Support for high TrackScopeWidthInSamples config values

If I set in the Renoise config.xml:

I already can see much more of the waveforms of the tracks, but the update frequency is rapidly low then, like 2Hz. Is it possible that you could fix this code to work with high values here, too?

( And maybe at sometime in future antialias the drawing, so more “details” would be visible?)

( A bomb would be if the view would show only one huge wave, if you go to solo / single track mode,optional. )

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/s_m_exoscope_by_smart_electronix

there you go you can sync it to what you’re displaying, and autosync it to pitch, stuff like that.

If you’d anti-alias (apply a linear phase filter/interpolate) you’d actually see less info, and well, you can do that yourself :stuck_out_tongue:

I already can see much more of the waveforms of the tracks, but the update frequency is rapidly low then, like 2Hz

But, it’s simply reflecting the audio data as it arrives.
Although I’ve seen other software apply fancy glow effects to camouflage this fact :huh:

“but the update frequency is rapidly low then, like 2Hz”

wait I know exactly what your problem is, but with your audio hardware… the only thing you can do is use plugins, do that, I don’t think the one I linked will do though, the melda ones will however.

Guys, thanks for the rubbish :Pand completely enter my suggestion.

Set it to 16384 and see yourself, it’s much more useful already, since you can see something of the waveform :stuck_out_tongue:

But would be even more useful, if the code was changed in the way that updates with 30hz or so… On any buffer size. Since the option is flexible to fill in, I guess it should behave like this.

It doesn’t matter so much, if the current moment will be on the right border. It doesn’t even have to preview a part. It’s ok to see what’s happing some milliseconds later.

Only the update frequency constant on any buffer size , this would be dope!

But would be even more useful, if the code was changed in the way that updates with 30hz or so… On any buffer size. Since the option is flexible to fill in, I guess it should behave like this.

With 16384 samples, you need roughly 3 updates per second.

Higher refresh would cause the waveform to scroll - but perhaps this is what you mean?

Yes exactly! :slight_smile: Scrolling then. Currently the display abruptly changes on next update. If there was scrolling the change would be obvious.

I mean there is no need to actually implement some “scrolling” it would automatically look like scrolling, if the refresh rate was constant/high.

There is an buffer, from which the line points are drawn. This buffer “just” needs to filled with more compressed waveform data from the past. No?

The larger the range the more from the past. just like the realtime pitching algorithm.

Why not decouple scope refresh rate from its width - just repeat/drop samples from the display? Like for faster updates with high width, you’d just use a ringbuffer and push into it only partial and not full buffer - so rendering is partially repeated, but who cares. Or for slower updates fill the buffer once with the most recent data only, just leaving out stuff that won’t fit in. There should be ways for sure.

I always found it annoying that scopes/fft displays react visually to the sample rate you’re running renoise in. This feels so…

I made a similar (or the same?) suggestion more or less earlier, the scope display doesn’t really corresponds the more clear volume view of the meters. https://forum.renoise.com/t/the-volume-visualizations-of-the-track-scopes/43976