Ticks per line and the dreaded groove control

I’m assuming that Renoise still runs on ticks per line??Its just been formulated with the LPB settings so that its easy for anyone to understand?

I’ve been using the Dirtywave M8 tracker a lot recently.It is pure hexadecimal and everything is based on the ticks per line old school way of doing things.What caught my attention is the groove control in the M8.

The M8 has a separate page that contains all tables for groove control.On this page you can have many tables, each with your own custom groove,the grooves are organised under a groove command,you can switch between the groove tables by changing the command, 01,02.03 e.t.c in the pattern editor.

The groove tables can do some really interesting things.Each table goes from 0-F (16 lines for each table),each line can contain a tick setting.You can also have a tick setting of 0 which will cause the table to stop running at that line and it will start again from the beginning, it will simultaneously affect the pattern in the same way that it is applied to,if you have nothing input for the line, the table skips this line and continues on,again this also affects the pattern that the groove is being applied to, in the same way.

So for example if you input no value for a particular line in a groove table, when you apply that groove to a pattern via groove command it will also skip the line in the pattern.

The results from using these tables are incredible.Rhythms start to bend and warp and change in all kinds of ways.By simply changing a groove table you can transform a whole song into something completely different.It really is very powerful.

I’m aware you can command BPM and LPB changes in Renoise however it is not quite the same thing.
For one thing these commands have to be input repeatedly, secondly its really hard to tell with multiple commands if you are in keeping with the overall bpm and time structure, this can quickly become a headache and you will need to do some calculations.On the M8 while editing a groove table it will automatically tell you how many ticks in total the table amounts to, so you always know how you are affecting the overall rhythm.

I bring this up because i would absolutely love for this to be implemented into Renoise in some way, shape or form.

I love Renoise but the groove control is woeful.Groove tables or even a single groove table would be amazing.I hope this is taken into consideration for the future.I can’t overstate how powerful the groove tables are,they really blow me away.

I would upload examples but the M8’s sound driver is not playing nice with my focusrite soundcard atm.

Anyone else have a M8?Or experience with groove tables?

Here is a video showcasing groove tables,however this is very basic and does not display the madness that you can get out of a groove table.It might be useful to see if you don’t get what I’m talking about.