The Bitwig thread

In on windows, the latest update mentionned fixing windows issues, I guess this is still ongoing. Right now I’m on a project with 1 vital instance and a few TDR plugins, all the rest is internal. Opening project : crash, play button: crash. Stop / play again : crash.
Now it seems to have “calmed down” since 5-10min.

That is not what I experience on windows. I did a whole track on Reaper a few days ago, 0 crashes. On renoise I got 1-2 crashes during my last track. BTW on bitwig i like that only the sound engine crashes, on renoise I lost what I did since saving…

I think that they are currently working on the macos ARM port, so for me on windows it’s “lost time”. I also think that there have not been cool new features since long… I guess corona also played a role in slowing down the team. But still faster than renoise development of course :smiley:

Hm, yeah I guess you are right… That’s frustrating for me as a intel macos user, too. Can’t see any use of the new devices for me due poor connectivity/driver, no afforadable workstation etc… Kinda unfair, meh. Why doesn’t Apple pay here? Okok, I was hoping for some workflow improvements aka Renoise or other DAWs, some proper keyboard driven step sequencing, MSEG and so on. Lot of detail features missing, for me.

That will never happen I think, this is tracker territory… I listened to this podcast : DAWbench Radio Show: Episode 10 : DAW Evolution III : Bitwig Studio - Past , Present , Future !
They seem to be more interested in sound design / modularity / etc

Yup MESG would be great… right now there are a lot of modulators but i mostly only use LFO or “random”. But I still think that bitwig is so huge and there is so much to discover for me still, with the current feature set. There are so many possibilities and tricks to discover… I have bitwig since 2018 and it still surprises me.

1 Like

I don’t really understand, what driver ? I have a windows gaming laptop that I bought for 800€ in 2014 and it’s still OK for bitwig. Just need to bounce stuff often, which is not bad, forces you to commit to things and stop fiddling 2 more hours on that EQ…

I mean no audio drivers for the new mac devices. Tons of audio hardware won’t work anymore, vendors will deprecate a lot of it, because they won’t rewrite their drivers for new cpus. This happens all the time with macos and is extremely frustrating. So I’ve already worn out like 4 firewire devices, because of macos updates.

What I need the most is a sampler with integrated slicing. this would make is SO MUCH easier to slice drums (right now it’s hard to edit the “slice points” once you did “slice to drum machine”). It would be also super awesome to “test” rythmically sampling melodic samples. In renoise i just set 3 slice points and can already try out playing with the keyboard if this would work or not.

1 Like

wow ok… I won’t say what I think about macs :smiley: anyway I always looked at the specs and did a cpu power / cash ratio based purchase, so I never got a mac.

2 Likes

What I am totally missing (in most pianoroll style DAWs, but especially in Bitwig) is this visual focus on the notes, multiple tracks in parallel. That’s what I love so much about Renoise. The view is plain, you can exactly see the rhythmical note structure, and harmonies side-by-side. A pianoroll is nothing in comparison. Though it is much more comfortable in many things, the pianoroll in Bitwig totally lacks of this “zoomed-out harmonical focus”. Hard to downgrade here for me… And in Renoise, you mostly work with the keyboard, that is not possible really in Bitwig’s pianoroll. Of course you work much faster with the keyboard than with a mouseclick-orgy.

Also I wished I could use all my drum samples directly in the sequencer view (and shape it here precisely). Currently that is not possible, since there is no oldschool resample/pitch player mode for the plain samples, only raw or timestretching. I would love to have sample clips, with a sampler player mode, and then automation curves per instance, not per track, so i could even make instance clones of this. I think Logic has that. I find Bitwig too basic here. If the sampler’s clip was properly visualized straight in teh sequencer view, and you even could shape it directly there, it would be a solution for me.

Also the sequencer view somehow lacks of details: You can’t see a lot of the waveform at all, it is not very helpful, and you can’t zoom in only a bunch of tracks at all or simply by clicking it. Also here I miss this zoomed-in focus style. It looks all very eyecandy, yet it is not really optimal in UX, too small, too little details or too cluttered, too. And the sequencer view does not show anything useful regarding the notes.

In Renoise, you can very quickly scaffold a song’s harmonical/melodic structure, while in Bitwig’s painroll, you have the total focus of very small details, but it takes eons to complete your actual songs’s note data. No, removing notelength and velocity (a drum view) is not a proper solution. So in Bitwig, you tend to make very nice details in each tracks, yet the tracks do not play nicely together, rhytmically and harmonically. The macro view for notes and rhythm is missing. Of course this is possible, but way harder to achieve than in Renoise.

Also I prefer vertical scrolling, can’t really tell why exactly that is (an emotional thing). I think my eyes don’t like horizontal scrolling so much, it also is “biased”, while vertical scrolling is neutral. Maybe the right-to-left scrolling triggers the wrong half of my brain, since I am left-handed :laughing:

Any opinions here?

I tried Bitwig (as well as Ableton, Reason, Cubase) and it proved to me that my desire to use a piano roll was actually unfounded as it relys on vieweing separate clips with little to no reference of other tracks. I know/think Bitwig can overlay piano rolls but it looks awful. I am also fully with you in so far as vertical sequencing is superior to horizontal, it’s easier on the eyes/neck as you need to move side to side much less. Renoise showing the notes as, for example, C#3 rather than a horizontal line with no immediate octave reference is much easier to deal with.

I wonder however if it is possible to set project key in Renoise, so that the first F minor triad displays as F, Ab, C as opposed to F, G#, C for example - as that can confuse my slightly when looking at it from time to time but that’s wholly down to my own inexperience with music theory.

1 Like

No, that’s not possible, but would be a nice addition to Renoise for the real composers.

1 Like

I think it’s a great feature and I use it all the time. Makes it a no brainer to match all the notes of your tracks, for example write basslines and see chords in the background.

I also use it when I program drums in midi, to do multi-track midi drum programming (all the drums are often not in the same track)

1 Like

i think you are wrong here, you can use the ‘traditional’ pitching, just you have to put markers in the audio clip, in order to be able to stretch it by segments, or as a whole by is it alt + click drag on the edge? (i do not use this method at all)

This is a stretching mode and sucks for keeping transients intact as they are in the sample. It will always smear the sound. I mean a traditional sampler mode, as renoise sampler.

no, as you can see in the first screenshot it’s ‘repitch’ mode, not stretching, so it keeps the transients just repitches them…
unstretched > repitchedrepitch4

yes you actually have much more choice than with renoise. you can also do old school akai sampler like effects by using “cyclic” and modify the pitch of the clip without resizing it.

1 Like

It’s tied to the track tempo. I want a sample sampled at c-4 e.g. played at c-4. Just like the sampler device.

1 Like

I see what you mean, I think in this case you need to use the sampler (but you can bounce in place later and re-use this clip)

1 Like

Hm, besides that, the gain shaping on the sample is just so awesome! Sample precise, like it should be :slight_smile: Now effects on the sample, pre-rendered, destructive would be cool.

1 Like

Can I swap the sample, but keeping my gain curve intact?

Now sample tracks and pianorolls next to each other. And the world is ok again.

yes gain1

1 Like