Tint Tracks In Their Colors, Not Just Show Them As A Bar On Top

C’mon… give it some welly!

I said i am happy i can turn off the color bars
What has that to do with the matrix ?
In fact in this thread i haven’t mentioned the matrix but you decided to tell everybody i don’t use it
Not sure what you point is at all really to be honest
I think i should maybe just shut up and not bother posting anymore ;)
No worries

Bungle

No dude, keep posting. You are obviously a good contributor else I wouldn’t have noticed/misread anything of the sort. Your tutorial videos are great too.

Sorry, just reading into stuff too much. It’s not very often I get to throwdown a “put some elbow into it” either, and it turns out only Canadians understand the reference.

I learned something new. :)

when I was reading the changelog for 2.5, I was super excited, thinking this ^^^^ was how it was implemented. The colored bar is certainly a pixel-waste.

I agree it doesn’t really do much at the moment, the slightly enlarged version Taktik has posted above is an improvement though still to small imo. Track coloring for me could mean a clear overview of similar tracks, like you’d give all drum tracks (kick/snare/hat etc) the same color…so when scrolling through tracks there is no mistake what track belongs to what ‘group’. Right now, you’d have to concentrate on a very narrow line to distinguish them.

Also, I’m colorblind ;)

possible solution
https://forum.renoise.com/t/done-pattern-matrix-cell-color-track-color/26869

haha i cannot beleive you lot/(men?) are having a discusion about colours. Next thread is started by a girl explaining how to tweak the renoise oil and engine guts.

Joking aside, hey if it works for some people. I’m ok with what’s presented though.

huu hu huu … So, you know, the guy who change oil and keeps the engine running just threw pink on the table :D ;)

You already made this. Now all you’d need is add a slider to the GUI prefs to set the opacity, and set it to 0% as default. :(

If it’s ugly, you must have done something very different from what for example dblue did with photoshop… simply drawing a slightly opaque rectangle across it? Actually… is that even easily (that is, quickly) possible in 2D pixel pushing mode? I guess not?

What job though… personally I don’t think the existing bars are hard to see at all (just that the default colors have too little saturation)… and no matter how huge the color bar is, you still can’t see what kind of track you’re on by looking for example at the bottom of it. These bars in the pattern editor and mixer mean you always have to shift your eyes up.

And what about the drop down menus where you select tracks? As a 2 pixel border to the left or something?

The track scopes?

I like the default colors are less saturated, then you know which tracks hasnt been assigned a “group”, and I must say this does the job for me seperating the tracks.

You’re right, but what about the preset colors in the color picker? They’re hardly colors. It would rock if we could change and save those.

It would also be great to be able to simply turn off automatic track coloring… why have extremely weak colors just so you can disinguish them from strong colors? One could use hue for “type of instrument” and saturation for “track type”, like “main”, “utility send” or whatever…

Well, I’m for either completely solving this issue, or sticking to what we have now.

mick rippons approach
http://mickrippon.com/pic/screenshots/reno…up_colours2.gif

looks to me like the way to go.

While we are busy with fixing bugs, I can not promise we can add this to the betas. This is quite a big bunch of work. But I’ll try to.

Yep, that’s better, but for me slightly tinted track backgrounds (or tinted foregound) would give faster and easier to read overall view when accompanied with current track color markers at the top.

It doesn’t have to be fugly, and even if it is, it would be faster to read. Generally color coding allows me to get organized view, fast, and it would suit track matrix well too (color coding repeating tracks or color coding by instruments used).

edit:
I just noticed that mick rippon mockup has tinted playbar, it’s pretty good visual indicator if tinted backgrounds are too much.

I’m only for completely solving this issue.

It’s quite an improvement.
But I’m still with Johann.
… But yes, if the original idea gets implemented, I would probably use very stark, ugly and down-right childish colors. Then don’t feel dirty.

I just had a look at Beta3.

Can we improve the design on the block of colour in the DSP chain? Designers?

I don’t really like the way it looks. Kind of feels just thrown in there like a cheap hack… It’s also counter intuitive to the idea that the matrix is optional in 2.5

I don’t think it would bother me so much if it looked better, somehow, magically.

Right now it just doesn’t feel very slick. Maybe put it on the right side? Make it smaller and a square? Or get rid of it and do MickRippon’s design?

Yeah, even though I have ‘track colors’ switched off in the pattern editor & mixer (+ pattern matrix is minimized), you still have the color boxes in the dsp tab. Which imo also should be switched off there.

Don’t wanna create yet another color thread, but colored track scopes would be the shit and provide for a way to visually group tracks. Much needed, especially when working with a lot of tracks.

I would still have to look up :) I´m lazy. But its about workflow speed.