Syncing To Cubase Sx

Hi,

I’ve been trying to sync Renoise to Cubase using MIDI clock.

I use the Hubi loopback cable as a virtual MIDI cable between Cubase and Renoise and Cubase is set to master, Renoise to slave.

Out of Cubase I am sending MIDI Clock and MIDI Timecode information and in Renoise I have set it to receive on the correct MIDI channel and device.

I see MIDI data leaving Cubase and I see MIDI data coming into Renoise by the flashing Red and Green lights, but I can’t get Renoise to start at the same time as Cubase, or either vice versa.

What am I doing wrong?

Is this even possible?

In theory it should be…Help please.

Thanks!

May I know what kind of connections did you do to make them work togheter??

thanx…

I haven’t actually done this yet but I think I’m getting closer.

If anyone can help…PLEASEEEEE.

Have you also enabled the “extern sync” button in Renoise ?

Ah…That might be what I’m missing…Where can I find this button?

Taktik, does Renoise respond to external Midi Machine Control (MMC) messages?

If not, can that be implemented in the next version please.

Thanks!

YES!

It works!

Ok here’s how.

1. Download MIDI Yoke which is a virtual MIDI cable application that allows two MIDI applications to communicate with each other.

Get it here:
http://www.midiox.com/index.htm?http://www…x.com/myoke.htm

1. Once installed and you have rebooted your machine, open Cubase SX.

2. On the menu choose, Transport, then Sync Setup

3. Set Sync options as follows

Timecode Source: (ignore this)
Machine Control: MIDI Machine Control
Options: (ignore this)

MIDI Machine Control Settings

Input: MIDI Yoke NT 2 [Emulated]
Output: MIDI Yoke NT 1 [Emulated]

(I use seperate channels to avoid bottlenecks).

Send MIDI Timecode

(ignore this)

Send MIDI Clock

Set this to MIDI Yoke NT 1 [Emulated]

1. Now load up Renoise

2. Go to the Pattern Editor and turn on MIDI Slave

3. Click on Configs

4. Click on MIDI

5. MIDIClock Slave Settings

Set In Device to MIDI Yoke NT: 1

That’s it…Now Cubase will control Renoise so they will start and stop simultaneously and Renoise will use the same BPM as Cubase!

Woo hoo! :yeah:

Hey…My first ever post got moved and became a sticky :o

:drummer: :yeah: :guitar:

this is a first step to become a ReNoise Mothafukka Guru B)

B)
schhhhweet

Now it’s time to understand how to make Reason work as MIDI slave in Renoise (I can use it inside Cubase, Nuendo etc… But have many troubles with Renoise), I don’t know what I’m missing… I think I’m so close but… Damn!!

ummmm…ReWire?

Yes, rewire… But I have troubles with MIDI yoke connection… Still working on it… ;)

I don’t know how to link to a topic, but it should be possible here is a quote from an old topic.

"Maybe you already tried this… but im writing it anyway.

I allways loved tracking since i got my hands on protracker 1.1b in the early 90’s. For the last few years i used propellerhead reason because i just luuved the machines.

And now i found a way to combine the two great things. I installed a midi loopback (midi yoke). Then i used Renoise midistyle

Sequence in Renoise. Sounds and effects in Reason.

My dream have comed true. Thank you, Renoise!

PS. Both files will have .rns-ending on my hd… doh"

Right click on the link to the thread, click “copy shortcut” + paste in your post, voila! :)

I remember that topic very well… He’s happy but he doesn’t explain how to do it…

Here is the topic… Tell me if you understand how they work toghter…

Does anybody know how to make Cubase SX act as SLAVE and Renoise as MASTER ? This would be more useful - playing long WAVs in Cubase (vocals and some guitars) while composing other parts in Renoise

I know how to slave Reason to Renoise:

1. Install MIDIYoke (or equivalent) if you haven’t already.
  2. Load Reason, open preferences -> Advanced MIDI and select MIDI Yoke NT 1 for Remote Control and MIDI Clock Sync.
  3. Load Renoise, and set it to use Directsound rather than ASIO if it isn’t already (Configs -> Audio -> Device Type). Click on Configs -> MIDI and select MIDI Yoke NT 1 from the MIDI Clock Master Settings drop down.
  4. Back in Reason, click on the Enable button under MIDI Sync in the transport control tray.
  5. Mess with the Offset slider in Renoise (again under Configs -> MIDI, perhaps with drums playing in both apps as a guide) to finetune the timing, if needed.

just to make it complete - if you want to use the HLD instead - try the following guide:

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/so…tsynthseq/2.asp

Thnx rounser :lol:
Finally someone with a good Renoise-Reason explaination. weeee… works cool =)

adds a dualhead-graphicard and a second monitor on his shoppinglist