the problem with the perfect match of the samples in schism tracker

Good day. I have a lot of samples, but Schism Tracker only has 64 lines, and most of the samples are very long and I can’t connect them perfectly with them. How to properly organize the connection and smoothness of long samples on such a small looping track?
And I almost never guess the right tempo and speed for a certain sample to match my project perfectly. It was neither short nor long.
And the next question … When I change the notes of the samples, for some reason the speed changes at the same time, but I do not want to change the speed! It is necessary to change only a simple sample and everything … ((
I’m sorry to write here. I only downloaded this first tracker yesterday, but I did not find a solution to these problems, as well as normal lessons on this tracker.

1 Like

I have no idea about Schism tracker but I am sure there will be someone here to help you.Anyway did you try Renoise? it will make your life a lot easier than Schism tracker

I’ll probably try. But I can ask you something. For example, I have a piano sample that plays for 10 seconds, and it’s not just one, but many of them and they are very high quality. Here’s my problem always with such long samples to get in tempo and to create a perfect repetition of this track …

Download the Renoise demo it’s fully functional except exporting and rendering instruments.There is a beat synch in Renoise that will stretch your samples to the tempo of your track.The best way of course is to already have the samples bpm .In Renoise each track can have more than 64 lines so you can fit your samples perfectly.

1 Like
  1. Learn basics of sampling.
  2. Schismtracker has manual Schism Tracker Users Manual : Unknown : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive
  3. Trackers not suited very well for loop based music, they more like classic sampler with sequencer. Go to step one.

You can have 200 rows in a Schism Tracker pattern. Press F2 in the pattern editor and you can change the pattern length from the menu.

Having said that, Schism is pretty old skool and you might be better off with something more modern like Renoise or the freeware options Sunvox and OpenMPT. The strength of Schism is in its keyboard-only interface, which can be really fast to use once having learned the keyboard shortcuts. And lots of great tracks to download for it.

1 Like

Of course, it’s a sample and not an instrument. A sample is a recorded instrument with a specific length. Usually there’s no chance changing the notes without changing the speed of the played sample. When you’ re editing higher notes with this sample, the sample will be played faster, and it will be played slower if you’re editing lower notes. If you want to avoid this you have to record your desired instrument note by note. The result is that every sample has the same length, but you need one sample for each note. Or instead you can use Renoise and use VST instruments instead of samples, which is the best way if you ask me. But samples do have one advantage, which is that you can use the pattern effect commands of your DAW. But that’s it. For everything else VST instruments are the better choice. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

thank you so much!

ok, i will. Thanks for answer!

ok, thanks))

1 Like

But samples do have one advantage, which is that you can use the pattern effect commands of your DAW. But that’s it. For everything else VST instruments are the better choice. :slightly_smiling_face:

:thinking: this is clearly your subjective opinion and that’s fair, but i’d say the opposite, while VSTs are a good choice in many cases, samples are usually my choice.

1 Like

Of course it’s just my opinion, no law. But if someone could tell me the advantage of using samples for sounds just like pads, strings, leads or any other tone you’re creating melodies with, I would be enlightened. So what exactly is the advantage of using samples? Not to mention the fact that you first have to record every note of every desired instrument to get proper samples, which is also very time consuming and cumbersome. And the song file is getting really big compared to a song file with less samples involved. Samples are good for drums or fx if you ask me.

You’re welcome!

Sample are less CPU hungry than synths…
More ecological (less power comsumption)

Less cpu consumption is one thing, you can keep processing a sample over and over turning it into something completely different without spending any extra cpu.
If you need to make changes to a sound i can find a lot more ways to manipulate samples.
You can put samples in layers, not so easy or convenient using VST.
You can be 100% sure the sample won’t crash on you, slow down the GUI or work inpredictable in any way or form.
If you collaborate with someone who has different plugins than you it could be problematic.
A sample always sound 100% identical every time, while a synth can contain drifting from LFOs or phase differences making it sound different everytime you hit a note. Samples don’t contain bugs that can lead to unpredictable behaviour.
I could go on, but i think you got my point.

2 Likes

Yes I got you, even if I don’t agree on every single point. :slightly_smiling_face:
Of course samples do have a purpose. In my opinion the advantages using VSTs instead of samples while creating melodies outweight the disadvantages, personally I would never go back messing around with samples in that case. And CPU consumption has never been a problem to me at all.

1 Like

Renoise sampler is very powerfull🙂

1 Like