The King Of Piracy Has Died

The matters are still confusing. But here is some scoop:

http://www.arcticstartup.com/2009/06/30/th…worry-be-happy/

Meh… There are better trackers than TPB.

like… Renoise?

It’s not about the the tracker itself but rather the symbolism of TPB. It has become a symbol of the filesharing and even the net freedom alltogether.

I see it more an exit or solution than a problem, the trial was getting things dirty. I think it will be bought, the company will eat the shit, it will be a failure and another TPB will arise.

Ahh well, 1 site goes down… 1 month later 3 new sites will arise if you know what i mean. :unsure:
I remember this from supernova when that became mininova etc.

Only way to stop this is a complete global internet ban on piracy sites so mirrors will not work anymore (punishment by death or lifetime sentence on whole globe haha that will stop piracy). but i don’t think that will happen soon… underground scene is hard to kill i guess.

Digital evolution :rolleyes:

What makes you think that’s going to stop piracy? :D First of all, we would need some sort of global dictatorship to get this thing going, and we have seen dictatorships and such kind of regimes before – think of Soviet Union for example. (Interestingly enough there was no such concept as piracy in soviet union, nor was there any real copyright protection, but nobody cared.) Also, the Soviet Union failed to control most of the stuff that was forbidden anyway.

It has been stated before, only way to stop piracy is for content providers to release all their stuff for free. :)

Agree.

They could start with reducing copyright to about 5 - 10 years instead of a ridiculous 70 years for some products.

Even my old Commodore Amiga 500 games are still copyrighted lol.

Totally ironic story from estonia.

We have the estonian flag on top of “Tower of Long Hermann”, which part of the estonian parliament complex. The flag itself can be considered THE Estonian flag. It’s ceremonially raised together with some music every morning and lowered the same way - with music - in the evening.

They use Estonian Anthem for raising ceremony and play some other song to lower it. Then they though, why not to use song Mu Isamaa On Minu Arm, which probably is the best known patriotic song in Estonia after the national anthem…

Well, all went good and they decided to change the lowering ceremony on this friday… Until the estonian copyrights organization stepped in saying: “The song is copyrighted, and because the author hasn’t been dead for 70 years yet, cough up, or forget about it”.

The song is written 65 years ago (1944), the author has been dead 16 years (1993). The song is very well known patriotic song and many of Estonians can sing it from their head… And, guess what, when they do, they are evil pirates and should be put to jail. :P

That would only dammage new acts… radio stations would stop playing new music 'cause the old stuff would be cheaper.

What we need is an open discussion between artists and fans about the value of music. Most of the people I know have over $5,000 worth of music in their collections… and I guarantee very few of them have payed for most of it. $1 a song isn’t an acceptable amount of money. You have to think about the time spent to make these tracks… and the number of people listening to them. If a track takes an artist 35 hours of straight work, a standard week’s worth of work, at $20/h that’s about $700 the artist should make on the track… that’s a liveable salary. If the artist sells an album of 15 tracks… it may take him 3.5 months to produce… and he should expect $10,500 in return for his work.

It will take only 525 album sales to make this back at the current $20 per album rate. With the standard system, this is about what the average indy musician can make off album sales alone, presuming they have a large enough audience to pull it off… and presuming they don’t have a record label leeching their revenue.

Here’s where the problem comes in…

In 2008, Timbaland produced 46 tracks that were released… So far, Flo Rida’s album, which contained one timba track, has sold 390,000 copies. At $20 a copy, that comes to $7,800,000 … now lets presume, looking at Timba’s production schedule, that he produces 4 tracks a month… lets make things simple and presume that the track Timbaland produced was just between him and Flo Rida. Lets also forget that the track was a single, and was probably making more revenue than the album itself.

This means that Timbaland could have pulled in $250,000 just for that one track… one week’s work.

So Timbaland, pulling in a quarter of a million a week… and the indy musician pulling in a fifth of that for an entire year’s work.

Now… I have to ask you: Is the timbaland track that he took a week to produce worth that much? Is the amazing album Hunz just produced worth so little?

The problem isn’t entirely copyright… the problem is that the market realizes that Timbaland doesn’t deserve to live like a king. The fact that we have this amazing method of distributing music… that just so happens to currently do it most for illegally copied music… isn’t a threat… it’s an opportunity.

Artists need to start talking to their fans.

We need to start doing the math.

As for the pirate bay, good riddance. As I stated earlier, there are much better trackers out there that provide much higher quality and consistency.

I’ve been trying to figure out what this is all about:
http://thevideobay.org/
I guess it’s suppose to succeed YT and stage6(RIP).
While using html5

TPB - nice addition to find even rare torrents.

TVB - ImHO video streaming from servers is bullshit. P2P-Video is the place to be. Joost was on the right way, far ahead of all contestants but as usual the media-companies refused to deliver highQ-content and as Joost did not have the option to setup your own p2p-streaming-station, it failed.

Video on server just sucks.

You guys seen this news about TPB yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8128551.stm

That business model is going to be epic fail. Even if they get a handful of deals with some hollywood studios it’s going to distribute some DRM ridden crap with US only tag on it for a year and then go into bankrupcy.

Even if the idea is good it’s going to fail one way or other.

DRM is unneccesary per se, it’s only limiting user-to-user copying and excercising user fair-use rights. It doesn’t have any effect on the mass sharing in piracy networks. That doesn’t stop the studios demanding of the DRM to be included. Also, the networks which sell advertising or expect users to provide something for the stuff, like storage and cpu power as described are interested in their files not being available outside the network aswell.

Yes, bump & dump is very possible, as the business model doesn’t really sound sustainable. As said, studios expect quite a bit of money per song per download which is usually around $1 - $5 on album tracks and up to even $20 on single tracks. Also they want to set the prices per region and stop distribution to some countries altogether. Looking at the piratebay stats, some more popular songs get downloaded so much that in few days the GGF would have several billions of debt to RIAA. There is no way that the ISP’s will pay them that much. :P

the part where they stated: “The company is also looking at harnessing the storage capacity and processing power of the file-sharing community, creating a powerful grid of P2P-linked computers.”

Could be a bit more than may be expected.
like instead of how google uses their own servers. a percentage of users computing power across the entire planet would be GGF’s farm.

the percentage required by GGF being based on allocated space and cycles and bandwidth would more than likely be owned by them through legalese, which would increase their net worth. making them very formiddable in the long scope. If they do it right they could have say on what they will give media outlets.

The caps would really be in the users realm, giving them incentive to upgrade system cycles bandwidth and space.

R.I.P.

F torrents anyway, I’ve set up a megaupload account and am downloading @ around 2 mb per second. Those share/uploading sites also have policy where you get points for how many people dl your uploads. If you collect a lot of points you get money in return.

Although you are not alowed to upload copyrighted material officially, there is hardly any control over it… all a scheme from the site owners to get more people interested in setting up a paid account. Laws produce hypocrisy on all levels.