The Percussion Compo

I mean are we still talking about the compo? :unsure:

not sure, but it sort of feels like this breakcore discussion started from my hotknifenbutter thingie…
FYI it was meant to be glitchcore, was only designed to make ya’s crack a smile, and used no amens…the “break” is made from vocal samples mashed up coupled with some obscure break’s snare sound which I cant remember (will look it up if someone gives a f***)…and then the same vocals sliced up and slapped on top for extra added flavour and fun…

…but is not breakcore afaik…

it was probably my fault, i didnt mean to throw the thread off course.
it sparked my interest about what boundries you were looking for, an ended up a discussion on i guess exactly what you didnt want! :blink:

the question i asked should have been more refined.

@Alex. nah man, i wasnt refering to your music at all, i was just trying to clarify what i meant to bytesmasher. (i have a strange habit of usually not downloading music unless i’m looking for it.)

damn do i feel like a dick, what i was most refering to with the bcore stuff is bongra’s new release an some stuff aaron spectre mixes in his sets

OMFG we got a new entry! http://www.cdnalsi.net/percussion

Well, there are 4 entries to date, and on popular demand, I’ve extended the deadline until the 3rd of July. So that’s Sunday the last day to enter the compo.

Submitted:

Disqualified, 2 Parts

I’m working on this track with lots of percussion, but I’m also doing some melody things with different tom toms, soo to bad :)
Like to hear the entries.

You would probably had a lot more would this competition been held outside the holiday season :P

what holiday season is this?

oh i guess you mean vacation???

I’ve got a liddle short entry for you, but its in my old PC which is in pieces… (bought a new one on friday…)
I’ll throw the hard drive in this thing soon and email you if its not too late!

Well, the compo has ended and we have 10 great entries!

Now it’s time for the reviews and the results. Please give me a couple of days to do this. Thanks for participating, stand by!

http://cdnalsi.net/percussion

Yay! The compo is over and here are the reviews, results and downloads and stuff:

http://www.cdnalsi.net/percussion

Congrats and thanks for participating! :D

no link?? :huh:

oh cdnalsi…how poorly you percieve this end of the spectrum…

it was just a jam dude, took as long to make as it did to play back…so even though you hate it at least you think it sounds complex :)

EDIT: oh geez, theres no downloads…

well here ya go boys and girls, and I quote: a loop turned inside out and upside down

anyone else who participated, lets hear it!

Id have to partialy agree with you, alexstrain, but you cant say he wasnt trying to be fair, I mean he had 3 different scores for rythm, creativity and instruments. Don`t judge the man by his bad taste ;)

Anyway… and I quote,The intro nearly kicked me off my seat! :D

First of all, there’s a download link here If you click to cdnalsi.net/percussion and then the reviews, and then the results, you cannot miss the download link… It’s pretty weird how you’ve missed it.

Okay, now for the comments:

@alexstrain: I don’t hate your entry, I just expressed my critical thoughts about it… and I really don’t think that it being a jam does really matter, after all it’s a compo, and whether it’s a jam or you’ve worked at it 10 days, for me it’s the end result that matters, the entry. I can’t take into consideration the fact that you’ve just jammed on yours…

@XAVT: That intro really kicked me off my seat, great intro! :D

I didn’t fare well but I guess he was going for more of a jazz drum solo thing and I accept the criticism. It is kind of sloppy in retrospect. It was a hard contest to gage, was I supposed to rat-tat-tat drum line solos from big bands numbers? The answer turned out to be yes. I arranged some loops, filled some parts, got a complex “beat” going but yeah, it not micromanaged, it’s all about the arrangements and the criticism is on point based on that expectation. Good times.

no no, don’t get me wrong I had a good giggle… my shit stirring is not intended to spread bad vibes, only bring pre-existing ones to the surface to be propperly analyzed ;)

I might have delved into something more complex had my pc not died in the arse…but no matter, from my end it was a good jam :)

EDIT: ok I see the download link now…it was early morning here when I first saw the results…

BoTB, you should have won. no groove MY ARSE!

We’ll have to do a pseudo-percussion comp for people who DO like “breakcore’n’friends” :P