The Bitwig thread

best way for this is add some effects to the track and then bounce. I’m bouncing a lot with bitwig, especially everything which contain any reverb or delay effect, you can then precisely shape the tails once it’s all audio

1 Like

I would like to have something like this, of course both on the same zoom/grid (cheap photo montage):
Unbenannt-1

And then even multiple pianorolls, if I want to. IMO already way better than anything layered/cluttered.

1 Like

well, it’s a ‘tape style’, when you change the playback speed, the pitch changes accordingly… then you could use stretching which preservers transients (the least anomalies) while retaining the pitch.

…Which makes no real sense for one shot or even harmonical samples, only for loops.

for me - it makes a lot of sense for one shots, as i tend to layer drums a lot… and when i do lay out an idea, i do not change tempo often, i would change it after i’m done with idea and everything is in same ‘scale’, so when i change tempo, it would also pitch itself by the same amount, so there is no issue… or just use sampler for that matter… it really depends on your workflow…
For layering loops - which i layer with one shots as well, i would use stretching modes and mess with parameters, since i do not extract transients, but ambience and ‘room type of effect’. I use one shots for that… i even sidechain layered breaks to the one shots…

well, depends on the material, maybe the ‘harmonical material’ is not full of transients, and/or another stretching algo can make it work even better with less trouble

I also want to draw a pitch curve onto the (drum-)sample. That’s where the fun starts. This is impossible in Bitwig’s sample clips, and sounds horrible with all the stretching algos. The raw mode does not allow to pitch at all, the repitch mode does not support pitch curves. Also again, I do not need repitching by tempo for single shots and harmonic samples. Makes no sense at all. I need to pitch it, if I transpose the whole song or section, not if I change the tempo…

The bitwig way would be to use the sampler and use an adsr modulator on the pitch i think

Then I have zero information anymore in the sequencer view and those side-by-side views, which was the topic. I can then also use any sampler vst.

Did this in bitwig. I used audio for the breaks this time, no midi. I think the drawback of this method is that :

• it gets messy fast
  • hard to visualize the groove
  • cannot jam the break on the keyboard
    What’s cool about this method is the level of control and the editing with the fades. I’ll go back to midi for the next track I think.

Capture

2 Likes

So there now is Bitwig 4.0 beta… What do you think about it?

My opinion: I like that the GUI is more compact now, but I have to update to Mojave now hehe (a bit late, but I changed my habit to n.c.a.r.s.). Audio comping is very cool, sadly no midi comping (that’s what I do 99% of the time). But maybe I should try to record hardware synths then a bit. All those even-more-detail note stuff is nothing for me, but it looks nicely made. The audio export still lacks of base comfort features like path variable or auto range etc. Also no M4A, I guess due crossplatform problems? Encoding m4a on macos is very easy. I won’t write feature requests anymore, since they have completely different priorities than me, it seems. That’s ok, I have to live with it or sell it.

Btw. I tried Ableton 11 a bit, and midi recording just is awesome there. I think it also uses some intelligent algorithm to fix timing issues. In 99,9% it records exactly what I wanted, also extremely precisely. Bitwig often looses the first note, overwriting is a pain (and then undo), etc. I guess they will never fix those issues. I also think that renoise’s latency calculation while midi recording is buggy: if you enable recording compensation, it records too late, if you disable it, it comes too early (or was it vice versa?). I think Ableton 11 should be the reference for midi recording…

Here is the changelog:
https://downloads-eu.bitwig.com/beta/4.0/Release-Notes-4.0-Beta-1.html

P.S.: Still no MSEG!!

1 Like

Puh. That hit fast. Im still on 3.3.7. Probably that`s why they always wanted me to renew my upgrade plan.

2 Likes

i thought i’m the worst (by still being on mojave…) planning to upgrade for months already :stuck_out_tongue:

maybe this will come during beta/early period of v4, who knows, but i agree midi comping would be great feature e as well!

i totally feel you on this one, i feel exactly the same… i also miss ‘retro’ record in bitwig (found in ableton)
although i did not encounter issue with ‘missing first note’ or similar…
i think i will wait until v4 is released so i can activate my new license :slight_smile:

1 Like

Im on Mojave!

2 Likes

I’m a bit sad that they didn’t add slicing in the sampler and added nerd features instead but this was predictable… the note operator thing can be cool too, a lot of new possibilities.

2 Likes

I have the feeling that the devs are blind for the obvious stuff… GUI, base comfort features, etc.

2 Likes

i think that they are aware, but that they want to introduce ‘revolutionary’ features… i mean, they responded very quickly to ableton comping… the grid… modulation…

comping was super obvious and they finally did it. Being able to record audio instruments / voice without it being a pain in the ass is a great move in basic daw usage workflow…

1 Like

how come it was super obvious? by the forum spam/requests for comping - just because ableton brought this up?

i think that comping was least necessary for a daw like bitwig at this point… i mean the grid… modulations… it’s not pointing toward ‘traditional daw’ and stuff, but it’s a great feature…

Well good that bitwig has all those modulation/advanced features but a lot of users want to use a daw to record songs and if they can’t do that, then they’ll switch to another daw.

Not all users are daw enthousiasts who switch between daws etc. So not having comping was already blocking a lot of users who want to do more traditional recording (and why not try the more advanced modulation stuff).

That’s why I think it’s important to have those “must have” features.

there is plethora of DAWs which have the same set of features… including comping… Bitwig is not a DAW if your intention is to record a multi-track session of 15 or more microphones…

Bitwig is not traditional daw in that sense…

well, all DAWs would have the same features, and not a single DAW would stand out in something innovative in that sense…