Tint Tracks In Their Colors, Not Just Show Them As A Bar On Top

Maybe I’m alone on this, but I think it’s perfect as it is, though I have to use bright colors to better distinct them. (I don’t care if it looks childish!) <_<

If you put the color behind the text, then you run into situations where you can’t read the text, and it wouldn’t look nice with my bright color choice.

Alternative where you can change opacity for background.

Honestly, guys… something like ^this^ is not the end of the world! (Although this is a rather strong example just to prove the point)

If it’s possible to do it, then simply make it optional to enable/disable it with variable opacity or something similar. It’s totally pointless to argue what is better or worse, or to suggest that this kind of colouring would somehow be childish, because ultimately it’s a matter of personal taste. The concept of what would look best for the user was thrown out of the window as soon as we were able to customise our own themes, and decorate Renoise with whatever ugly colours and textures we prefer. :)

Overall, let me - the user - decide what is suitable or tasteful to display on my own screen.

If being a child means I can have more fun and perceive the enviroment better, I never want to grow up

Thanks for the various mockups, it was kinda fail of me to not include one when posting the thread…

On the other hand:

:unsure:

wohoo! the 80’s are back! :)

:drummer:

yes!!

Need customizable colors in the mixer and in the pattern editor too!!!

+1

:walkman:

Oh well… If it could be optional… Why not. But I’m honestly a bit afraid that Renoise will become over-floated with too many options.

There is room in the GUI for a checkbox or slider.
Options like this does not add to the complexity of the program since its a no brainer and would by most be considered fun to tweak to their own preference.

i think its very helpful to get back into a song you’ve worked on a while ago.
so it would be easier for me to see critical tracks or even my brain recognizes the color-code …
its like getting back to your soldering plate and knowing of which cable has what purpose.

most of the time there isnt much space for the correct lettering of a track. and i think a color has something that describes more than a few words.
btw: theres no rename- shortcut.

I’ve experimented a bit with tinting the whole pattern, but this is not going to work. Even if its optional, this badly conflicts with color themes, pattern syntax highlighting and looks just, well, ugly.

Simply making the color slots bigger also does the job?

Attachment 776 not found.

the way it is now,is fine by me :D

[quote=“taktik, post:32, topic:26748”]
I’ve experimented a bit with tinting the whole pattern, but this is not going to work. Even if its optional, this badly conflicts with color themes, pattern syntax highlighting and looks just, well, ugly.

Simply making the color slots bigger also does the job?

Attachment 776 not found.
It is fine with me…
How does the screen look with the tint-test experiment?
One that seems to be looking nice and one with a theme that looks butt-ugly…

Bigger “color labels” would be nice but I can see how track tinting could get really ugly. I find that I need to make very dramatic color choices for the labels to be useful (easily and quickly recognizable).

What about tinting just the “text” to the color label and leave the background alone?

I think that would be a good thing. If people don’t want to use the option they don’t have to.

I just want to say for the record that no matter if this feature is added or not, it will not really affect my overall experience or enjoyment of Renoise, even though I do genuinely think it could be useful (and done correctly).

However…

I do find it incredibly ironic and funny that people are talking about the possibility of this feature looking ugly in certain conditions, when there is already fugly shit like this which comes officially shipped as part of the Renoise package:

(No offense to nula, but… god damn that is some ugly shit)

Dude, that’s the Spacepigs theme which existed Fast Tracker II. It’s an inside joke for old men (and women).

(I’m not against dicussion but…) THAT’S UGLY

Well if it is going to stay as it is thats fine here as long as it stays turn offable
Cause it is near useless to me

Bungle