(super) Smooth Scrolling

Smooth scrolling might not be preferred if you use very high speed, this is probably why you use that read the matrix/block/grid technique, but working at normal or slow speed you would benefit from it.

Now I’ll piss off and never see this thread again…

edit: just removed some not so good words… and stuff :expressionless:

eyes don’t move smoothly when reading so no help there.

@Rubber Legs.

So you tell me why movie credits is not jerking up, do you think that would be easier on the eye?
… or why did scroll texts go from shifting letters to moving by pixels?
… or have you ever contemplated, that it might be difficult to hit a ball that is not coming smooth at you?

Smooth scrolling text is definitely easier for the eyes, get real. All things that moves in a fluid manner are easier to track with your eyes, it’s very simple, and I can’t comprehend how some of you keep being ignorant about it.

Valid reasons for the current jerk mode from my point of view, is if you’re looking at fixed points, which some apparently does (I never do that, I always look below to see what’s coming), and it might also be better using jerk mode if your pattern scrolls by faster than a certain speed. IMO … but that is not what this idea is about if it would become optional of course.

So please get it into your thick skulls, that some people actually like this idea, and that’s there no reason to keep posting all your non sense crap that is irrelevant to the suggestion.

edit: removed the last line… as usual :D

Word.

Why does Renoise allow setting a GUI fps of higher than, say, 10? The list goes on, nearly to infinity…

Blah. Boooooooooooooooooooooooooring.

Smooth scrolling doesn’t mean it has to be hectic like that. What a silly comparison.

Anyway, it’d be optional, so who cares if you’d “like” that? Did I post a poll because I’m bored at work or did I post a feature suggestion?

Some clarification:
When talking about continuous scrolling - I assume that we mean playback in scroll-lock mode (matrix movie style). I don’t know what the common speed is when you’re composing, but with higher +/- > 120 BPM (speed 3), I get confused already and don’t find the scroll-lock playback mode any useful anymore (except that its cool animation). I don’t think smoothing can change this - its just too fast and too much data flying on the screen. So thats why I normally don’t use scroll-locked playback…In renoise 2.1 the decoupled playback cursor prevents the patterns from being switched to the current played pattern, so the only method to get a sight on the currently played-back pattern is by using the scroll-lock function. Thats why I hijacked your topic to state that we need something like block-scrolling. This is off course something different than smoothing - sorry for that.
If we want to smooth the pattern movement, then we have to smooth cursor movement in non-scroll-lock mode as well (and the cursor in automation view as well, etc.) isn’t it?

@knetter : you can always revert to the old way of doing things in preferences > GUI > pattern sequence.

On-topic: IMHO, I think the flash demo does a good job of demonstrating why smooth scrolling isn’t ideal for a tracker interface.
With a smoothly scrolling pattern and a fixed song position cursor, like in the video, the cursor is “inbetween lines” most of the time (if not all*).
What we’re left with is some sort of ambiguous information, like saying “you are now 73% between line x and y”.

In order to provide some usable information to us, there would need to be an additional indication of the line, whose notes/effects are actually being played.
This line should be highlighted, as soon as the cursor starts to overlap it. Try to update the video with this, and see if things are still as easy on the eye?!

• but that’s a philosophical discussion

To me it’s not so much in that I need to see the note that is playing right now.
It’s more as in being able to see the whole pattern without stutters.
It seems that there are more than one person who doesn’t per say read the highlighted note but what is about to be played.
I’m one of those I guess since I like the idea, I would say that I look in the field between the hightlighted line and the bottom of the screen.

Well put Haplo.

I think people know exactly where to edit when they hear it, I don’t see the big need in distinguishing much between two lines, if that’s your worry.

Personally I say don’t change anything at all, just smooth scroll it and job done.
… another solution could be a simple 1 pixel horizontal line that would indicate the exact position, and text could brighten up when on line, maybe.

Well, what’s “ambiguous” to you would be “more accurate” to me and others.

Can. You. Not. Just. Leave. It. At. That?

And IHMO there’d no need to highlight the currently playing line, as that is obvious. When it’s pixel aligned, it’s at the start of it, otherwise it’s somewhere in between. Right now it’s always aligned which is unexact most of the time - like clock that doesn’t move and displays the correct time twice a day.

Wtf is wrong with you, getting furious are we?
You might get into your bonehead that someone doesn’t like this idea. Now hold your horses before going into massacre, I’m not saying that you can’t like the thought. And originally I was just correcting false assumptions about eye movements, you see. And you went all nust. Go have a wank.

Yes, I’m pissed off at guys like you, that’s pretty obvious.

That’s your prob so keep it to yourself. No need to come trolling here.

How did I troll exactly? It’s you who came marching in and started trolling!

Read my previous posts here, I am well aware some don’t like the idea of various reasons and I respect that, all I’m trying to do is to get guys like YOU to understand US that would like it.

Don’t tell me to go have a wank or keep things to myself, don’t get on my business you freaking TROLL!

It is not relevant at all if someone doesn’t like that idea. As in, that is no reason to post. It’s about as releveant or as interesting as the name of your teddy bear, get it? As I said: it’s a feature suggestion, not a poll.

:huh:

Just curious, whats the idea when having lots of groove in the song? How would you see it? Or will it be smoothed like a slow car accelerating to final speed :) ?

I guess it would look as bad as it does now.
If that’s a concern, then maybe we should find a solution so it doesn’t jump around in the first place?

Datassette. Can you use that on yourself? maybe that will help you to understand/imagine, that there are people with a different opinion and perception other than yourself. Thanks for your understanding.

If someday this modern-era, stylish, classy, exotic-looking and fashionable ‘smooth scrolling’ is gonna be implemented, please do it as an option. I assume many users (like me) don’t want to miss to see when the concept of ‘LINE’ in a tracker actually triggers, and that’s so important to me.

I’m not part of those 64 people, but I can add my experience here: I’m one of those people who get headaches when playing videogames, which is the main reason for which I almost quitted gaming years ago. Though, I have no problems using Renoise for hours.

Even me, who really wants this, would NOT want this without it being optional. Because yeah, there’s times, maybe most of the time, when you’d want it off.

It’s also obvious that features wanted/needed by more people get implemented first.

Why state the obvious, repeat it even? Well…