Terminal & editor suggestions

I have two minor convenience/ergonomic suggestions for the built-in scripting terminal & editor.

1. Tool custom dialogs not stealing focus from the editor. Now I need to re-click on the editor window to continue scripting whenever I edit/save a tool that opens a window. It breaks the “close to live coding” experience :slight_smile:

2. Horizontal split layout to place the terminal/console below the editor would be very nice. Sure, it’s easy to switch between them with ctrl-e/ctrl-t, but having the console always visible would look and feel very sleek for us print debuggers. (I’ve put my second monitor in portrait mode for the sake of the editor, so there is plenty of room!)

1 Like

Hello Joule, how are you?

With your permission I add to this thread the only thing I would like:

1. Individual zoom capability for text, with access from the editor.

I don’t need another editor, I program everything here. It particularly bothers me that if I want to change the text size, it has to change the entire Renoise GUI size, when I honestly think it should be independent. With today’s monitor resolutions, this is necessary!

2 Likes

Yeah, split window would be super nice.

My request, and maybe this is already possible and I just don’t know it, but would be for the editor to detect changes to the file on disk and reload it.

Right now I edit in gvim and paste into the editor. I know that if I change text in the editor and save it, the disk file changes, but Renoise does not handle when an external editor changes this file.

Add _AUTO_RELOAD_DEBUG = true at the top of your main.lua script; boom!.

This is soooooo needed!

I would add support for Ctrl+Backspace to delete whole words. The workaround of Shift+Ctrl+left_arrow then Delete works, but, IDK, Ctrl+Backspace is standard at this point.

1 Like

He’s talking about an outside editor.

1 Like

Ah, I misunderstood actually. Ignore me :slight_smile:

Ah, the traditional ctrl+/ctrl- shortcuts.

Taktik was talking about possibly doing some addition to the editor in another thread, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to provoke with feature requests (that are not obviously too complex). Maybe there’s some good idea that wouldn’t take too long.

1 Like

This is why support for external editors would be fantastic. People could use whatever editor offers the tools and shortcuts they prefer.