Tips For Effective And Practical Use Of Room Simulator Tb Isone

Hi,
I don’t have and can’t afford buying a good pair of monitors, but I do have AKG MK2 headphones, which I think are pretty nice. But I read everywhere that it is not good to mix, eq etc. just using headphones. I agree since I experimented the effects of this. Some time ago I found out that exist vst plugins to simulate the flat monitors using headphones. The TB Isone has everywhere enthusiastic reviews, so I’m trying it.

Here’s the link: http://www.toneboosters.com/tb-isone/

It seems really nice, but I have no idea about the science behind it and the manual it’s not so clear about it. How much is it important to have the right settings for ear size, head size and so on? I’m really not sure how to set all these parameters.

Anyone here already using this plugin and has some suggestions?

I think the head and earsize refers to how close you want to position yourself to the audio source (They are HRTF properties for the binaural customisation of your audio).
The plugin seems a real affordable crossreference alternative as well if you have terrible room accoustics.

Yes, it’s affordable and seems to do a pretty good job in the simulation. My problem is that I’m not sure which settings to use. I mean, how shall I know when I’m hearing the audio flat enough, at the right “simulated” distance to be able to correctly mix and eq it?

That’s usually hard to tell when you are doing stuff out of the blue, the best recommendation is to use other fully mastered songs and then tweak the dials until you hear distinct audio from all instruments yet they don’t fatigue your hearing when listening for long periods of time to it.
In that regard you mostly still need to cross reference your own music against fully mastered songs of the same type and genre to get a rough picture that you are on the correct way mixing (and perhaps mastering) it.