Tales from Kojiki [psychedelic trance] - work in progress

Hi Renoise users, :slight_smile:

I’ve started a psychedelic trance track, inspired by ancient tales of Japan.

I’m used to composed ambient/new-age but I’m loving trance to, I’ve spend some time to make these few minutes… but this work is in progress.

Hope you’ll like, and I’m open to any comment or suggestions!

Tales from Kojiki [psychedelic trance] - work in progress

http://www.soundcloud.com/ftmusique/kojiki

https://soundcloud.com/ftmusique/kojiki

Nice intro and tune progression!

Maybe add some more funky beats? Maybe it’s just me, but I find trance beats are sometimes

a bit to plain :wink:

Hi Akit, thanks for listening!

Your suggestion seems to be good, making a break in the tune with sone drum’n’bass beats can be a good transition too, I’ll try!

Dude, killer track. I totally thought I was listening to some 1200 micrograms or Infected Mushroom. I think you got a real great psytrance sound dude! I think you should just stick to the psytrance and not taint it with D&B or breaks. It got a lot of melody already and you might just overwhelm your listener. If anything I think you should just repeat a lot of the same stuff a bit more, because its a bit short.

I don’t wanna start tossing links your way, but you should check out Planum. He’s got a lot of melody like you do and fusses other genres into psy, without actually leaving the genre. I’m not saying you should sound more like him. I just think you’d actually enjoy his music!

I’ll share my two favs with you.

https://planum.bandcamp.com/track/musical-fluctuation

https://sundancerecords.bandcamp.com/track/loneliness

Maybe you could just add a lot more tripped out sounds panning from left/right? The thing with psytrance is the listener wants to just let the music sink in while he’s tripping. Once you got a good riff just ride it out, making slow changes over time. When your having a good trip, the last thing you want is the song to change too much. Your in the zone and you have patience you can soak in a bassline for 64 measures without getting bored. In Musical Fluctuation you’ll here him pile on a ton of sounds one by one, then abruptly take them all away, then he brings them back later. At the end of the track you have the whole entire song playing all at once it seems. If you listen at 5:20, he’s got some crazy filters going on. That would blow my mind when I’d be shrooming. He’s got a lot of legit drum rolls you don’t hear in electro, but that comes from his metal background and his Russian attitude of not giving a fuck.The second track has some awesome guitar riffage. It’s real different and I think its just a closer to the album.

Just remember the person is typically on psychedelics when he decides to listen to some psytrance and you wanna give him a journey without too many twists and turns.

If you just focus on adding those bells and whistles and making the track longer you’ll have an AMAZING psytrance song! I’d take your style of John 00 Fleming any day.

I get excited about psytrance and the fact that your making it in renoise is awesome!

PS, it sounds like you already know this, but delay is your best friend!

If you hit the 8 minute mark. I will gladly listen to the whole thing next time I take some lucy!

It´s really quite cool, although its getting a bit too cheezy for me when the supersaw turns in, but thats just a matter of personal taste. :wink:

@SynthisterNation : Thanks for your feedback and example links! I see you like good psytrance soul to! :slight_smile:

You said right, I think my sound is quite not bad, and now I have to work on the song and parts development. This is one of the keys. Psychedelic trance is a kind of inner travel, and the difficult is to make the song between not too much repetitive and not too much evolutive.

For the lenght I’m working on, of course, the track will be between minimum 6 or 8 minutes.

Then, I’m returning to Renoise for working! :slight_smile:

I kinda disagree about the “expect your listener to be tripping” advice. Nothing wrong with tripping, but if I count the times I listen goa/psy when sober versus being under the influence of something psychedelic, it’s at least 100:1. Then again, if it gives you a certain structure or feel to aim for, and that’s helpful, by all means go for it.

It’s just personally, in my opinion, I listen to that kind of music not so much as something to listen to while tripping, but rather more as something to capture that feeling, something that can remind myself when sober, “yes the one that made this, they got it, they were there and they put that feeling into music”.

Not quite psytrance, but I feel the artist that captured this feeling best is Shpongle on the aptly named album Tales of the Inexpressible (in particular My head feels like a frisbee–perfect musical depiction of a shroom trip).

As for feedback on the actual track: there’s something of a very low bass frequency throb in your track, that is bothering my (currently not entirely sober) head. Otherwise, very pleasant and impressive!

I kinda disagree about the “expect your listener to be tripping” advice. Nothing wrong with tripping, but if I count the times I listen goa/psy when sober versus being under the influence of something psychedelic, it’s at least 100:1. Then again, if it gives you a certain structure or feel to aim for, and that’s helpful, by all means go for it.

It’s just personally, in my opinion, I listen to that kind of music not so much as something to listen to while tripping, but rather more as something to capture that feeling, something that can remind myself when sober, “yes the one that made this, they got it, they were there and they put that feeling into music”.

Not quite psytrance, but I feel the artist that captured this feeling best is Shpongle on the aptly named album Tales of the Inexpressible (in particular My head feels like a frisbee–perfect musical depiction of a shroom trip).

As for feedback on the actual track: there’s something of a very low bass frequency throb in your track, that is bothering my (currently not entirely sober) head. Otherwise, very pleasant and impressive!

Well, even if your not tripping your trying to capture that vibe. You’re right though, 99% of the time your not going to be tripping, but man is psytrance perfect when you are!

Hi!

I’ve finished my track! Here it is:

Tales from Kojiki [psychedelic trance]

http://soundcloud.com/ftmusique/tales-from-kojiki-psychedelic-trance