The New Pattern Sequencer Design.

I use solely the mattrix view for arranging, thus I like the additional numbers on the left, and would be happy to be able to hide the pattern number :)

I was one of those whose fists were on the side of totally flat sequencer (no aliases or repeating patterns whatsoever). I would love an option to hide pattern numbers and disable any possible aliasing altogether with the same option.

I’m on your side

i’m with Suva. i never use duplicate patterns or whatnot. i might try out some of these alias-things or something in the future but i think i’ll stick with copy-paste. i don’t like repetition :)

The whole flat sequencer thing is something I’d really very much like to see discussed further. But IMO the the discussion should take place after the beta dust has settled. Right now it would only generate unwanted noise. The current solution seems to be, as mentioned earlier, a thought-over (fought-over, maybe… ;)) compromise between the two opposites. Which is only appropriate, I think.

In short: personally I’m not that fond of the idea, but it just might be me curling up into a cozy comfort zone…

@kmaki: agree with you that this discussion should be separated from the 2.8 beta. there has obviously been a lot of discussion about it with the Alpha-team already, and certain behavior has also changed back and forth between 2.7 and 2.8. in the end we might have to go for something in the settings or something.

I was probably the strongest opponent to the theory of fully-flat sequencer (no repetitions allowed) during alpha stage, but also suggested to automatically remove the ordinal column when the list is fully ordered, which indeed looks like wasted space to me in that scenario

…and it gives you an idea about which mode you’re in (numbers missing? Must be linear…)

+1

I don’t like this automatic ordering!

Create a patter with data.
Create some after it, may have data or not (well that’s a lie as creating blank patterns doesn’t work like it used to!) But could of been created before.
Cut the pattern with data, so the pattern should still exist somewhere.
Try changing pattern number of the other patterns to find which pattern number this data still exists inside.

It doesn’t!

Definitely wont be using Keep Patterns sorted myself and I am one of these people who always uses a unique pattern for every single one in the sequence. But I do like to chuck in a load of variations and then be able to access or change them later, make unique and edits bits within effecting the existing ones, or try a few different options before I settle on which I’m going to keep. Even with all unique you still need a pattern pool IMO, and a way to access it. With this auto-updating numbers you really can’t do that.

for me it goes a bit further, as i just realized. i’m so OCD that i want my patterns to be in sequence, in order. so when i accidentally create a pattern where it isn’t in the sequence no more, so it is suddenly 1,2,3,4,10,5, for example, i’ll remove the 10-pattern. so if it would be possible to remove these numbers altogether i (or my OCD) would be very grateful :D

But isn’t the ability to compose in small chunks and reuse them the whole point of a tracker? If no repetitions are allowed then the notion of patterns becomes irrelevant and you might as well use a “regular” DAW…

i suppose this depends on the user. i hate repetition. i re-use chunks of course, but i don’t see how you couldn’t/wouldn’t do that in a ‘regular’ DAW. just copy-paste, and you’re done. imo, a pattern is simply a different and (often) more detailed way of composing your tracks, and has nothing whatsoever to do with repetition. i think the ‘point’ of a tracker is making music.

Most of the stuff I do with Renoise is backing tracks for live performances (drums, bass, some keys to add depth to a guitar/vocal duo), and hence tend to use it for more traditional song structure (generally variations on intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle 8, verse, chorus, chorus, outro); I love the ability to create half a dozen patterns, arrange them as 1,2,3,2,3,4,5,2,3,3,6; any changes to one chorus changes all of them. For my purposes that’s perfect, and it’s not something that can be done with copy and paste. Removing that option renders Renoise more or less redundant to my workflow. You may not find repeating blocks useful, but no-one is making you do it so removing the ability won’t help you at all but it will hinder me.

(And the origin of trackers was to be able to reuse chunks; back in the ancient past when we had to fit half a dozen songs in to next to no space it was a godsend to be able to reuse as much data as possible.)

Would still be perfectly possible having forced unique tracks and the new Alias function of 2.8.

But if you’re already using unique patterns why do you need to remove even the possibility of repeating them? That’s the bit I don’t understand. They don’t do you any harm and I use them a lot so getting rid of them seems pointless: you gain nothing, I lose something!

^ i agree with you that it may mess up your workflow. i also just found out that my OCD was already fixed with 2.8, just didn’t notice it. so i love that new option to sort stuff, really nice.