The Send Device Amount Slider

Hey, I don’t like how the new precision in the send device is calibrated very much, with the decibels it’s difficult to send any signal below -20dB. I end up typing a lot of shit with the keyboard, while I would rather be tweaking around.

Well, changing the % amount to dB was a request done by a lot of users… i think you would piss them off if you want this changed back again.
You can still hold the CTRL key while dragging the slider to interpolate 0.030 dB each time (if you require smaller steps).
If you require smaller values, you would be needing to type them in as well when it was still percentage anyway.

I probably need to spend more time with it before making complaints, but I still think it would be helpful to put a little more space for the -20 to -40dB point. The CTRL key works fine yes, but I notice that I never use it for the bit at 0 to -20 and always for -20 to -40db… That has to say something, right?

it’s quite strange…

dB scale is logarithmic, so the difference between -20 and -40 is far less than -6 and 0

yes, but the factor is relative to the actual loudness: the absolute loudness difference is way bigger in 0…-3.

I’m not saying that he is doing something wrong in theory, but I’m surprised to know that he always works in such a thin loudness range.

also, taking in count our considerations, asking for a % range is even more strange, after all.

or maybe I’m just taking his words too generally.

I dunno, but I noticed that a lot of times the sweet spot for sending stuff to a delay or reverb is around the -20dB/-30dB mark… Maybe because of loud VST effects?

I started setting the volume at the send out a bit lower, that’s also a solution. If I cut off 10dB there that should be about the same right? I forget, can you add and substract like that with logarithmics?

log[a* b] = log[a] + log[b]
log[a / b] = log[a] - log[b]

so you basically should multiply and divide instead of adding and subtracting

of course…

note to self:
do not reply to messages on lunch time.

Thanks hehe, I used to know this :)