Support For Lv2 Plugins On Linux

is this true? :panic:
and how is the status of LV2 support by now?

cheers

I believe Loomer have plans for doing LV2 versions of their stuff, and pianoteq has an LV2 plugin too.

I am lacking the words to express how much I would appreciate LV2 support in Renoise for Linux.

but cant you use lv2rack? all midi and audio can be piped using jack.

cheers,
sure, workarounds are always an option … no problem with that.
but if i understand correctly, the purpose of this thread in this section of the forum is not about collecting suggestions how to make use of lv2 (despite), but actually collecting suggestions for new features in Renoise (?)

while, from a very strict and conservative point of view, many of the “feature enhancement” :rolleyes: suggestions tend to be somewhere between “rather” and “completely” redundant, or beyond the purpose and concept or scope of Renoise …
(not meaning to diss them however, just saying)
– supporting lv2 in linux, to me doesn’t file under “crazy features” but (extended) “basic ability”.

since it’s called “plug-in” and not “plug-around” :lol:

heck, for Mac you have both, VST and AU support as well …

[irony]
or why not get rid of VST support in the Windows version altogether and use external plug-in hosts and Jack or Rewire anyway …?!
would make the whole thing slimmer and easier to maintain, I guess
[/irony]
;) sometimes less is more

@dev’s:
maybe we should get allocated a “donate for lv2 button” …?
i understand working for linux is being a gentleman and not being a businessman … very often hardly affordable
but then again, by nature, Linux gets only as good as people happen to make it.

your right, fuck vsts, replace the plugin window with a dedicated redtube browser.

There are more and more LV2-Plugins coming out (zynaddsubfx is currently being ported to lv2 aswell) and it has become the defacto standard for audio plugins on linux.
Is there any chance renoise will support this?

There’s another thread about lv2 support in the renoise 3 beta sub-forum. Apparently it’s happening (not for renoise 3 though)

https://forum.renoise.com/t/lv2-support/39786

+1 This is one reason I am sticking with 2.81 for now.

Looking forward to the LV2 support!

+1 please please bitte bitte

+1 for LV2 support, also please don’t restrict the LV2 support to Linux. LV2 is able to be compiled for Windows and Mac like VST.

It’s really the one thing keeping me from buying Renoise.

I’d like to be optimistic about this but I don’t think it’s going to happen any time soon, look how long ago this thread was started. I don’t know why it is so hard to closed source programs to implement lv2 support. Such a shame.

If LV2 is not supported by Renoise, maybe it’s because LV2 did not please the devs. Having all the features ticked in a matrix does not imply that the interface is nice and convenient to use, then it is a matter of taste.

If LV2 is not supported by Renoise, maybe it’s because LV2 did not please the devs. Having all the features ticked in a matrix does not imply that the interface is nice and convenient to use, then it is a matter of taste.

Have you seen the API? It’s much more readable than Steinberg’s VST API, for both hosting and creating plugins.

Have you seen the API? It’s much more readable than Steinberg’s VST API, for both hosting and creating plugins.

That was my point :^)

Definitely Renoise spent energy supporting LADSPA and DSSI. And as I understand, they tried for LV2. Instead of saying “I don’t understand why don’t implement it, it is much better than X, Y, Z, …” maybe start asking the devs, “did you find something wrong with LV2?”; they already gave some elements. Then you might be able to move forward.

+1 for LV2 support

Cool shit is carla from kxstudio comes as vst plugin. As effect or instrument, rack or graph. Don’t know when it started, or whether it’ll save state correctly. Yes, you can load lv2 effects or instruments with it into renoise. I just tried superficially, probably you’ll have to go the (crappy resolution) midi way to automate stuff. External carla, choosing virtual in-/outputs with jack routing, sends, lineins and shit, you can even do multi input/output plugins or plugin graphs, like a sidechain compressor - but a mess to work with. No good workflow.

Yes, I can add that from Carla version 2.0, one can load carla-vst INSIDE Renoise Linux. Below is a screenshot of Calf Monosynth (LV2) running @ CarlaRack @ Renoise as a VST (look @ the top-right instrument: VST-CarlaRack)… and producing sound :blink:

To do this on Ubuntu 14.04, just add the KXStudio repo and “sudo apt-get install carla-git carla-vst” and you’re done.

Cool shit is carla from kxstudio comes as vst plugin. As effect or instrument, rack or graph. Don’t know when it started, or whether it’ll save state correctly. Yes, you can load lv2 effects or instruments with it into renoise. I just tried superficially, probably you’ll have to go the (crappy resolution) midi way to automate stuff. External carla, choosing virtual in-/outputs with jack routing, sends, lineins and shit, you can even do multi input/output plugins or plugin graphs, like a sidechain compressor - but a mess to work with. No good workflow.

LV2 plugins are a popular format for audio plugins on Linux, and there is generally good support for them in the Linux ecosystem.

To use LV2 plugins on Linux, you will first need to install a host application that can load and use them. Some popular host applications for LV2 plugins include Ardour, Carla, and Qtractor, among others.

Once you have a host application installed, you can typically install LV2 plugins through your Linux distribution’s package manager or by manually downloading and installing them. Many LV2 plugins are open source and can be found on GitHub or other code hosting platforms like SAP