Syncing To Cubase Sx

Actually this is a good question. Does anyone know how to do this? <_<

I just read on the Cubase manual that

“MIDI Clock is not suitable as a master sync source for an application like Cubase SX/SL. Therefore Cubase SX/SL will transmit MIDI Clock signals to other devices, but it will not receive MIDI Clock.”

As Renoise sends midi clock signal when being a master, that means that Cubase can’t be a slave because it doesn’t receive midi clock.

Am I right? Therefore Renoise as a master and cubase as a slave is not a possible thing.

Please correct me if I’m wrong. :(

Wow…I haven’t been back here in over a year :eek:

I got the email above from a member of this forum…

500 BPM!!!

:panic:

That makes gabba sound like Trip Hop…Anyway…I’m pretty sure Cubase is NOT the application to use for music at this high BPM especially with any kind of synching…

As some of the other forum members have found, Cubase has difficulty synching even at lower BPMs…Its MIDI code is no way as optimised as Renoise, plus it’s a much larger package which requires more computational resources which then increases its audio latency.

If you have both software using different BPMs then ofcourse they won’t be in synch…Maybe this is what you want…I’m not sure it is possible, but try unticking the Send MIDI Timecode box in Cubase.

Can anyone else help?

I tried this quickly, with Cubase SX2 as a master and it was all out of sync.
The tempo in Renoise was changing constantly, going up and down… unusable.

What could be the cause?

p.s. This is not an important feature to me anyway… I’d use some Rewire tho.

I’m the person who sent the email, oh well, it seems the import and export route is my only option. full marks though for figuring that stuff out anyway, i’m going to undo all the changes all two of them. later… :D java script:emoticon(’ :D')
smilie

Yeah I have the same problem. I have Yoke installed and am also using an external drum machine as well as all the VSTi and samples in Renoise. I loaded Cubase and followed the steps to sync the two together with Cubase as master. Pressed play on Cubase and it worked great! The Renoise track played and everything seemed dandy.

So then the next part… I then fed the drum machine into the audio input and it still worked fine. Then recorded the drum machine into track one in Cubase by simply pressing the record button which started Renoise and the output from the drum machine was recorded perfect.

Wanting to use Cubase to make a CD master I rendered the Renoise tracks into seperate audio files and imported them to each new track in Cubase. That’s when the problem started. The rendered audio was slightly faster and so the drum machine was a clear 2 beats out by the end of the track!

Desperatly need help with this one as I assumed it would work fine if i bought a copy of Renoise but could not test the rendering till purchase. I’m assuming Rewire support would fix this?

Help please!!!

There are known timing issues regarding syncing to other hosts.
These issues are worked on currently as well.

Anyone made this possible with Sony’s acid already?

What would be the equivalent to the Midi yoke for Mac?? I’d LOVE to sync cubase with renoise. :)

Hi guys, I’m trying to sync Cubase and Renoise together and although I’ve got it working the timing drifts pretty quickly out of sync.
I’ve noticed that the BPM in Renoise flickers up and down in BPM a little as the song plays so this is obviously the reason.

Any ideas on how I get the two tightly synced?

Thanks

Yes,

there`s always small incorrect timing using any sequncer as slave, so if I want to record from renoise finally I stop sync and record, that works best for me.

-IK-

I did exactly what you said but nevertheless when hitting “PLAY” in cubase it refuses to start (and of course Renoise doesn’t start either). If I turn off sync in Cubase then it can play again…

Any help? :unsure:

Thank you :)
Nino

Make sure you pressed the ext. sync button in Renoise (Left of BPM settings).

I tried so sync Renoise with Cubase LE. Same thing here. BPM in Renoise is going up and down. However, I have another question:

Is it possible to sync Renoise as master to a Wave recorder, so when I hit play in Renoise, It shall start recording?

Hi,

I’ve been testing a setup where Renoise is master clock (because it’s where I do most of the stuff and I start/stop it all the time), sending audio and midi to Ableton and outboard devices, and a couple other sends back and forth. I did it with OS X’s IAC and C74 Soundflower. Ableton mixes all the multitrack audio and Max can enter to tweak stuff at any point. Pretty light and very great! :)

It’s working very nicely, the BPM is stable and clock drift is pretty minimal. But I have to refine the delay on the clock again for every track / mix setup (this shouldn’t be plugin delay related I think)…

It’s definitely very usable, but the sync would probably be tighter with MIDI Timecode.

So, is Renoise going to support MTC?

Keep up the great work.

Thanks

Hey,

Anyone able to explain abit if they have encountered problems on syncing Cubase SX to Renoise?

I recall this worked at some stage on my setup, but now I’m not sure if that is just a false memory.

This would really help to edit some beats since Renoise does not follow the song position messages - but instead can send them so it would be practical to switch between the MASTER host at times…

If someone has really succeeded in Syncing Cubase to Renoise as Renoise being the MASTER then please post some specs if possible on how to achieve this… or if there are some known obstacles that need to be taken in to consideration when doing this?

(next is from the Cubase manual if it helps anyone)

[i]
MTC

• When synchronizing your system to external timecode, via a synchronizer, the
most common timecode format is MTC. Contrary to some reports you might
have heard, MTC delivers good precision for external sync. This is due to the
fact that the operating system can “time stamp” incoming MIDI messages,
which increases precision.
Format recommendations for timecode – with ASIO Positioning
Protocol
• LTC and VITC are the formats with the highest precision and are recommended
when available.
• MTC is the next best option and probably the most common choice, since few
audio hardware solutions have built in LTC or VITC readers. However, LTC
and VITC offer even higher precision when available.
CUBASE SX/SL
28 – 678 Synchronization

MIDI Clock

MIDI Clock is a tempo based type of synchronization signal, that is it is
related to the number of “beats per minute”. MIDI Clock signals are
suitable for synchronizing two devices that agree on tempo, such as
for example Cubase SX/SL and a drum machine.
MIDI Clock is not suitable as a master sync source for an application
like Cubase SX/SL. Therefore Cubase SX/SL will transmit MIDI Clock
signals to other devices, but it will not receive MIDI Clock.
[/i]

Trying not to hijack this thread but one quick question on this:

How when in SYNC does Cubase no where Renoise is in measures. For example, if you had only 1 4bar instance of RENOISE in your much larger Cubase project and should only play at the end of your track, how would it know.

Would you have to insert the same number of blank patterns along the timeline. I am I correct in this thinking?

Hi, Yeah the amount of patterns / bars should be the same on both songs so that the syncing can work.

Does anybody know how to do this with Renoise and Cakewalk Sonar, using Renoise as master?