Tiny USB ASIO device recommendations?

I use Renoise with a lot of VST instruments - always have. My biggest problem is when I want to use Renoise “on the go” with a laptop. I use Windows Primary Sound device. I’ve tried ASIO4ALL etc but no matter what I do, I keep getting audio glitches. Plug in my Tascam US2x2 USB ASIO audio interface and everything is fine…

I admit that I am using more VST instruments than I ever have. I didn’t really have such a problem with less VST instances… but…

So… just wondering if anybody has discovered a really small USB ASIO “sound card” that works well? I’m wondering if one of those guitar interface devices may be the way to go… ?

I stumbled on this the other day. I’ve never used it, but I stumbled on their website, and I stumbled on it again while looking stuff up on Sweetwater… this is being marketing as, “the best tiny interface.”

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EVO4--audient-evo-4-usb-audio-interface

YMMV. I am not suggesting you buy this. I am only stating, “I stumbled on this.” Maybe it is amazing.

1 Like

Yeah I’m contemplating buying one of these:
https://www.behringer.com/product.html;jsessionid=44AE264A40727BA12278524F4D8FDE6C?modelCode=P0198

I had a similar device called a Rockfrog but I can’t get the drivers working on Win 8… but it is about 10 years old to be fair :slight_smile:

I guess there are very few people who really want an ASIO soundcard with no inputs.

I own the EVO4 since a month, replacing my TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt 6. The EVO4 is awesome, sounds great, hardware and software operate great and very responsive (see my experience on behringer software below.) The EVO4 driver client is just a tiny minimal drop down menu in the taskbar for swtichting buffersizes, exactly what you need! Furthermore you get some extra software and some free plugins.

I had it for 116,- or so.

I also owned a Behringer FCA1616. I got it for free and at the time I thought I needed al the in- and outputs, but the drivers were terrible, I couldn’t even set the buffer to exact numbers like 512, because the slider that ’ I think’. was for the buffersize, just moved passed it :slight_smile: It was terrible . I’m glad I got rid off it. Although the hardware was ok, I guess. I worked around it by installing ASIO4ALL, but then you use ASIO4ALL, ASIO is exactly what you are not using, so there are problems with syncing the sound or someting like that.

Behringer hardware is ok, especially these days, but beware if you also need to use software with it, their software is just some generic garbage that doesn’t work like you hoped it would.