity, which Mac do you have?

Since everyone else is posting their wishlist. Mostly simple workflow stuff, Renoise is already the fastest DAW to work with for me but a few little improvements and it can inch closer to telepathically reading music directly from your brain :slight_smile:

• Measure highlight

• Ability to select, copy, and paste volume column only

• Key binding for selecting individual columns instead of having to use the mouse

• Pattern editor shortcut for jump to effect column, just like tab/shift+tab cycles note columns

• Save custom initialize patches for VSTs

• Auto capture instrument switching instruments even when the instrument hasn’t been used in the current pattern

Mmh. I heard this before. That might sound stupid, but I always wonder what the difference between a good and a bad filter actually sounds like.
I would really appreciate if someone could put up two audio examples of the same sound once played with bad filters and once with good ones.

do you have some decent hardware synths to compare ?

An example of a good digital filter …nord modular , even the filter on my old yamaha a5000 sampler .sounds fabulous compared to renoise .

Good software filters …blaukraut charlatan ( freeware and zdf filter ) , 2 pole is an ota design ( ms 20’s )

Zebra 2.7 , xmf filter with audio rate modulation …sounds great ( no zdf ) , new ms20 type filters in zebra 2.7 …zdf ( zero delay feedback introduced by vadim zavalishin …reaktor core was the first implmentation of a zdf filter .)

Just crank up resonance and do a filter sweep , the real weakness in most software filters is when the cutoff is modulated at audio rate ( renoise can’t do that ) and high reso…

Thing is …the instrument filters in renoise just don’t do it for me …they have been there from the beginning …almost 10 years …and no you can’t replace them with plugins , because the instrument filters are polyphonic

Just a small note or some info from the developers like …hey we are working on some new filters would be more then welcome …

So , new filters coming or not ???

Wishlist? just one wish… since 2002:

Let’s throw in my firecracker : shhhh ---- fieuwwww ---- BAM!! ->https://forum.renoise.com/t/play-a-selection-of-a-sample-in-any-note-instantly/41105

:drummer: Would pay 200 euro’s (or roughly 270 dollars) for the dev that makes this happen :drummer:

I would really like it if I could send MIDI clock to more than one MIDI port.

Right now that’s the tiebreaker in the contest of “Is Ableton or Renoise my my Rewire master?”

GPU POWERED GUI ON OS X.

!!! THE FEATURE IS IMPLEMENTED TODAY !!!

1.https://forum.renoise.com/t/play-a-selection-of-a-sample-in-any-note-instantly/41105

2.https://forum.renoise.com/t/give-us-loop-fine-editor-back/39802

3. ???

4. profit!

edit; made my post a bit less provoking to the devs - sorry 'bout that ^.^

01 A little tweak to the LFO Device:

Add a sync to [your value] LBP checkbox in the LFO Device to get the LFO synced with tempo. It would be stopped when the audio engine is turned off.

Currently, I have to do the following workaround to have the lfo always synced: I have to write a reset automation on each new pattern to be sure that my gate activated by my lfo follows the tempo tightly.

02 In the sampler, the renaming function should be available when many samples are selected, an incremented number would be added at the end of the name…

03 It would be nice to have a favorited list of instrument available in the browser, like it works in the chain effects and plugin window.

Perhaps I’m not expecting any big stuff for 3.1, but I could mention my top 5 anyway:

1) Full song overview (through Pattern Matrix / Arranger / whatever) and able to do rough edits, glue blocks etc.

2) Audiotracks / Horizontal waveform display.

3) Better GUI / Configurable layout / attachable windows and inserts. For instance ”Quick-mix view” could be vertically (like the current Mix-view), rather than insert effects horizontally. I made a mock-up regarding the first three suggestions inthisandthistopic.

4) More than one song-instances simultaneously (with tabs).

Last but not least:

5) More frequent updates (I’m willing to pay more for this).

Perhaps I’ll add some more later, but this is what I can think of right now.

I’ve used Logic Pro recent years, but I would perhaps consider to have Renoise as the main DAW if it someday will ”fill the gaps” & include the features of a modern DAW. I’m currently mainly using Renoise as Slave for creating some drums, but more often I use it only if any instrument require some more ”vivid sound” such as pitch slides etc.

**2)**Audiotracks / Horizontal waveform display

There could be a pre rendered waveform in the background of the automation display, that re-renders (with some minor delay) the waveform on every automation drawing. So you could exactly see where and how you influence the audio (ok that won’t work with lfos and such not track stuff). Of course small track notes directly in the automation would help, too. This comparing pattern with automation view all the time could be improved…

There could be a pre rendered waveform in the background of the automation display, that re-renders (with some minor delay) the waveform on every automation drawing. So you could exactly see where and how you influence the audio (ok that won’t work with lfos and such not track stuff). Of course small track notes directly in the automation would help, too. This comparing pattern with automation view all the time could be improved…

I suggested something similiar in the two topics. It was something like this:

The “Quick Mix” (you know the inserts) view at the lowest frame could be moved to the far left, and it could stand up and not lay down like currently (meaning vertically instead of horizontally) so you’ll get better overview of the inserts PLUS leaving more space for the Pattern Editor and the Pattern Matrix & Waveform view (which is on top of the Pattern Edit in my suggestion). Anyway, regarding your thoughts and thinking of the shakeup I’ve done hypothetically, I mentioned that the Automation view could be selectable in the Waveform display instead of being the lowest frame, to get better timing etc.

The thing I´ve been waiting for years is the option to be able to modulate the sample start position in some other way than the cumbersome fx commands. Also to be able to modulate the loop positions markers would be great.

The thing I´ve been waiting for years is the option to be able to modulate the sample start position in some other way than the cumbersome fx commands. Also to be able to modulate the loop positions markers would be great.

Absolutely, yes.