teenage engineering op-1

Ok I am gonna get one in a few days , despite the fact that the onboard synthesis engines are quite limited ;and i love to dlve deep into synthesis ( reaktor /nord modular) …i am goin for it …
It will do me good to get away from the computer for a while …and summers coming

who has one …chime in …

I would love one but they’re so damn expensive (imho) :(

I just ordered one from 'bax shop ’ 'netherlands )
Expensive…hmm 800 is not cheap …but it oozes quality…I rather pay a few euros more for quality boutique stuff , then pastic korg stuff that dies after a year of use …

Verry excited …probaly be here in a few days
will let you all know after I got the hang of it

It is a very sexy synth.

Also, effing cow filter!

The cow is a frequency shifter ./…
Anyway …I have never been so divided about an instrument as the op-1.
Thing is this …it’s a a god damn funky nice device , sturdily build and lots of fun …
But , a big but …the quality of the synth algoritms is shit …really …compared to my modular and reaktor …this thing sucks …well not that hard …
I mean , you can get nice results out of it , but there is always this high buzzy je ne sais quoi , also the control rate of the lfo …is low .;I don’t mean the lfo speed , but the internal rate at which they update …
The dr wave synth , sounds horrible in the lower octaves…;again …;a digital overtone slips in …;almost notticeable in all synth algoritms …
Control rate issue …;fm synth set to pure sine …modulate the sustain phase of the adsr with a value lfo …zipper noise slips in …conclusion : …low update rate of the lfo

build quality …nice and sturdy …reliable …hm…
Sometimes keys send double triggers , other people on the forum report the same thing …response of one of the guys was …that we need to learn to play the op-1 keys …lol.;

So …;I am bringing this nice looking polished turd back to the shop …teenage engineering can contact me when they have updated their algoritms…

On a ide note …keys can take up to a million keypresses …stupid marketing …
I am geting a monomachine …

I think if you have the cash to spend, its a cool device that can make tune making fun. I have been blown away by the sheer number of things you can do on it…fm radio?!

Check out the teenage engineering soundcloud, they have lots of sample pack things you can download for free.

Hardware till I die

I have to say I have kind of a love / not-quite-hate relationship as well.

On one hand the restrictions can be inspiring. On the other hand, I constantly worry when something is going to die and I’ll have to go through the months-long-process of shipping it to switzerland and getting it back for repairs. Also there are a few spots where I wish it just had a little bit more functionality (for example drop+mix) to push the workflow to the next level.

If you’re curious - this is one track I made with it. It’s a bit different from the typical loop/electro/hiphop op1… more of an acoustic-electric-indie song. The ability to deal with long audio tracks and use it as a multitrack differentiates it from your typical groovebox sequencer setup:

https://soundcloud.com/rvxi/the-loop-free-download

~r

I love the tape …function …
I dislike all the digiatal nastyness that does not suppose to be there …
Once again …I thought this lil device would be so much more …

arrgh …

I love the tape …function …
I dislike all the digiatal nastyness that does not suppose to be there …
Once again …I thought this lil device would be so much more …

arrgh …

does anything make you happy? :P

1 Like

that’s a verry difficult question jenoki …
I am severely depressed since the big bang , I never thought it would be like this
Yesterday the doctor told me I have still one day to live , So i am verry happy now to see renoise going gold …before I die …

Oo yeah , attention from female species makes me happy and the occasional ‘donkey gang bang’

[u]

[/u]

should have read this before buying mine… monomachine is way more smooth.