The Clean Up - Drumfunk WIP...

Afternoon All,

After a long time of being away from Music Production, sorting out health problems and getting back to basics, I’m now back in the realm of working purely with Renoise and loving it. Previously I was re-wiring alongside the other 3 R’s (Reaper, Reaktor and Reason) - and getting nowhere.

Giving myself some focus, and wanting to start pushing my drums to the ‘next’ level (by my standards) I’m hitting the drumfunk hard, and delving into a lot of Jazz for inspiration. This first track ‘The Clean Up’ draws on an early / dark Drumfunk vibe - think Fanu / Macc - just drums, edits, atmosphere and most importantly for me - having fun.

Hope you enjoy - be good to hear your comments.

-The Good Dr

[media]https://soundcloud.com/the-good-dr/the-clean-up-drumfunk-wip[/media]

Nice atmosphere, lots of transients and energy in the drums. Like it a lot.

Thanks Hexen, that’s great to hear - I end up being my own worst critic and binning a lot of stuff, but the way this one is turning out - it’s a keeper.

This is great stuff! Reminds me a lot of Paradox (also a tracker guy) - dark atmos + suspense piano + funky break. I like it very much. Always wanted to make something in that direction.

Cheers idem, big honour to sound like Paradox, Dev’s mighty Amiga magic and big breaks sound is something I aspire to.

Superb, agree with poster above, atmosphere is there (which imo is a very important part of any track, not enough people manage it)

• Love the build up and the break, great groove and snappy drums.

And I understand how it is to be your own worst critic, i get perfectionisty over everything, but i guess it’s better to release one thing great than 1000 things rubbish!
Look forward to hearing more :slight_smile:

Superb, agree with poster above, atmosphere is there (which imo is a very important part of any track, not enough people manage it)

• Love the build up and the break, great groove and snappy drums.

And I understand how it is to be your own worst critic, i get perfectionisty over everything, but i guess it’s better to release one thing great than 1000 things rubbish!
Look forward to hearing more :slight_smile:

-That’s the thinking with this one, concentrate and complete a tune I am happy with, and have enjoyed making. I dread to think how many ideas got cast off in favour of some new 8 bars that sounded like the way forward. I find I need a ‘theme’ or even set of samples to ring-fence my track, nail it down - and get working.

Glad you like the atmosphere, that’s something I wanted to convey and build on - more coming up in the ‘drop’ later…