The WIP thread - work In progress

@eretsua : What about that version?

I also increased the volume slightly and decreased the decay time of the bass a bit.

2 Likes

Pretty silent here…

I made an Electro track yesterday and finished it too large part. Proper mixing comes next, but I think it sounds quite good already.

… and I used Renoise :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I love your “Track Easter 012” …
Only one minor thing I’d try out, the chord that is underneath from the start has a certain resonant like tone to it which is great and sounds good especially in the beginning but maybe it gets too much? I’d try notch pass filter or scoop out mids in the section that begin from 1:32 and until next section begin?

1 Like

“April Electro 002”
I think your mix sounds very good indeed, I like the sounds but feel like something is missing as the song goes … maybe some low pass filtering automation?

1 Like

Thanks. That’s a good point as someone else proposed to mute the pad completely. I’ll try that.

I automatized the Filter of the Pad. I think this is what you meant. The track needs some more interesting elements towards the end.

You could use more “groove” for example by adding some 808 percussions (bongo, click, stick etc.) and lazers. Here’s an example how it could be done. And you could also bring some variations in terms of chords, and I’m not talking about the notes that you stole from me. :wink: I’m talking about a second chord pad, or an additional pad or string, or some synths or lush bells or whatever. Many tracks in this style also have longer sections without any chords, but in this case there have to be other elements to fill the gaps. So make sure there’s enough background stuff. Personally I also do almost always a section without the main bass. Something to “calm down” and beam you into outer space. A section in which pads are the dominant elements.

1 Like

Thanks TNT! Yup, I need to add some more tiny short elements to have more variations. The track you posted is great as it’s very beat oriented and reduced. Still it’s interesting and doesn’t get boring.

"I’m not talking about the notes that you stole from me. "

hehe… :grin: It’s just C minor. When I turned the Transpose knob in Diva I thought “hey that sounds like this recent TNT track” So it’s just C minor at different octaves. Later F minor also comes in.

Yes, that’s why the track is a good example for groove and how to fill gaps. It’s simple, but “effective”. As you said, it never gets boring even if the composition is basically a beat and very few melodious sounds. I could bring more examples, but you know that stuff yourself, right?

Which is exactly what I’m talking about. The C minor chord is C, D# and G. :point_up:
But yeah, minor chords are so much better than major chords. You’re allowed to use it in every future track! :upside_down_face:

Hi,

can you help me with this one, please? What’s wrong here regarding the mix? Here some ideas:

• Maybe too many resonances? So a resonant mix?
  • Too resonant only on the transients, esp the drums?
  • A compression problem?
  • Too much dynamic range, no contrast here in depth?
  • Too wide all the instruments, so contrast in width?
  • Should I use some saturation on some resonant tracks to even out the overall frequency balance?
  • Are my ears too old?

Curious to read your ideas :slight_smile:

Tips are always welcome. :smiley: Do we have an Electro thread?

How do you get this wideness of your tracks? I think my tracks sound too narrow most of the time.

Your mix feels very indirect, which is caused by the width and the strong reverb I think.
The overall balance is quite good, I think, but the drums can be louder. There’s a strange separation of the drums and the rest and the guitars sound quite thin. Did you heavily low cut them maybe? I would leave more low end of the other instruments as well and if it gets muddy maybe lower the 500 Hz range.
There are some resonances in the 1-2 kHz region, especially when guitar + synths are playing at the same time (e.g. 3:35). I would EQ that range on the master to check if it sounds better.

The kick has too much reverb, but I think that’s the style, right?

1 Like

Great song. I love the intro. Nice 80’s vibe.

Isn’t the bass a bit boomy, maybe try EQ down the bass 3dB around 200-250hz?

Is the guitar reef lacking a bit of body and clarity? maybe it’s clashing a little with the bass and it will sound better after making the bass less boomy? but If you have a multiband saturator (Saturn) you could try saturate the beefy area or the whole sound, OR maybe just turn up its volume entirely and see what happen. I don’t know just speaking out loud :wink:

2 Likes

Very helpful guys, thanks a lot. If you have any more ideas, please write it down…

Yes exactly, well expressed. Yes I lowcutted a lot I think, this was one of the mixes where I am using the old Filter3 as highpass (not moog mode), because it nicely can attenuate the fundamendals, if done right - which I didn’t. Ok, will try to give the guitars more bottom and also eqing the ear peak area 1-3kHz or so. Would you use an dynamical eqing here?

I have the impression that this song mainly is suffering from a harsh transients problem, maybe because I did the compression settings wrongly. So dynamical eqing could address only the beginnings of the sounds. Or just fixing the transients…

It’s so wide, because there actually is a stereo spreader on the master bus. Which I then “compensated” in the mix… Some tracks also you Renoise’s nasty width slider, and then the stereo expander’s surround slider to align the phase again somehow. It’s a mess…

Thanks for your ideas! Ok you saying the same, have to fix the guitars. Will try saturn then. Bass is boomy, will check on headphones.

Yes, you could try with a signal follower and EQ or even just a gainer to lower the synths when the guitar is playing, etc or mute and check if the element is really needed. I also used the digital high pass filter a lot, but someone complained my mixes sound midrangey and nasal. That was the problem.

I would set all FX again to zero and the width to normal again and start from scratch. Actually imo the mix sounds better in mono than in stereo.

Annoying stuff found on my hdd…

1 Like

Personally I would push the lower mids of the synth bass as well as cut the low ends a little and push the volume slightly. Besides of that I think the strings, pads and guitar lack lower mids and low end. It seems that you’ve cutted too much. It’s easy to cut a little too much, especially when it comes to synths and pads. So in summary I would say bass and kick are quite dominant and the rest is very flat. Nevertheless the balance (in terms of the loudness) is already good.

This is how to mix “Guitartest7”. :wink:

Nope, AFAIK there’s no thread for specific music styles except the “Metal Thread”.

There is also a synthwave thread iirc

The 80s… Or something

Still chaos…

Only added a bit new stuff…

2 Likes